Quantcast
New Kid on the Block
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kid on the Block

New Kid on the Block

http://blue-knives.com/products2.html

Do I see Bob Kramer influence here? Or should it be called a budged Kramer-like?

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

He's the Seattle version of Joel from Cut Brooklyn. I've been to his website before, I don't think he is that new, just not on the boards. Profile and look of his knives is very Kramer-esque. I'm sure that's not an accident.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Interesting that he photoshops the same gorgeous ash or ironwood handle onto all the knives. I'm guessing the handle you get won't remotely resemble these.

His first link is to Kramer site. I find it mildly amusing.
    Work looks clean. Would be my pick over CB.

His damascus looks very much like Bob's plus it's the same patter on all knives, so it's photoshoped. Wow, I didn't know that can be done.

M

Dig a little deeper. He has a degree in design from Rhode Island School of Design, and I think he apprenticed with Kramer. He has been at this for a while. I do like the pics of his knives, having never seen them up close, but am not too crazy about the photoshopped handles. I can see where a degree in design would influence his graphics and web site though. I'd love to have the nakiri in straight carbon.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I think Marko might be right in that the damascus on those blades is also photoshopped. Looks like you have the exact same patterns in each series. Makes me a bit cautious when handles and blades appear to be photoshopped. I'm sure the profiles are all legit, but it doesn't appear that all of those are real knives. That's worrisome.

I will say that I like the profiles just fine from what I can see, which admittedly isn't a ton, and if he can produce handles like that and damascus like that with a reasonable level of F&F, they'd be lovely knives. It's also neat that he links you right to his source for handle materials and invites you to pick yours out from there.

Yet another knifemaker who doesn't understand a lick of metallurgy, but doesn't mind pretending that he does:

Stainless steels are steel alloys that contain a large amount (+12%) of chromium. Chromium prevents the steel from rusting but significantly degrades edge holding capabilities of the steel. All steels are composed of grains of the various alloying elements, the relatively large size of chromium results in a blade that will quickly dull and be very difficult to re-sharpen.

52100 steel forms a blade composed of very small grains, enabling it to take a much finer edge, hold it longer, and then re-sharpen very quickly. In addition, the fine grain structure of 52100 makes it tougher than many other steels used in knives. The weakest points of any steel structure are the bonds between the grains, a finer grain structure means that stress it spread across many more of these bonds than in steels containing larger alloying elements such as chromium.

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    I think Marko might be right in that the damascus on those blades is also photoshopped. Looks like you have the exact same patterns in each series. Makes me a bit cautious when handles and blades appear to be photoshopped. I'm sure the profiles are all legit, but it doesn't appear that all of those are real knives. That's worrisome.
    I am not busting anybody chops here, on the contrary, probably unintentionally helping to pick a customer or two. I stumbled on a site and found it mildly amusing. Could not help but think Kramer knives the moment I saw it.

As having a degree in design is concerned, well, knives are pretty simple to design (even I can ) and I would take an advice from a pro chef over a designer's advice any time. Think Chroma knives.

M

PS: I didn't interpret it that way, Ben -

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Marko was getting on anyone. The "worrisome" comment is entirely my own sentiment and no one else's. If you have a site to showcase your work and choose to show photoshopped images I have to ask why? But that's just me and your mileage may vary. Never seen one of these in person. They could be great! But all I have to go on right now is a website with, what looks like, "fake" knives. Doesn't exactly inspire me to take a chance, you know?