Help me find a new 10" Gyotu <$800cad!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesy

Reaction score
I am looking for a new ‘exotic’ 10” Japanese style chefs knife or gyotu, and would like some suggestion from the community.

I am considering these, but am wide open to suggestions:
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...scus-wa-series-wa-gyuto-240mm-9-4-inch-fcl-10
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...10mm-and-240mm-red-white-linen-micarta-handle

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in CHEFS KNIFE / GYOTU

Are you right or left handed? RIGHT HANDED

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? JAPANESE

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 9.4” – 11”

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) NO

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $800 CAD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? HOME

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for SLICING VEG, PREPPING MEATS

What knife, if any, are you replacing? SHUN 8” PREMIER CHEFs

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? BOLSTER PINCH GRIP

What cutting motions do you primarily use? LIFT AND PUSHING SLICE, ROCKING, SINGLE PULLING SLICE

What improvements do you want from your current knife? LONGER, SHARPER, MORE EXOTIC FINISH

Edge Retention LONGER THE BETTER, WILL HONE DAILY

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? I USE BOTH WOOD AND RUBBER

Do you sharpen your own knives? YES

http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/696

Last one act fast. If not a tanaka 240/270mm from James at knives and stones. If your ok with a wait you could get a custom from several makers, you probably can't get Damascus but you'd get a killer handle. If you can do a bit more $$$ there's a 270mm takamura on bst that would be stellar.

There is a takamura 270 hsps damascus for $800 (USD) in the classifieds,
If you really want something like that, its pretty much a good one to be looking at.
The 240 should be in budget thru regular channels.

Get a nice custom knife from dave martell, he is vendor here.

What do you mean when you say you sharpen your own knives? Do you use sharpening stones, or what exactly?
I'm also wondering how practical / sensible it is to hone daily on knives in the 63 HRC range. Other with more experience can probably make a better call on this, but from what I recall they're more an emergency measure to limp along a little bit longer than to really extend the edge life. These edges don't roll, they chip.

It's not that I don't want you to wast money. I just feel that you are doing it wrong.

It's not just the knife that should be exotic. You need some bling for the saya.

Laced in gold. Trimmed in silver. Dusted with copper. Dotted with pearls. I need you to think big.

I use water stones about once a month, and I hone often (maybe not daily) before I start working - just a couple of passes on the steel.

Ok, I understand that - so what should I be looking for a in a great chef knife? Sharpness is my number one priority

Going to put this out there, you don't need to/shouldn't spend $800 on a knife, if all you want is stunning performance the tanaka James sell will blow your mind away and aren't so expensive they are irreplaceable. After about $400-$500 your mostly paying for fancy woods/Damascus and Provonence from an exotic/well respected maker. Theres nothing wrong with that but it really isn't going to provide any solid benifit to your cooking at home.

Other makers to check would be

Yu kurosaki
Terayusa Fujiwara
Kochi
Used Dave martells are silly good value
Takamura
Masahi
Shiro Kamo
Wakui

Most of those makers are very affordable and if you wanted to bling it out you could get a custom saya/handle with your remaining budget and still probably have enough left over for a bottle of Highland park 18

Home cutting but will hone daily.
why the longer the better if will hone daily?
Hmmm, none the less making me say something white steel for the joys of sharpening.
Exotic ... ok
Japanese handle only ... ok
240-270 - ok
800cad is roughly 600usd.

Im guessing your looking for that something special and sexy.
I would say hunt down a PM steel knife, your right in the price range for the best Pm knives out there. Though daily honeing wont be necessary.
Let us know what you end up deciding.

Currently at the top of the list is the Kramer by Zwilling 10" Chef, and the Miyabi 9.5 Floral Damascus Chef

It's not apparent at this point that you have a clear idea of what you want, or even what your options are. Where do you live in Canada? There may be a vendor near you. I know Knifewear has stores scattered across the country. Check out their site and maybe see if you can stop by a showroom and hold some knives.

