Question about new misono dragon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pt9932

Reaction score
Hi! I recently got a new misono swedish steel 240 gyuto (lefty version) and now I notice something may be wrong with the blade geometry. Here's a coil shot where I draw two straight lines. You can see that the right face (the left on the photo) is more convex that the left one, shouldn't be the opposite being a lefty knife?

Also I don't know if this is what it's called steering, but i noticed that with some food it's hard to make thin slices because the knife steer off the food and goes into the cutting board. But that's 99% due to my bad cutting technique.

The convex bevel seems correct in the case of a lefty version. As for the experienced steering: clockwise or counter-clockwise?

The convex bevel seems correct in the case of a lefty version. As for the experienced steering: clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Ok but what about the convexity of the whole face, not just the bevel?

The steering is clockwise, so for me off the food

That looks like a right handed knife.

The grind:

The back side, in your case the right side of the blade if you were holding the knife while chopping, should be more flat. The front side would the be slightly more rounded to the edge.

Try cutting very thin paper slices of a thick carrot. Make sure you’re cutting straight and not over correcting for steer. If the blade keeps veering away from the carrot and you don’t finish your slices, it’s a right handed knife.

Now the bevel looks like they set it for a left handed knife.

In my opinion, I think they took a right handed and set a koba for a lefty.

Also curious to hear what side the logo is on.

That looks like a right handed knife.

The grind:

The back side, in your case the right side of the blade if you were holding the knife while chopping, should be more flat. The front side would the be slightly more rounded to the edge.

Try cutting very thin paper slices of a thick carrot. Make sure you’re cutting straight and not over correcting for steer. If the blade keeps veering away from the carrot and you don’t finish your slices, it’s a right handed knife.

Now the bevel looks like they set it for a left handed knife.

In my opinion, I think they took a right handed and set a koba for a lefty.

Also curious to hear what side the logo is on.
The logo is on the front side

Look along the tang of the the knife to the choil. One side of the blade will be parallel to the tang, the other will angle toward the edge.

Looking at your choil shot, the side that angles is the right side, so the left side when the edge is downwards. This means the right side is flat (or slightly convex), which is what you want. That means that side of the blade would go straight through the food, and the left side "peels" the slice way. Righty blade are angled the other way.

My 195 lefty Misono looks similar.

I suspect that what you feel as steering is that you are adjusting the blade slightly in your hand, correcting for a righty bias, on the blade and that is causing it to not cut straight.

Look along the tang of the the knife to the choil. One side of the blade will be parallel to the tang, the other will angle toward the edge.

Looking at your choil shot, the side that angles is the right side, so the left side when the edge is downwards. This means the right side is flat (or slightly convex), which is what you want. That means that side of the blade would go straight through the food, and the left side "peels" the slice way. Righty blade are angled the other way.

My 195 lefty Misono looks similar.

I suspect that what you feel as steering is that you are adjusting the blade slightly in your hand, correcting for a righty bias, on the blade and that is causing it to not cut straight.

Sorry I can't really see what your describing, could you please explain? What part of the tang? In the picture there's only a part of the bolster besides the choil. Should I try to get a picture or both the choil and the handle to see the angle you're talking about? I don't know if i can get both in focus tough.

I don't think I'm over correcting because that would cause steereing in the opposite direction

Does anyone have another choil shot of the misono swedish (both left or right version) to compare? I can only find them in low resolution.

Here's a slightly better picture of mine

Looks lefty to me but I can never really tell too much from a pic. I'd suggest holding a straight edge up to both sides and reporting back your findings. The edge is definitely lefty but the face grind tends to be a bit more subtle so harder to see in a pic.

What I'm trying for you to look at can be a pain to find, and I find it easier to see if I'm looking at the choil with the blade horizontal. The only pic I've got online of my Misono choil doesn't show it well.

If you look at your picture, the right side of the blade is basically vertical, and the left side is angled to meet that (like a right angle triangle). Now, imagine taking the blade and rotating it so the left side of picture is vertical and the right side angles to meet that (the same right angle triangle but mirrored). That is the different between the righty and the lefty grind. The flat side goes to your grip hand. Now, having done that, look at the knife from behind the tang. As you do that same little twist, you should see that in one case the tang is vertical and in the other the tang is at an angle. If the tang is vertical, that helps tell you which way the angle should be on the choil, which tells you which handedness the blade is. It's not easy to spot, but I can find it my Misono and my Tojiro's.

Have the blade -- the blade only -- on a flat surface. Lift the spine a little bit by turning the handle. Try it with the other side as well. The side where you feel some play is the dominant, convex side.

