Tip of Carbon Blade Broke off a Little! Should I worry about it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
So at my work I have to use plastic nsf cutting boards, and they catch my sharp thin carbon blade, and because of it my tip broke off some. After getting this Japanese knife I see now why western blades are better for heavy constant speedy use, instead of precise slower work like with higher end restaurants. I’m always going going going I can’t really take my time.

Should I just ride this out or is there something I can do to get rid of this and Hekp Prevent this from happening again?

Some makers have the tip slightly thicker. Others round it on purpose. You may ask yourself whether you really need a symmetric spear point, or can live with a rounded tip. In which case I wouldn't just work from the spine on, but do it only half way from the spine, and the other half from the edge.

Some makers have the tip slightly thicker. Others round it on purpose. You may ask yourself whether you really need a symmetric spear point, or can live with a rounded tip. In which case I wouldn't just work from the spine on, but do it only half way from the spine, and the other half from the edge.

What do you mean do it only from half way on the spine? I’m sorry I’m pretty fresh to this. And I mean the tip hasn’t caused any problems so far... I would like to have a sharp point though (which it still is) so I can do some precise minor incisions.

awesome I appreciate that link. I guess my question, which I posed on that thread is, will it be more prone to chipping again if I leave the chip or if I fix the chip? Again, I Have to use those crappy hard plastic NSF cutting boards and they are horrible for my thin carbon japanese blade!

Hard plastic NSF boards will tend to dull your edge quicker than a wood board, but losing a tip like you did is a technique issue more than a cutting board issue, IMO.

It's been suggested elsewhere that you may want to create a somewhat rounded point that is less prone to digging into the board that a needle sharp point. Something to consider.

Rick

Hard plastic NSF boards will tend to dull your edge quicker than a wood board, but losing a tip like you did is a technique issue more than a cutting board issue, IMO.

It's been suggested elsewhere that you may want to create a somewhat rounded point that is less prone to digging into the board that a needle sharp point. Something to consider.

Rick
Ahhh okay I see why now they said a rounder tip, thanks for explaining. Yeah I’m trying to get out of the habit of rocking, and try to be able to slice/push/raise more often.

Leave the chip as is. Call it love marks. An endless reminder to your poor cutting technique. Proof that you really don't belong anywhere near a kitchen.

I can hear the chuckle from your Japanese blade now, enjoying your lack of understanding of the purity and hidden potential of the almighty Eastern steel.

ive broken the tip off pretty much every knife ive ever had to be honest and i never bother to fix it because it will gradually come back to a point with every sharpening.

If you keep breaking tips because you prefer rocking knives, maybe you shouldn't try to change your technique but change the knife instead. In the end the knife is a tool to maximize your cooking efficiency...

The pointy end is going to be the thinnest and weakest part of the blade, so it is the mostly likely spot to break. If you restore that pointiness, future damage is more likely.
My suji had some recent damage to the tip, but it was more of an aesthetic issue than practical issue, since I don't use the tip very much. I used an Atoma plate to make it pointier, but I didn't restore the full point. It doesn't look as bad now, I didn't have to spend that much time, and there's less of a chance that I'll lose another mm or two in the future.

Prevent this from happening again?
It's not the board or the knife, it's your technique.

Push cut my friend.

And yes that's an easy fix. Turn the knife upside down and grind the spine about 3" from the point to the tip in a pulling motion only.

Just gotta say this is barely broke. It also doesn’t matter what knife you use tips are gonna break or edges will need to be fixed that’s just what happens when you use your tools and do work. Obviously you can refine your technique to the point you are just maintaining the profile/edge but there are definitely plenty of broken tips and chips that are part of learning. Also you might find you don’t like certain profiles like thin tips and obviously a knife that has a thicker tip and isn’t as hard will be less prone to chipping but it also won’t cut the same nor hold as good of an edge.

Leave the chip as is. Call it love marks. An endless reminder to your poor cutting technique. Proof that you really don't belong anywhere near a kitchen.

I can hear the chuckle from your Japanese blade now, enjoying your lack of understanding of the purity and hidden potential of the almighty Eastern steel.
Haha oh the almighty eastern steel is definitely teaching me a thing or to. But that doesn’t mean I don’t belong in a kitchen, it just means I’ve never used real Japanese steel, and also that I wasn’t “trained” as a chef nor would I ever want to be called that stupid title, it’s just an arrogant word Cook! I’ve learned from watching and Only bad western knives that are Made and Intended to rock. Mr. Chef (or arrogant cook) doom you couldn’t handle working in the kitchen/restaurant I work in, just as I probably couldn’t handle working in yours. I’m no fancy cook, we don’t pull out tweezers to plate, we cook real food that’s delicious for Thousands of people in a day; slangin hash mayne. I bet I cook better grits, and chicken pastry (not dumblins, pastry), and especially pork/bbq/Eastern NC bbq (not that doctored sauced pork, only salt, pepper, and real ACV, no blueberry reduction creme frishe), than you e ever even tasted. I’ve seen about 20 “chefs” come and go in a matter of two or three years, all of which Only 2 could handle working in that kitchen, and only two that could actually cook good food.

