Help with choosing a laser - and questions about Shibata Kotetsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunter1001

Reaction score
Disclaimer: In no way do I *need* a new knife. I just want one, and suddenly have a some discretionary income thanks to the IRS. Lol

So, I'd like to pick up a laser gyuto to try out. I'm thinking that 240 mm is the right length. I don't really care about aesthetics, just looking for the best-performing laser. Between Suisin IH and and Gesshin Ginga stainless, it seems like the general consensus is that Ginga is the better value and pretty much equal to Suisin IH in every meaningful way.

So, I was about to pull the trigger, until I read a little bit about Shibata Kotetsu knives. The Kotetsu AS looks to hit all of the laser traits, but I don't see it in the same conversation as Ginga, Suisin, Kono HD, etc. Also, the k-tip R2 gyuto seems fun and super laser-y.

Question: Of these knives (Gesshin Ginga, Suisin IH, Kotetsu AS, Kotetsu R2), which would you recommend? I'm a home cook building a collection of knives that I use on a daily basis.

I have Kotetsu r2 bunka and Gesshin Ginga. Both are lasers but Shibata is thinner overall and more "laserish".

I have Kotetsu r2 bunka and Gesshin Ginga. Both are lasers but Shibata is thinner overall and more "laserish".
Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, which one do you prefer using or use more often?

The Shibata Kotetsu R2 has a flatter profile than the Kotetsu AS. The AS is supposedly easier to sharpen though (no surprises there).

The Shibata Kotetsu R2 has a flatter profile than the Kotetsu AS. The AS is supposedly easier to sharpen though (no surprises there).
Thanks! Do you own either of them? Can you compare to the Ginga or any other laser?

I have a Shibata Kashima and I like it. Thin but still convexed for decent food release. Wish it was made out of AS instead of R2 though.

I have the R2 Bunka and a Ginga 240 in White #2. Very different steels. I suppose it would be important which things you perfer. More edge retention, maximum sharpness, ease of sharpening ect.

I have the R2 Bunka and a Ginga 240 in White #2. Very different steels. I suppose it would be important which things you perfer. More edge retention, maximum sharpness, ease of sharpening ect.
Great! I’m interested in maximum sharpness and edge retention primarily. Also, interested in getting some purely subjective feedback about which one you would grab first and why - if that makes sense. I was looking at the Ginga in stainless, which I assume sharpens and holds an edge differently than the W2.

Great! I’m interested in maximum sharpness and edge retention primarily. Also, interested in getting some purely subjective feedback about which one you would grab first and why - if that makes sense. I was looking at the Ginga in stainless, which I assume sharpens and holds an edge differently than the W2.

I have both a Ginga in White # 2 and in Stainless. I would say that the stainless does hold an edge a bit better and while it does not sharpen like carbon it is by no means hard to sharpen. Either will take about any edge you want to give them. Both seem to lose that off the stones 'bite' quickly but the white more so than the stainless. Not a huge difference though. In a home kitchen we are talking a few days of prep difference.

Honestly though, I really like the stainless Ginga as an all rounder. Feels good on the stones, takes a good edge, holds it okay and is stain resistant. My wife stole mine long, long ago.

As for R2, I have only used Tojiro, Takamura and Miyabi but I find that I like them all well enough and don't find their renditions of the steel to be hugely different. I find it holds onto bite a lot, lot longer than my Ginga stainless. But once it goes dull it is dull. Seems to hold at about 90% forever then one day poof. Okay, that is dramatic but with something like the Ginga I can feel it slowly fading day by day and the R2 seems to give up on me all at once, if you know what I mean.

Now, I suppose all of that could have to do entirely with my habits, how I cut, my board, how I sharpen etc and I am only a home cook so take it at face value.

I've had a Ginga, Sakai Yusuke, and some other smaller names I can't recall right now, but the best of all is my Tanaka R2, especially after polishing the sides so it slides like nothing through food. OTOH I did decide I'm not a laser person, so it is for sale if anyone is interested.

Have a 240 r2 kotetsu and a 240 Western hd2, I find myself reaching more for the hd2 for everyday stuff and the kotetsu for slicing proteins.

Can't beat the Kono KS on CKTG. It's a true laser for $220.

The Ginga in white #2 will be the only knife you will ever need.

Back