Van der Camp’s pork and beans.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Haha. I loved them as a kid.

Now I find them cloyingly sweet. I’m interested in coming up with a dressed up adult version.

Any tips for a jumping off point? Google came up with a few versions using canned beans. I put a pin in those. Seems molasses is the sweetener in all versions.

My wife adds mustard and I think a little vinegar to "Bush's Original" canned baked beans (the one with the least flavor additives), which helps balance the sugar.

If you want something closer to scratch-made, without the work of soaking/cooking dry beans, you could buy canned baked beans and rinse out the sauce, then add your own.

I think part of the question is what is in the sauce?

Have no idea if this is any good but it showed up as "VAN CAMPS PORK & BEANS COPYCAT RECIPE"

https://www.facebook.com/canningworld/posts/615265745248811

Here is an excellent recipe for Van Camps Pork & Beans made from dried beans that I have used often. I have even made it with great northern beans or a half and half combo of pinto and navy beans for variety yet the great taste is still very close to the original copycat recipe. I got this from an older Kerr Canning and Freezing booklet.
Makes 8 pints
Ingredients:
4 cups navy beans
1/2 lb salt pork or bacon, cut into pieces
4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 cups catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use white sugar and add 2 or 3 more Tbsp molasses at times)
2 cups onion, chopped small (or 1/2 cup dry minced)
Method:
Wash beans thoroughly. Cover with cold water and soak overnight. Boil in same water 45 minutes. Drain beans saving the water. Add all the ingredients to the beans along with 2 cups of the reserved bean liquid. Mix well. Pack into pint canning jars within 1 inch of the top. Put on cap and screw band firmly tight. Process pints or quarts 60 minutes at 10 lbs pressure in canner (adjusted for your altitude).

Just posting it here so there is some data to work from.

Try the Heinz Vegetarian Beans. They are in a green can, not the turquoise can from the UK.

I personally mix a can of the Heinz and a can of the Van der Camp to get what I was looking for.

soak dry navy beans over night with a couple bay leaves
rinse the crap out of it next day
add sauteed onions peppers garlic bacon and ham
brown sugar molassas liquid smoke worcestershire mustard tomato sauce hot sauce cooked down bourbon
onion powder garlic powder celery seed oregano black pepper
chicken stock plus bottle of brown ale
bake 325 covered with foil 4 and half hours
uncover, add some ketchup and your fav bbq sauce and check for salt
bake again at 225 uncovered for another two hours.
stir in fresh chopped parsley and chives

Back