Introduction post from James

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wysejp

Reaction score
Hey! Nice forum! I've checked out a few threads and saw a lot of replies suggesting the questionnaire so I checked out the questionnaire and here's my deal. Interested in what you have to say. What do you reckon is the best out there these days?
:hungry:

Living in Ireland.

Looking for a good chef's knife.

Right handed.

14 – 22 cm blade

€500 budget

Used in a professional environment.

Mostly for slicing and chopping vegetables and herbs.

Pinch grip

Rock – chop – slice – draw - push cut - walk

I'd like a wooden or stainless steel handle. Not pakkawood.

Of course I'm looking for good edge retention, but easy to sharpen is also obviously very important.

I'm interested in a knife with good food release.

I use a plastic cutting board.

I sharpen my own knives.

Welcome! I would add one more question to that list: Have you used high end/Japanese knives before? I believe that getting the right knife means getting one that is suited to your cutting and sharpening skills as well as within budget, sounds like the latter won't be an issue, however.

Cheers!

Welcome James.

Are you happy with a non stainless ("carbon steel") knife?

Happy with Japanese or Western handle?

Most of the knives which we like have very thin edges which are hard and fragile. They don't stand up well to techniques that exert sideways forces such as walking. Rocking is probably ok as long as you don't rotate the blade while it's in contact with the board. And of course these knives are at their best with other techniques. It's also best to avoid scraping with the edge (use the spine instead). They also don't respond well to steeling as the edge doesn't fail by rolling (it fails by chipping or abrasion instead).

Thanks for the welcome!

I haven't used Japanese knives before. I'd be open to trying one but I'm looking for a double-beveled knife and I want some curve in the belly.

I don't want a high carbon steel knife that'll react with food. I'm working in a professional kitchen. The chef won't like that.

I really want a thin bladed knife but still I'm more inclined to a softer steel knife as sometimes knives are borrowed in work and a fragile knife will likely end up in bits.

I thought I replied to this but it hasn't come up.

Thanks for the welcome!

I work in a kitchen where people sometimes borrow knives without asking so I don't want something too hard and fragile that'll end up in bits. At the same time I want a thin edged knife that's relatively hard so I don't have to steel it every few minutes. I use different techniques when I cut but I don't rock the knife and I'm always careful and I don't scrape with the edge.

I'm used to a western handle. I've used a Mac before, but I haven't used other Japanese knives, though I'd be interested in trying one.

I'm not looking for a carbon steel knife. I just don't want to have to worry about it reacting with food. Some day, but not today!

By the way, my sharpening skills are limited but I'm looking into getting a fixed angle sharpening kit. Whatche think?

Welcome!

Just a couple of comments. Most knives mentioned here use different (better?) steel and are heat treated to be harder than you are probably used to (which you already know most likely), and some could chip if you use the steel on them. Stropping on a stone or something else to refresh the edge is much better. Also, as to sharpening, most here free hand sharpening on synthetic or natural stones and do not use sharpening kits. I am sure there are some that do and many that have tried them in the past, but alas I have only tried free hand so I can not point you to a good one if you go that route.

Back