Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Flipper alert

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    Those like me have to pay the inflated prices or we will never be able to experience some of these rare knives. When something is rare and in demand you pay a premium for it. It's that way for any material item and knives are no exception. That's just how the world works.
    Again, this is how the outside world works...up until about 2 years ago it wasn't how this forum worked...

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Again, this is how the outside world works...up until about 2 years ago it wasn't how this forum worked...
    Really just blows my mind how so many people can argue against a position that they choose not to understand in the first place.

why do you even want to experience these rare knives, simply because they are rare right?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Really just blows my mind how so many people can argue against a position that they choose not to understand in the first place.
    I understand the position just fine Mr. Arrogance. I'm not arguing for or against anything just stating how it is. You can take your holier than thou attitude all you want but it doesn't change how it is.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    why do you even want to experience these rare knives, simply because they are rare right?
    As an aside, when I read this thread I always think it's referring to Katos and Shigs...

For me personally, the rarity aspect had absolutely nothing to do with it. I wanted to experience for myself what others have described in a multitude of reviews - the outstanding construction, finish and performance of Katos and Shigs. I get it, you don't care about owning any of these "rare" knives, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and at the same time own a blade made by renowned smiths that likely won't be around much longer. That last part most certainly sounds like "collector" talk, and partially for the Shig, is the reason I'm keeping mine. But the Katos, wow, I'm impressed and won't be giving them up antyime soon if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    I understand the position just fine Mr. Arrogance. I'm not arguing for or against anything just stating how it is. You can take your holier than thou attitude all you want but it doesn't change how it is.
    Take a deep breathe then exhale. Then ask yourself if that was necessary. Thanks for a lesson in how the world works.

i'm willing to bet that the kippington workhorse that is on a passaround right now is better than any kato at a third of the cost. but it too is rare af cause he is currently not making any more knives lol

i'm willing to bet that the kippington workhorse that is on a passaround right now is better than any kato at a third of the cost. but it too is rare af cause he is currently not making any more knives lol
    for the price of a kato, you can get a full custom from haburn or catchside , both will outperform, be stupidly good looking and have better materials... I had a kato, I sold it because the hype wasn't even close to what people say they are, honestly my takamura petty out performed it at every task besides coring leeks and cost 120 bucks vs the 550 the kato most recently sold for
    La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier
    Without butter, without eggs, there is no reason to come to France. -Paul Bocuse

My last post on the subject because we could go on and on about this forever (which has pretty much been done already)...

Nobody's arguing there are knives that perform the same or better for a MUCH lower price. It's clear from your many posts that you don't care about the intangibles that (IMO) come with these highly sought-after knives. Flippers are successful because they know many of us DO care about these things and, unfortunately, are willing to pay the price to see what it's all about. And yes, for some, it's because they're rare. They're not for everyone, clearly.

Have a good night.

BTW, looking forward to seeing your Marko.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    for the price of a kato, you can get a full custom from haburn or catchside , both will outperform, be stupidly good looking and have better materials... I had a kato, I sold it because the hype wasn't even close to what people say they are, honestly my takamura petty out performed it at every task besides coring leeks and cost 120 bucks vs the 550 the kato most recently sold for
    I understand your point but I would still take a kato or shig before catchside or haburn. But takamuras on the other hand...people genuinely love those knives, might have to look into it.