Party in the 1K

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenif

Reaction score
There are probably more choices of stones in 1k than any other grit.

What are the characteristics of a "good" 1K stone for you? And of the ones you have tried which one(s) stood out as the one(s) for you?

So far gesshin 1200 and watanabe AI 1k are my faves. Haven’t used a king hyper yet but they’re heavily favored these days. Wat 1k cuts pretty damn fast and doesn’t really clog or wear much at all, and is no soak splash and go. Gesh 1200 just has a good combination of speed and feedback, works quick and feels good-but the stone does wear. I’m really curious about the gesshin no soak 600, which will probably be the next mid grit I pick up.

A fast stone will do for me... Almost through my chosera 1k, and will replace it with shapton 1k. btw tried the shapton 1k and wat side by side in germany recently and they're REALLY similar (identical to me)

Bester 1000 and King 1200 are my favorites. I have a Naniwa Pro that I never cared too much about. Started on a super stone 1000, hated it but used it all anyway. I like 1k stones on the coarser side.

What are the characteristics of a "good" 1K stone for you? And of the ones you have tried which one(s) stood out as the one(s) for you?

Feedback- low need for pressure- speed- hardness, in that order.

I'm thinking of a Hyper 1k or Chosera 800 right now, myself..

Different strokes for different folks really. One of my favourites starting out was the sigma power 1200 as you could really put some pressure on and grind new bevels as well as it stayed pretty flat. Ive since sold it and dont know where you can purchase. Chosera was a very pleasurable one to use too but again sold it off to try other stones. Over time ive just happened to be going with the king deluxe 1000 as i now set my bevels with coarser stones anyway so the need for speed and hardness is less important to me now. I have a shapton pro 1k which is faster and probably slightly coarser but the king leaves a cleaner edge for me and is less prone to creating large burrs if im going too hard or not paying attention.

Whats the deal with these hyper stones? Are they similar to the sigma power 2 1000 grit stone im terms of muddiness and speed? They were both designed to cut highly alloyed/stainless steel right?

fast cut, no dish, not too deep a scratches along with a decent feel without chalk on chalkboard.
Picked up a JNS 800 from Spipet a while back that ticks all the boxes for me in the 1k range.
Cheers

fast cut, no dish, not too deep a scratches along with a decent feel without chalk on chalkboard.
Picked up a JNS 800 from Spipet a while back that ticks all the boxes for me in the 1k range.
Cheers

Good to hear!!

A balance of cutting speed, dish resistance and feedback in that order. Being splash and go is a big, big plus because a 1k comes out when I need more than just a touch up and I may not be prepared for it at the time. That is why I like splash and go in general.

Honestly, with 1k and below stones I am not super picky. Actually I guess I am not super picky at all. I have found very, very few stones I actually despised. Other stones I could see where I did not want to use them on a daily basis or decided that they were not for me but could still see value in them for someone else in a different situation. Point is, I like sharpening stones in general...lol.

My go to 1k is a SP1k simply because it works, it is cheap and I have had one in one form or another for a long time. Second would be a king hyper.

A fast stone will do for me... Almost through my chosera 1k, and will replace it with shapton 1k. btw tried the shapton 1k and wat side by side in germany recently and they're REALLY similar (identical to me)

They are the same stones.... 100% sure. In Japan Shapton sells it with base... The Watanabe 1k base is just laquered.....( the only difference)

And i had Chosera 800 and 1k and the Shapton is faster but rougher....

Greets Sebastian.

Shap pro/wat 1k feels like crap but is hella fast

That was my experience with the Shapton Pro 1k- at first. I thought I'd found the holy
grail, in terms of cutting speed anyway. But it stopped working, and I could not dress
it such that it really came back to life. Oh well! Good to know the AI 1k is
the same stone, as I'd thought of getting one.

One thing I like about the Chosera 3k is that it requires less pressure than most stones,
and I'm wondering if the 800 is similar in that way? Any comments on the feel of it
and the Hyper 1k (the harder one) would be much appreciated.

One thing I like about the Chosera 3k is that it requires less pressure than most stones,
and I'm wondering if the 800 is similar in that way?

