Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does size matter ? - Handles

Does size matter ? - Handles

Hi

Apologize if this sound silly but its after a few good beers to loosen up the thought process, sometimes when the best ideas occur in this state !!

Im a big fan of smaller knives including small gyutos, i just got my petty from Mike and i love it. i am currently working with Mike to make a full size gyuto and im struggling to decide between 210-240-270. Well i was just playing with my knives !! and trying to figure out why i like the smaller knives, i have a 270 Konosuke HD which is a very good quality knife but it just seems clinical to me, well just for grins i wrapped a few layers of kitchen towel around the HD's handle and it felt 10 x better.

So my question relates to handles size, im thinking that if i pick a 270 gyuto with Mike that i should get the scale of handle increased by say 20-30 % over a smaller knife and this will balance everything out.

Am i crazy ?

Alan

Yes, you are crazy.

But that doesn't mean your Kono handle might be a bit undersized for your tastes. What are the dimensions of the handle?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I find a distinct difference in handle size from 210 to 240 and 270's even 300's have a slightly different handle size. Blade style also comes into play. A 270 Tako I used to have had the slimmest handle I ever felt but it worked with that knife. While my 300 wa gyuto has a monster of a handle and I love it. I have large hands and tend toward larger handles for the size of blade.. So I believe it's up to the user to try differend handles to see what they really like in a given blade style...

Wow that was hard to think straight about... half a bottle of wine, used the other half on a coq au vin, while cooking dinner really snuck up on me

I seem to prefer full sized handles. My Rodrigue blade is about 175mm in length with a full sized gyuto handle. As long as the balance point works for you, go with what you like.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I am not a huge guy, but prefer large handles. Any I get made would be to fit a 270mm knife, even if the knife is smaller. This is because of how I like it to feel

I am a big guy, but have smaller hands. I definitely prefer smaller wa handled knives like petty and nakiri. I have had a 270 wa and it just felt to unwieldy to me, so I sold it. If I were to buy another one, I would probably rehandle it. Currently, all of my larger knives have western handles.

One can make a medium size handle that will be comfortable for people who prefer large handles and people who prefer smaller handles.

Handles on Japanese knives are often not well matched to a knife (i.e. too small or too large) as they are generic handles, fit to a knife.

One can make a fixed size or be flexible on the size to put a balance where one wants it. I am somewhere in-between these two approaches. I have a size of a handle in mind for a knife I am making, but once I grind the knife and weigh it, I make adjustments on the handle's size (if needed) so a knife balances where I want it.

M

PS: I find Konosuke HD handles too small for the knife (the couple that I have rehandled).

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I am a big dude with bigger hands. I am not a fan (unlike most around here) of fat handles, at least where wa's are concerned. For a wa, I like it to be tapered and long. Length is often overlooked, but is more important to me than girth....this just sounds wrong! lol

For a western, I do like Adams style of belly, or Mario's Shig style hook, but thats aesthetic....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

For me it depends on what I'm using the knife for. I really only grip the knife tightly for slicing cuts or splitting large, hard objects where I need to apply some pressure. In these cases, a somewhat large-ish handle would prevent fatigue. For the rest, I'm pinching the blade with two fingers and lightly stabilizing with a little pressure on the handle. The handle size ought to be smaller in this case, for maneuverability and balance.

I have a Twin cermax 6 inch utility and i love it, the balance is great and the handle feels great.

Based on this i thought id try the 240 chef knife, logic would dictate if you like the 6 inch then the 9.5 inch should be good. Well it turns out it has the exact same handle as the 6 ich, now the handle seems small and the knife is not balanced.

What is going on, is it me ? or are all the bigger knives under handled ?

Alan