ive broken the tip off pretty much every knife ive ever had to be honest and i never bother to fix it because it will gradually come back to a point with every sharpening.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking.
If you keep breaking tips because you prefer rocking knives, maybe you shouldn't try to change your technique but change the knife instead. In the end the knife is a tool to maximize your cooking efficiency...

Yeah I’ve been specifically not rocking anymore, I don’t want to go back to western knives...

OP, sh*t happens all the time at work-I chip tips all the time. Work on your technique more but with the hustle and bustle of kitchen life occasional damage like this is part of the reality. If nothing else you can practice resetting the tip in a way that works for you.
Don’t sweat the small stuff. These are tools after all.

You don't have to go all the way back to western knives to continue rock chopping; I've had no issue with the 'mid-range' Japanese knives around 60 HRC.

I think it's silly to just be derisive of rock-chopping or western technique; it is after all highly efficient. In the end the knife is a tool, and a better tool is supposed to make you work faster / more efficient, not slower...

The pointy end is going to be the thinnest and weakest part of the blade, so it is the mostly likely spot to break. If you restore that pointiness, future damage is more likely.
My suji had some recent damage to the tip, but it was more of an aesthetic issue than practical issue, since I don't use the tip very much. I used an Atoma plate to make it pointier, but I didn't restore the full point. It doesn't look as bad now, I didn't have to spend that much time, and there's less of a chance that I'll lose another mm or two in the future.
Yeah exactly I think I’m just going to leave it.
It's not the board or the knife, it's your technique.

Push cut my friend.

And yes that's an easy fix. Turn the knife upside down and grind the spine about 3" from the point to the tip in a pulling motion only.
Yeah thanks everyone for showing me the light on it being the technique, haha I was blaming the board, when it’s just my own fault.
Just gotta say this is barely broke. It also doesn’t matter what knife you use tips are gonna break or edges will need to be fixed that’s just what happens when you use your tools and do work. Obviously you can refine your technique to the point you are just maintaining the profile/edge but there are definitely plenty of broken tips and chips that are part of learning. Also you might find you don’t like certain profiles like thin tips and obviously a knife that has a thicker tip and isn’t as hard will be less prone to chipping but it also won’t cut the same nor hold as good of an edge.
Yeah exactly
You don't have to go all the way back to western knives to continue rock chopping; I've had no issue with the 'mid-range' Japanese knives around 60 HRC.

I think it's silly to just be derisive of rock-chopping or western technique; it is after all highly efficient. In the end the knife is a tool, and a better tool is supposed to make you work faster / more efficient, not slower...
Yeah you’re right on that... thanks for saying that. I’ll have to look into something like that for my next knife. I’m thinking a Deba.
OP, sh*t happens all the time at work-I chip tips all the time. Work on your technique more but with the hustle and bustle of kitchen life occasional damage like this is part of the reality. If nothing else you can practice resetting the tip in a way that works for you.
Don’t sweat the small stuff. These are tools after all.
Yeah you’re right, and like someone else said, it’s a beauty mark. And it’s a tool I need it’s going to have some wear and tear.

Thanks everyone for your help! Even you Chef Doom, I’m sure you have a lot I could learn. What kind of chef are you? Fine dining? You watch chefs table?

Haha oh the almighty eastern steel is definitely teaching me a thing or to. But that doesn’t mean I don’t belong in a kitchen, it just means I’ve never used real Japanese steel, and also that I wasn’t “trained” as a chef nor would I ever want to be called that stupid title, it’s just an arrogant word Cook! I’ve learned from watching and Only bad western knives that are Made and Intended to rock. Mr. Chef (or arrogant cook) doom you couldn’t handle working in the kitchen/restaurant I work in, just as I probably couldn’t handle working in yours. I’m no fancy cook, we don’t pull out tweezers to plate, we cook real food that’s delicious for Thousands of people in a day; slangin hash mayne. I bet I cook better grits, and chicken pastry (not dumblins, pastry), and especially pork/bbq/Eastern NC bbq (not that doctored sauced pork, only salt, pepper, and real ACV, no blueberry reduction creme frishe), than you e ever even tasted. I’ve seen about 20 “chefs” come and go in a matter of two or three years, all of which Only 2 could handle working in that kitchen, and only two that could actually cook good food.