Cho 800 has good range.

Versatile stone &
no obvious flaws

(IMHO)

Still haven’t tried that chosera 3k, do you have any idea what grit it actually is?

That was my experience with the Shapton Pro 1k- at first. I thought I'd found the holy
grail, in terms of cutting speed anyway. But it stopped working, and I could not dress
it such that it really came back to life. Oh well! Good to know the AI 1k is
the same stone, as I'd thought of getting one.

and I'm wondering if the 800 is similar in that way? Any comments on the feel of it
and the Hyper 1k (the harder one) would be much appreciated.

Still haven’t tried that chosera 3k, do you have any idea what grit it actually is?

I'd call it around a 4k stone, really. I was a bit slow to warm to it, but like it quite a lot now (for tools).
It and the Suzuki-ya 4k (same as Gesshin 4k I think) are my favorite middle stones at present.

I'd call it around a 4k stone, really. I was a bit slow to warm to it, but like it quite a lot now (for tools).
It and the Suzuki-ya 4k (same as Gesshin 4k I think) are my favorite middle stones at present.

I would be surprised if they were the same... it’s an ambiguous white stone, but it’s one that uses a very unique type of abrasive that I haven’t seen in many stones outside of a few of the ones I had made for the Gesshin lineup.

I am a big fan of the chosera 1k. Straight razor user here, so I don't use that much pressure but stone is very quick

I would be surprised if they were the same... it’s an ambiguous white stone, but it’s one that uses a very unique type of abrasive that I haven’t seen in many stones outside of a few of the ones I had made for the Gesshin lineup.

OK. I was trying to give a point of reference, but have not used the Gesshin 4k, so point taken.
I will say that the stone I mentioned is an unusually nice feeling one.

These days using the King Hyper at home makes good contrast on my KU carbons finish off on 4K gesshin soaker. Both stones keep perma soaked.

At school hands down Gesshin 1K extra large. Sharpen everything on that stone.

If we are gonna talk about slightly lower grits then I would add the suehiro cerax 700 to the mkx (havent used the new cerax 800 but I get the impression its a harder stone). Its reasonably cheap but its a soaker if thats a problem for you. Feels better than the shapton pro 1k and probably leaves a similar finish though I would have to double check that. You can work up a bit of mud on it if you want but by no means does it dish quickly. Leaves a pretty aggressive edge if used to finish german knives or victorinox- ive been playing around with it on boning knives in particular. Ideal set up for me was leaving it to soak alongside a suehiro 320 and sigma power 2000 or 3000. The 2000 is a bit harder than the 3000 and leaves a pretty good working edge for quality stainless if you don't mind the aggression.

Cho 1k. If I had to replace it I'd go with the Cho 800 just to mix it up.

I've tried Bester, Chosera, King, Shapton Glass and Shapton pro. I've settled on using an Atoma 1200 now. I feel like I'm getting the most consistent result with the Atoma than the other 1k stones I've tried.

I've tried Bester, Chosera, King, Shapton Glass and Shapton pro. I've settled on using an Atoma 1200 now. I feel like I'm getting the most consistent result with the Atoma than the other 1k stones I've tried.

I've heard several people and science of sharp also
said 1200-ish diamond plate leaves a good edge

What do you follow up with in your sequence,
to remove the scratches...etc?

Chosera 3k, Suehiro 8k and then a leather strop (loaded with a diamond spray),

Pretty much settled on this setup now. I had a 5k stone in between but didn't find it that useful. I have found the burr to be a little more stubborn coming off the Atoma though.

@masibu thanks for the cerax 700 comments. I was actually just looking at those, couldn’t find much discussion about them at all.

Yeah there is practically no info out there for this stone, hence my curiousity. I had mine soaking indefinitely and had no issues with cracking etc. It just made it feel even better during use as it would soften up. Doesn't feel as rough as the shapton pro 1k or even the bester 700 (which is also a soaker but feels more dense/hard than the cerax). Only reason I'm not using it as much now is because im playing around with my naturals again. I think I honestly prefer my synthetics though so far as im using stainless blades atm

Back