Currently at the top of the list is the Kramer by Zwilling 10" Chef, and the Miyabi 9.5 Floral Damascus Chef

Literally "I have a unnecessarily high budget and just want whatever I think looks pretty to me" the thread. Are you not even paying attention to the fine recommendations/advice the members are giving you here? What's the point of making a thread?

Chef Doom: :happy2:

Literally "I have a unnecessarily high budget and just want whatever I think looks pretty to me" the thread. Are you not even paying attention to the fine recommendations/advice the members are giving you here? What's the point of making a thread?

Chef Doom: :happy2:

I'm OK with acknowledging my ignorance on the subject; thats why I wrote the thread - to get some help from knowledgeable people. Your comment wasn't particularly useful, but many people have given some great advice for me to check out. Would you have a brand or knife that you would recommend?

I live in Vancouver, the only knife store that I know if is House of Knives. Thats where I put my shuns.

Miyabi, kramer by zwilling, shun,etc are good knife, but they are "commercial" version of Japanese knives and focus a lot on the look.

Ok, thanks - so know that I understand that - what brands should I be looking at? I don't want to order a custom knife. Ideally, I can go to a website, and buy a nice, razer sharp 10" chef knife with quality Japanese steel and style.

Ok, thanks - so know that I understand that - what brands should I be looking at? I don't want to order a custom knife. Ideally, I can go to a website, and buy a nice, razer sharp 10" chef knife with quality Japanese steel and style.

There is a knifewear in Vancouver. If not there

Yu kurosaki
Terayusa Fujiwara
Kochi
Used Dave martells are silly good value
Takamura
Masahi
Shiro Kamo
Wakui
Tanaka

Metal master, knives and stones, terayusa fujiwaras site, aframes Tokyo, bernal cutlery and Japanese knife imports all sell good knives. The ones I listed above are all stellar, if you get it down to 2-3 people could provide feedback on the blades and identify some weaknesses they possess and strengths.

Drawn to them why? In the same shortlist you put both a carbon knife and a stainless PM knife. You also include knives of different lengths. I understand you like the looks and that's important to you, but selecting a knife just based on looks is a bit like selecting a car just based on color. A Fiat Panda, Toyota Hilux and a Ferrari can all be the same red but that doesn't mean they're the same kind of car...

It also leads me to question whether you understood the question of whether you want a carbon (non-stainless) knife or a stainless knife. Do you? Are you aware what the choice for either one implies?
Do you prefer a thinner knife (more laser grind) or a thicker one with more heft and (at least hopefully) better food-release?
Do you prefer a flatter profile or more belly?
Do you prefer more edge retention or more ease of sharpening? Edge retention or maximum sharpness?
At this point I'm mostly asking rhetorical questions, but the idea is that all knives - even great ones - have to make concessions somewhere. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It's not that you cannot buy great knives in your budget. That's not the problem. The issue is getting the knife that's right for you. The less you know about what you prefer in a knife, the harder it becomes to make sensible suggestions.

Thanks for that, those are all good questions. Based on the research I have been doing, I am looking for a 240-270mm gyuto/chef knife. I believe sharpness and edge retention to be at the top of my list. I prefer a thin knife, something light and quick. I prefer a flatter profile, but I will be rocking with it as well. Most often, I use a lift-and-push slicing motion. I do not have a preference in Carbon vs. Stainless. i wash and dry my knives immediately.

I have decided based on forum input, that I will put less attention on the look of the knife (doesn't need a fancy handle) and more on the blade and steel.
I am now strongly considering this knife:
https://knifewear.com/products/masakage-koishi-as-gyuto-270mm

Good, pick up that and a takeda, play with both, as mentioned with the koishi, it's a baller knife, I have the honesuki, I would email cody paul or an equivalent and have a saya made for it if you buy it. I would also strongly recommend playing with three of whatever blade you select in house, as they do vary a little bit.

Back