Quantcast
The Ban of Darkhoek **Update post 163*** - Page 18
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The Ban of Darkhoek **Update post 163***

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input here. No matter what your stance on the issues are, they often give me a perspective different from my own and help me see it from all sides. However, whenever we have threads that include heated discussions such as this one, at some point the thread becomes cyclical and no new discussions are taking place. Instead, old issues are rehashed and the bickering worsens. We are all here because we love high end kitchen cutlery, there is no reason for fights to drag on so long that we make internet enemies because of it. I also don't want anyone to feel like they didn't get to say their piece, or open up a new thread and start this all over again, so I will be locking this thread after Sunday night (12/4/11). Feel free to add anything you think needs to be said until then, but it has to come to an end at some point. If you have any issues with this or anything else, please PM me. Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    That'll be a relief. Good call.
    + many to that.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Yes in protest of the super mod tag...
    LOL...
    Colin,
    I know you are being dead serious here but.....OH just love the way you pull a hearty laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    We all enjoy seeing new knives and custom work. When one of our own starts making handles, sayas, we are excited for the member and supportive of his efforts. The problem in this case was the personal like for a respected member getting mixed up with the business side of the forum.

I fear we may lose the spontaneity of when a member refurbishes, re-handles, or customizes a knife, and would like to share it with the forum, but is hesitant, because will that get them classified as a hobbyist. The issue is how to distinguish between the person who occasionally works on knives versus a hobbyist who makes and sells his work on a regular basis.

In my mind, and I hope he doesn't mind me, using him as an example, but RRLover aka Mario is a knife fan, who has bought and sold a lot of knives, reground the blades on some of his knives, re-handled a few knifes, and even made some knives. What separates him from a hobbyist is that his work isn't showing up on a consistent basis for sale.

A classic example of a hobbyist was Fish. He was just plain talented with knives. He would post a batch of knives that he had re-handled. A few weeks later, those knives would be put up for sale. One of the signs of a hobbyist might be how often are they putting their work up for sale. Having a blog or site, where work is being advertised for sale, definitely puts a person at the hobbyist level.

I don't want to see the forum, become nothing more then a bunch of policies and rules. Besides their isn't a way to write rules for every possible situation. As long as their is a clear understanding that any unusual sale or activity needs to go through Dave or his moderators first, would take care of potential problems.

Jay
    As the only current standing Hobbyist Vendor I am in this very position right now. I truely want to post pics of my past work w/o compromising the terms I agreed to when I purchased my subscription. I am holding certain this in abayance but as I acquire more info from the mods I will post as much as allowed. It is the "spontaneity" mentioned above that I am struggling with most.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Yes in protest of the super mod tag...
    Hey, if we have Global mods, where are the Shun mods or the Henkels mods?
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Hey, if we have Global mods, where are the Shun mods or the Henkels mods?
    LMAO Ryan should be the dexter mod.

I definitely see both sides here. As a hobbyist I rarely sale anything I make, mostly because I don't make anything good enough to sale. On a few rare occasions someone has asked to buy something I have made, this is encouraging as that means I'm getting better. I use forums ( not this one so much B/C I don't make knives) to show my work to those with more experience and to learn and get tips to improve my work. I sold a few things I made not to long ago on this board ( my spoon holding thingeys), one of the mods pulled it and sent me a warning. I was like ***???, and PM'ed Dave. In a short time it was resolved and my post went back up. Point here is I think mods in general here are a little trigger happy. If I was a new member or a not very active one I could understand, but it bothered me thinking that Dave and or some mod would think i would try and "rip off the forum". Hell I was debating at the time to buy the vendor permit just to sell the 3 spoon things I had, that way my vendor section would sit there for god knows how long unused, people would be like WTH does Colin sell??? Why is he a vendor???.. I thought it would be funny, you guys know my sense of humor. Point is that the _____ amount of money was not a issue to me, I know the money goes to pay for a sight that I spend a lot of my time, good cause in my book. I was not trying to make a buck, not even recover materials or time spent.
    Darkhoek on the other hand has hit a different level. His skills have hit a point were people seek him out on a consistent bases for his work. It may still be a hobby to him but the people who are buying things from him don't look at it that way, they look at is as buying something from a skilled craftsmen. I hope the day comes that I'm in his shoes.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I have to say that the fees on here for hobbyist or vendor memberships are VERY expensive. A comparison to a monster forum like Blade Forums may not be relevant. They have 180,000 registered members and even after all of the mass exodus stuff over the years, they still claim to have over 15,000 active members. Another smaller forum would be a better comparison but I shall not name it. IIRC, it was started for reasons similar to why this one was. People grew tired of the BS on the old "mother" forum (BF in this case) so someone set up a new forum. They now claim to have over 8,000 members of whom over 7,000 are allegedly active. That forum currently has 74 individual "vendor" forums of all types. These forums can be had for as little as $100 a year if you have 3 or fewer employees or as much as $300 if you are a "big player and have 11 or more.. More importantly, if you are a "hobbyist" or even a individual "pro" or any kind and don't need your own forum, you can get a membership that allows you to pimp your product with no limits for $30 a year. Unpaid members, regardless of their status as makers, dealers or just users, can sell up to 12 pieces a year on their free membership. That means that they can also show the work that they are doing and if someone wants to ask them about buying it, they can without worrying about running afoul of the rules. If they get to the point where they are selling stuff regularly, they can pony up $25-30 a year for the appropriate individual membership.
    I understand that this forum has to be paid for and perhaps the original intent was to limit the number of "vendors" to a select few. The current prices guarantee that. $300 for a vendor membership for a sole proprietor like me or even (or especially) $175 for the hobbyist or random dabbler is a LOT of money for any forum, much less one that only has 1100 members, no matter how rabid those members might be when it comes to buying kitchen knives. Like I said, I am not trying to cause trouble, but merely to lend some perspective.

Looooooooock Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

This thread was supposed to be locked on 12/24. There had been plenty of time given for everyone to say what they needed to say on the subject. The thread is now locked.