Quantcast
How to sharpen 90/10 Honesuki? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to sharpen 90/10 Honesuki?

I would bet you won't have critical chipping issues with the Tojiro, so don't worry about microbevels at first.

You do not have to change angles on either side, you are just going to sharpen more on the right side. Basically all of your sharpening will happen on the right hand side, then just a few strokes on the left side to remove the burr.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Make sure to remove some of the soft clad in order to free the VG-10 core. You won't want the clad to become part of the very edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Make sure to remove some of the soft clad in order to free the VG-10 core. You won't want the clad to become part of the very edge.
    This sounds like his first time sharpening the knife. He shouldn't have to remove clad to free the core.

And I wouldn't worry about thinning it at all either. It's chubby for a reason. Mine works great as is.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks for all the replies guys, ya i have had it for a few months and haven't needed to sharpen it yet, really tough knife and holds and edge well. It really takes a beating at work as well.

I mainly use it for duck, chicken, lamb etc. It also works as a great bread scorer as well haha.

I will do my best to give it a go tonight, I was thinking i should only take it up to 2k, any recommendations on that?

Also no chipping what so ever, don't think I'm in need of a microbevel although i guess it couldn't hurt anything.

Jon, that woman in those vids has serious game.

i agree that they should not be thinned to do any real chicken work but i was using them as a petty knife to trim tenderloins, strips and ribeyes as well as fabrication of whole animals such as lamb, goat and pig. i needed it to be thinned because i was using it (incorrectly) as a utility and petty knife.

the knife just didn't make sense to me unless i spent some time thinning it.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    ...I was thinking i should only take it up to 2k, any recommendations on that?

Also no chipping what so ever, don't think I'm in need of a microbevel although i guess it couldn't hurt anything.
    2k sounds good to me. I'd probably go up a little more but it isn't necessary. If you don't need a micro, I wouldn't put one in. It is a drop in sharpness in exchange for added stability that you apparently don't need.

i go to 5k then strop on leather with diamond. super nice.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/