That may be true, but chicken pastries are for the poor, pork is evil according to the bible, and I don't break the tips on knives.

Well, not MY knives. My friends knives are a different story 😂

A deba is not meant to as 'a sturdier chef knife'.... it has a different role in mind (fish butchery). Also, gyutos can be perfectly fine for rock-chopping; it's just the steel type where you might make a different choice.

A deba is not meant to as 'a sturdier chef knife'.... it has a different role in mind (fish butchery). Also, gyutos can be perfectly fine for rock-chopping; it's just the steel type where you might make a different choice.

Maybe he was thinking yo deba? Which that's fine for whacking heads and stuff but it's not a suitable gyuto replacement.

Oh right forgot about western debas. Haven't ever used those but I guess with the spine thickness they don't exactly make great carrot cutters? :D

Oh right forgot about western debas. Haven't ever used those but I guess with the spine thickness they don't exactly make great carrot cutters? :D

It depends. You can cut very thin slices with a thick knife, but going halfway through it will indeed cause cracking.

I've broken many point off knives over the years. Usually just maybe 1/8-inch or less but none were from poor cutting technique. I have a brick floor and anything that lands point first on it will suffer. The last one was a Murray Carter slicer about 2 weeks ago. My Chessie seems to have pulled it off the cutting board but I'm glad it didn't land point first on her! Bottom line, it took me about 5 minutes on a 400 grit stone to reshape the point. While not the same as when Murray made it, nothing really has changed in its cutting performance.

That may be true, but chicken pastries are for the poor, pork is evil according to the bible, and I don't break the tips on knives.

Well, not MY knives. My friends knives are a different story 😂
hahaha! man I tell you what though, if you have some of my (really my grandmas recipe) of chicken pastry it will Change Your Life! Including the pork too! I've already f%cked up though, I've the hair on the side of my head quite a few times, and I definitely wasn't supposed to do that according to The Law; side note I do Love me some JESUS! And HE Loves us all! No rules or regulations with HIM, and HE definitely wouldn't Ever Break the Tip of a Knife
I know it's not "meant" to be a "sturdier chef Knife" but it Is a Thicker blade, intended for fish butchery like you said; but I can still use that for general purpose. It's not like a yanagabi which is so thin it's hard to just be chopping. But I don't like gyutos really, maybe I haven't found the one I like, but most are just like average chef knives; and I don't want a regular chef knife. Do you have some interesting gyutos you could suggest?

Maybe he was thinking yo deba? Which that's fine for whacking heads and stuff but it's not a suitable gyuto replacement.

It depends. You can cut very thin slices with a thick knife, but going halfway through it will indeed cause cracking.
see I didn't really think of the thicker blade causing problem when it came to simple slicing of vegetables! Is this true?! I just liked how the deba had a Thick blade, but if it's going to cause problems then i'm really glad we've had this conversation!
I've broken many point off knives over the years. Usually just maybe 1/8-inch or less but none were from poor cutting technique. I have a brick floor and anything that lands point first on it will suffer. The last one was a Murray Carter slicer about 2 weeks ago. My Chessie seems to have pulled it off the cutting board but I'm glad it didn't land point first on her! Bottom line, it took me about 5 minutes on a 400 grit stone to reshape the point. While not the same as when Murray made it, nothing really has changed in its cutting performance.
haha yeah thank THE LORD on that one! That would have been Pretty Horrible!

Wow this thread is all over the place...deba as a studier chef knife replacement? Why would you want a fillet knife as your daily driver? Also if you're breaking tips off, it's 100% your technique and not the board nor the knife and it probably means you're gunna trash a perfectly good deba anyway...KISS, keep it simple stup...

Wow this thread is all over the place...deba as a studier chef knife replacement? Why would you want a fillet knife as your daily driver? Also if you're breaking tips off, it's 100% your technique and not the board nor the knife and it probably means you're gunna trash a perfectly good deba anyway...KISS, keep it simple stup...
It’s not really a filet knife it’s a stubby chef knife really. I filet knife is like a small yanagabi. And it’s thicker so I don’t think it’s going to break off.
i've never seen someone break a tip off a knife from actual usage. it's always cause it gets banged up on something hard like the side of a table or on he floor..
You’re welcome. I’ve never broken a tip with any other knife but because this edge is so thin it’s broken off

First off it's yanagiba and it's a slicer, you don't use that as a filleting knife because ribs bones will destroy that thin edge. Secondly deba are fish filleting knives, this is a fact no matter what you believe they are designed for. Sorry to burst your bubble. Go to try using one as a "stubby chef knife" let us know how that worked out for you.

Back