Making My Own Uroashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
So I’m going to put my own uroashi in this cheap $30 Yanagiba... I’ll post the final picture when I’m done. I’m just using a cheap rotory tool from harbor freight.

My understanding is that the concavity/hollow on the non bevel side is simply called "ura". I thought that "uraoshi" was the sharpening/ deburring technique (literally ura-push or something like that).

My understanding is that the concavity/hollow on the non bevel side is simply called "ura". I thought that "uraoshi" was the sharpening/ deburring technique (literally ura-push or something like that).

Yeah uraoshi means to only apply any pressure on the push stroke while sharpening on the backside. To push on the back.

Ahh okay thanks sorry. It didn’t really work though. I definitely learned not to buy a $30 ebay single bevel yanagiba

uraksuki is what the hollow ground back side is called

uraoshi can refer to either the method for sharpening the back or the resultant flat area around the perimeter of the back side

ura just means the back

I used a conical whetstone to grind and even out a jacked up ura and it works well. You can find them on woodworking sites

I've been thinking about trying a canoe-shaped scythe stone, not to add an urasuki, but for s-grind conversions.

lol. try a rounded file?

Dont try this. If the steel is high HRC, a file wont do much except frustrate you and... ruin your file.

generally with a large kaiten toishi (rotary water wheel)... though, as noted, shigefusa uses a sen

Indeed! E.g.

or (at 8:50)

or (at 1:58)

I used a conical whetstone to grind and even out a jacked up ura and it works well. You can find them on woodworking sites

That is actually a great idea!

I guess in lieu of a water wheel, the labor saving way would be to use a belt sander & radius platen...

Back