Media Good pictures of an Asymmetrical Grind?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm a little confused by what an asymmetrical grind really is. I haven't had the chance to use or see one in person, and I haven't seen any pictures/video that demonstrates it clearly for me.

Is it simply a normal double bevel knife with different angles, or is it a single bevel with a micro bevel on the other side? Or...

I'm just a little confused. I want to try to make one but it's kind of difficult when I'm confused about it completely. Thanks!

I borrowed this picture from Bishamon. It is a Watanabe Negikiri.

IMG_3828.jpg

You can see how the left side (in the picture, in use it would be the right side) of the knife is concave, where the right side is basically dead flat. This knife should be used by a right hander, as the grind would help with food release of the cut product. If you used it left handed, you would experience more sticking and perhaps drag and steering. Also, the non flat side does not have to be concave, it could be convex, have a bevel or several blended bevels.

Don, great question. That has helped answer a question for me as well :D

Latest posts

Back