Quantcast
New Kid on the Block - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kid on the Block

I find it funny that he has an entire santoku "line". Hahahaha a whole line dedicated to a much hated shape among those in the know. Add to that the fact his knives are very Krameresque and we know who his target market is. Stupid average Joe/Jane. "Oooooh santoku that means it's Japanese!!!" lol
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Ya, a santoku slicer!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I saw his stuff on etsy a while back (a year or so?) and found them to look really nice, but the price seemed off for a guy I knew nothing about. I'd love to give or a try sometime, actually.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Ya, a santoku slicer!
    It caught my eye too.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It caught my eye too.

M
    It's a gimmick, and he's selling to people who fall for gimmicks.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Yet another knifemaker who doesn't understand a lick of metallurgy, but doesn't mind pretending that he does:
    The biggest problem I've had with being a metallurgist is that everyone else thinks they are one too. I'm not sure any other engineering discipline suffers this but I'm dumbfounded as to why.

-AJ

Lol, but you can see a logic here. How many people know what Meiji is or have heard a word? I am sure Santoku sounds more familiar.

What I am wondering about if whether pics on the site are pics of actual knives or are computer generated. For one, they all have same handle material and damascus pattern. Secondly, they look awfully similar to Bob knives' profiles, particularly, the Santoku Line. Did I say that? Damn, Meiji line!

So, Photoshop wizards here, is it possible to lift knife shapes from Bob Kramer site, tweak them a bit (to account for a different handle), and then fill them with a wood patter and damascus steel pattern?

M

I think we should take it easy on the guy. His knives look good, albeit photoshopped on his site, and we haven't tried one of them to say whether or not he is legit. Sure his "santoku" line is kind of cheesy in regards to the naming, but he's just using a name that most people might find intriguing. It's marketing! Sure, he missing the mark with us knuts, but I for one would love to try one, and until I have reason to do otherwise, will give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Marko, i think your intentions were good, but we seem to like to jump on people sometimes. What happened to this place?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    So, Photoshop wizards here, is it possible to lift knife shapes from Bob Kramer site, tweak them a bit (to account for a different handle), and then fill them with a wood patter and damascus steel pattern?

M
    absolutely.

Okay, this was meant to make light of it, so sorry it is interpreted differently.
    I salute everybody who makes things with their hands and I noted before that the workmanship wasn't bad. Just thought it was funny how close the resemblance was, but it is up to Bob to mind it or not.

M