A lazer gyuto that can rock chop.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemeneid

Wasabi wabi sabi
Reaction score
I'm looking for a lazer gyuto that can rock chop. The knives I have now have too flat a belly to rock chop.

Looking at these knives right now but I'm not sure if they have a curved profile.

Ashi Ginga White#2
Kurosaki R2
Konosuke HD

Monosteel preferred, don't like cladded knives.

I'm looking for a lazer gyuto that can rock chop. The knives I have now have too flat a belly to rock chop.

Looking at these knives right now but I'm not sure if they have a curved profile.

Ashi Ginga White#2
Kurosaki R2
Konosuke HD

Monosteel preferred, don't like cladded knives.

What’s the difference of monosteel and cladded? Besides look... like Damascus is cladded right?

Monosteel is a single steel. Cladded usually refers to knives where the hard edge is sandwiched between steels to protect the non-cutting edge, usually on carbon knives. Damascus or other patterns are usually asthetic and can appear on monosteel knives too.

I do not understand the obsession with rock chopping. Do you not have a food processor? Or are you not cautious with your fingers and cut yourself often?

I'm looking for a lazer gyuto that can rock chop.

This raises the existential qustion of "why"? :rofl:

In all seriousness, better to actually describe the motion
and the product list/ingredients you need to deal with

lest people get the wrong ideas

Ginga. Plus, it'll save you some $$ compared to the other two. Konsuke HD is a classic laser--but has a low tip (not good for rocking). I can't speak to the Kurosaki.

One thing worth mentioning... "rocking" is one thing, "walking"--i.e. rocking the knife while moving laterally--is another. Walking is a no-go with lasers (and even non-lasers).
If you're walking, either (a) take some time to practice push-cutting or (b) look for a knife with a beefy edge.

HD(2) and Ginga "walk" just fine. People are more sensitive than their knives are, I think.

I do not understand the obsession with rock chopping. Do you not have a food processor? Or are you not cautious with your fingers and cut yourself often?

If you need to chiffonade herbs, rock chopping is faster than slicing imo. And yes, no food processor at home either.

Well, the dirty little secret is that any gyuto, laser or otherwise, can rock chop as long as it is sharpened correctly.

Ginga in White #2 is one of my favorite blades.

Please post pictures of your future chipped knife so we can all have a decent chuckle.

Also the gyuto should have a high tip if you are going to rock chop. Although if you wish to rock chop with a flat Gyuto that will also be entertaining. Don't forget the video.

Ginga in White # 2 is a fairly forgiving knife and especially for how thin behind the edge it is.

HD(2) and Ginga "walk" just fine. People are more sensitive than their knives are, I think.

I don’t think “avoid walking” falls into the babying knives camp… It’s not like I told the guy not to cut beets or bok choy in order to avoid dirt and sand…

YMMV. I’m sticking with don’t walk a laser, though.

you must have jedi training

:)

I don't watch it but I think it might have something to do with my phrasing. That little green goblin thing and how it talks funny.

Anyway I truly do think people over stress the fragility of J-knives. Or maybe I am a hell of a lot easier on my knives that I thought...lol.

I don’t think “avoid walking” falls into the babying knives camp… It’s not like I told the guy not to cut beets or bok choy in order to avoid dirt and sand…

YMMV. I’m sticking with don’t walk a laser, though.

Okay. I have no issues though.

I don't watch it but I think it might have something to do with my phrasing.

Problem with rocking is that scars
in your cutting board become/are the problem

more so than technique or the blade,
itself is inherently fragile.

Problem with rocking is that scars
in your cutting board become/are the problem

more so than technique or the blade,
itself is inherently fragile.

Yeah, fair point. I am normally a G&G guy anyway but I can, at times, fall back. Not had any issues with chipping or the like was my only point. I figure that would require a fair amount of pressure and lateral stress but I could be wrong. I am only a home cook and don't do a ton of volume outside of canning season and family gatherings.

As long as you aren't walking a single bevel knife you'll be fine. Proper technique blah blah blah.

Walking a single bevel? Sounds like we need a video. Anyone willing to make a sacrifice?

Is walking, or using the left hand on the tip to make a crushingly forceful lever, the bigger problem?

That said, while you can do 1mm rings of a thai chili push-slicing or chopping ... it will be a hell of a lot easier just to rock/walk :)

Back