Quantcast
New Kid on the Block - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Kid on the Block

Haha, don't worry, heirkb knows real hip hop.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Haha, yea, don't worry that I'm thinking they're actually hip hop. I just know that among the many things they were marketed as/imitating (pop, rock, etc.), they were drawing on supposed "hip hop" styles and flavors. Ever seen any of the old school hip hop movies/documentaries/music videos? Those kids are drawing somewhat from those styles--as well as from other styles.

Anyways, I am writing something about hip hop and racial discourse. The general thrust is that it's historically inaccurate and an exclusionary/effacing political move to argue that hip hop is a "black youth culture" that has been stolen by non-black performers, enthusiasts, etc. This is a perspective that I saw in many rappers' and scholars' works (and not in many others', I know). It's hard to capture the whole scope of the argument in one sentence, but I think I've already derailed the thread enough.

The joke in my earlier post was that not even I could get myself to say that those kids aren't just straight up cultural thieves.

My apologies for the off-topic posts. I have too much of a tendency towards doing that on forums for some reason, even though I know it's bad manners.

+ Reply to Thread