Have the blade -- the blade only -- on a flat surface. Lift the spine a little bit by turning the handle. Try it with the other side as well. The side where you feel some play is the dominant, convex side.

Doing this test i can definitely feel the right side more convex. Do you think that misono produces all lefty knives this way or could it be a unlucky faulty item?

@esoo: thank you, now i understand what you're telling me to look at and i tried, but with bare eyes i really cannot tell...

You can't really tell the whole story from a choil shot. With that said it looks to me like the edge itself is ground correctly for a weir I mean lefty.

You can also check this to confirm with water. Basically pool water on the blade (try to hold blade sea-level-style flat), and watch it respond. The water will move (run) off the convexity, pool a bit more evenly on the flatter side. If the face is actually true-convex, dead-flat, and/or assymetric (compare each side) you should be able to tell. (For a test, check if the water will pool as you rotate a bit, as your motion is counter-acting the curve in the blade, of if its dead flat, once you break the surface tension, it will all run off...)

The large part of the primary bevel asymmetry is on the right as it should be for a lefty, but the convexity does appear primarily on the on the left, which is wrong for a lefty. This would explain the unfavorable steering. Send it back or adjust to it.

I would indeed expect some counter-clockwise steering with a lefty blade, that can easily be corrected when sharpening.

The large part of the primary bevel asymmetry is on the right as it should be for a lefty, but the convexity does appear primarily on the on the left, which is wrong for a lefty. This would explain the unfavorable steering. Send it back or adjust to it.

+1
This is what I was saying and still believe it was a right handed knife but the the edge rebeveled for a lefty.

Can you take a pic of the logo? With all the mixing up going on above on which side is front, I think a picture will be faster.

I would indeed expect some counter-clockwise steering with a lefty blade, that can easily be corrected when sharpening.

Why? I may be wrong but couldn't it be that after that edge and the bevel (which are correctly set for a left hander) cuts through the food the higher part of the blade gets in contact with the food and the convexity makes the knife turn left?

I also tried to see the gap between the blade and a flat surface:

this is with the left face lying down

and this with the right face lying down

Even if the bevel is correctly left biased there's still more gap in the right face, which should be flatter.

Who was the retailer?
JCK, I'm already in touch with mr Iwahara to see if we can find a solution

+1
This is what I was saying and still believe it was a right handed knife but the the edge rebeveled for a lefty.

Can you take a pic of the logo? With all the mixing up going on above on which side is front, I think a picture will be faster.

Sure, here it is

I expect it to slightly steer counter-clockwise because the edge is off-centered to the right, and encounters less friction on the right side. I'm quite sure Mr Iwahara will find a solution, you're in good hands.

Why? I may be wrong but couldn't it be that after that edge and the bevel (which are correctly set for a left hander) cuts through the food the higher part of the blade gets in contact with the food and the convexity makes the knife turn left?

I also tried to see the gap between the blade and a flat surface:

this is with the left face lying down

and this with the right face lying down

Even if the bevel is correctly left biased there's still more gap in the right face, which should be flatter.

JCK, I'm already in touch with mr Iwahara to see if we can find a solution

Sure, here it is

Where's the dragon? I have a 300mm gyuto with the dragon I need to get some pics of to put it on bst sometime so will try to take note and reply (I also have a 180mm and 360mm Misono gyuto)

Where's the dragon? I have a 300mm gyuto with the dragon I need to get some pics of to put it on bst sometime so will try to take note and reply (I also have a 180mm and 360mm Misono gyuto)

The lefty knives don't have the dragon or flower on them or at least that is what it say on JCK website. My 195 didn't come with an engraving.

You have to special order dragon engraving on lefty, and some vendors offer discounts for no dragon engraving IIRC

The lefty knives don't have the dragon or flower on them or at least that is what it say on JCK website. My 195 didn't come with an engraving.

That's what you get!

They do if you ask and are patient enough to wait
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1524023777.564012.jpg

All mine have engravings where they are possible, except the 180 gyuto because I didn't want a flower. You can see them in the second picture on my Instagram post https://instagram.com/p/BUvAdM6ggE9/

You should be happy. You'd have gotten the flower... :p

They could probably ask a premium for 210's with dragons instead of flowers... :D

They do if you ask and are patient enough to wait
View attachment 39182

All mine have engravings where they are possible, except the 180 gyuto because I didn't want a flower. You can see them in the second picture on my Instagram post https://instagram.com/p/BUvAdM6ggE9/

I didn't know that was possible, I would've happily waited for the engraving.

Anyway since you own a vast collection of lefty misono, did you notice the problem I described in any of yours or do you think i got a bad one. I'm curious if misono produces all their lefty knives this way.

Back