New Kid on the Block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's the Seattle version of Joel from Cut Brooklyn. I've been to his website before, I don't think he is that new, just not on the boards. Profile and look of his knives is very Kramer-esque. I'm sure that's not an accident.

Interesting that he photoshops the same gorgeous ash or ironwood handle onto all the knives. I'm guessing the handle you get won't remotely resemble these.

His first link is to Kramer site. I find it mildly amusing. :)
Work looks clean. Would be my pick over CB.

His damascus looks very much like Bob's plus it's the same patter on all knives, so it's photoshoped. Wow, I didn't know that can be done.

M

Dig a little deeper. He has a degree in design from Rhode Island School of Design, and I think he apprenticed with Kramer. He has been at this for a while. I do like the pics of his knives, having never seen them up close, but am not too crazy about the photoshopped handles. I can see where a degree in design would influence his graphics and web site though. I'd love to have the nakiri in straight carbon.

I think Marko might be right in that the damascus on those blades is also photoshopped. Looks like you have the exact same patterns in each series. Makes me a bit cautious when handles and blades appear to be photoshopped. I'm sure the profiles are all legit, but it doesn't appear that all of those are real knives. That's worrisome.

I will say that I like the profiles just fine from what I can see, which admittedly isn't a ton, and if he can produce handles like that and damascus like that with a reasonable level of F&F, they'd be lovely knives. It's also neat that he links you right to his source for handle materials and invites you to pick yours out from there.

Yet another knifemaker who doesn't understand a lick of metallurgy, but doesn't mind pretending that he does:

Stainless steels are steel alloys that contain a large amount (+12%) of chromium. Chromium prevents the steel from rusting but significantly degrades edge holding capabilities of the steel. All steels are composed of grains of the various alloying elements, the relatively large size of chromium results in a blade that will quickly dull and be very difficult to re-sharpen.

52100 steel forms a blade composed of very small grains, enabling it to take a much finer edge, hold it longer, and then re-sharpen very quickly. In addition, the fine grain structure of 52100 makes it tougher than many other steels used in knives. The weakest points of any steel structure are the bonds between the grains, a finer grain structure means that stress it spread across many more of these bonds than in steels containing larger alloying elements such as chromium.

I think Marko might be right in that the damascus on those blades is also photoshopped. Looks like you have the exact same patterns in each series. Makes me a bit cautious when handles and blades appear to be photoshopped. I'm sure the profiles are all legit, but it doesn't appear that all of those are real knives. That's worrisome.

I am not busting anybody chops here, on the contrary, probably unintentionally helping to pick a customer or two. :) I stumbled on a site and found it mildly amusing. Could not help but think Kramer knives the moment I saw it.

As having a degree in design is concerned, well, knives are pretty simple to design (even I can :) ) and I would take an advice from a pro chef over a designer's advice any time. Think Chroma knives.

M

PS: I didn't interpret it that way, Ben -

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Marko was getting on anyone. The "worrisome" comment is entirely my own sentiment and no one else's. If you have a site to showcase your work and choose to show photoshopped images I have to ask why? But that's just me and your mileage may vary. Never seen one of these in person. They could be great! But all I have to go on right now is a website with, what looks like, "fake" knives. Doesn't exactly inspire me to take a chance, you know?

I find it funny that he has an entire santoku "line". Hahahaha a whole line dedicated to a much hated shape among those in the know. Add to that the fact his knives are very Krameresque and we know who his target market is. Stupid average Joe/Jane. "Oooooh santoku that means it's Japanese!!!" lol

I saw his stuff on etsy a while back (a year or so?) and found them to look really nice, but the price seemed off for a guy I knew nothing about. I'd love to give or a try sometime, actually.

Yet another knifemaker who doesn't understand a lick of metallurgy, but doesn't mind pretending that he does:

The biggest problem I've had with being a metallurgist is that everyone else thinks they are one too. I'm not sure any other engineering discipline suffers this but I'm dumbfounded as to why.

-AJ

Lol, but you can see a logic here. How many people know what Meiji is or have heard a word? I am sure Santoku sounds more familiar.

What I am wondering about if whether pics on the site are pics of actual knives or are computer generated. For one, they all have same handle material and damascus pattern. Secondly, they look awfully similar to Bob knives' profiles, particularly, the Santoku Line. Did I say that? Damn, Meiji line!

So, Photoshop wizards here, is it possible to lift knife shapes from Bob Kramer site, tweak them a bit (to account for a different handle), and then fill them with a wood patter and damascus steel pattern?

M

I think we should take it easy on the guy. His knives look good, albeit photoshopped on his site, and we haven't tried one of them to say whether or not he is legit. Sure his "santoku" line is kind of cheesy in regards to the naming, but he's just using a name that most people might find intriguing. It's marketing! Sure, he missing the mark with us knuts, but I for one would love to try one, and until I have reason to do otherwise, will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Marko, i think your intentions were good, but we seem to like to jump on people sometimes. What happened to this place?

So, Photoshop wizards here, is it possible to lift knife shapes from Bob Kramer site, tweak them a bit (to account for a different handle), and then fill them with a wood patter and damascus steel pattern?

M

absolutely.

Okay, this was meant to make light of it, so sorry it is interpreted differently.
I salute everybody who makes things with their hands and I noted before that the workmanship wasn't bad. Just thought it was funny how close the resemblance was, but it is up to Bob to mind it or not.

M

blueknives.png

Pretty obvious.

I don't think his prices are out of line,I do find the pics to be very odd.

Respectfully, based on what exactly?

Based on me buying and selling a lot of knives.Also I know what all of the "new" kitchen knife makers are charging and he is right in line.I have no idea if they are worth the price but it 425 for a 10" blade does not seem that much.

Im not normally one to pile on, he may very well make killer knives? His site is very clean and well done. It would serve him well to put some actual pictures of knives he made on there for our viewing pleasure. Also did anyone catch that he is not making his damascus or forging his blades like Bob does. :)

Based on me buying and selling a lot of knives.Also I know what all of the "new" kitchen knife makers are charging and he is right in line.I have no idea if they are worth the price but it 425 for a 10" blade does not seem that much.

So, based on internet pics and a new (relatively) maker then?

Yes, the market will bare, but worth...? Another matter completely.

Perhaps he is or has been an apprentice to Kramer... otherwise and imho, his bonafides don't command anything near those prices. Particularly with PS images (FLAG!).

Design degree, har har... wonder how Bob Loveless, Heron, Dozier, (et all) could even think of stepping up to a grinder without that on their resume? :lol2:

Latest posts

Back