Thread: Good pictures of an Asymmetrical Grind?

Good pictures of an Asymmetrical Grind?

Hello everybody,

I'm a little confused by what an asymmetrical grind really is. I haven't had the chance to use or see one in person, and I haven't seen any pictures/video that demonstrates it clearly for me.

Is it simply a normal double bevel knife with different angles, or is it a single bevel with a micro bevel on the other side? Or...

I'm just a little confused. I want to try to make one but it's kind of difficult when I'm confused about it completely. Thanks!

I tried to catch it with my camera, but it is quite difficult. This is the best I could do.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2696002/Fore...r/IMAG0083.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Is it simply a normal double bevel knife with different angles, or is it a single bevel with a micro bevel on the other side? Or...
    those of those would be asymmetrical edges.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    That's about the edge asymmetry. There is also asymmetry on the overall grind of the knife. Commonly the entire right face of the blade is slightly more convex than the left side which is flatter ground. Hence the frustration for lefties and J-knives.

I borrowed this picture from Bishamon. It is a Watanabe Negikiri.

You can see how the left side (in the picture, in use it would be the right side) of the knife is concave, where the right side is basically dead flat. This knife should be used by a right hander, as the grind would help with food release of the cut product. If you used it left handed, you would experience more sticking and perhaps drag and steering. Also, the non flat side does not have to be concave, it could be convex, have a bevel or several blended bevels.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Ooohhhhhhh; it now all makes sense.

Thanks everyone!

Don, great question. That has helped answer a question for me as well