Beginning sharpening videos (technique) for noobs?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

errz

Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend a "de facto" video that everyone here recommends as far as demonstrating good technique for sharpening on stones?

I've seen a few different techniques used on random videos but I was wondering if there was a consensus here on the forums for a good "reference" video that demonstrates solid technique.

The closest thing to a consensus I’ve seen on any forum, covering a myriad of topics, is the opinion on this forum that the sharpening videos from Japanese Knife Imports are the best starting point to learn to sharpen kitchen knives. I agree.

Search on YouTube and follow his playlist.

Korin and knife planet also have solid entries as well.

Peter Nowlan also has some pretty good videos for knife sharpening also.Here is one more link you can get started on.He and Jon from Japanese Knife Imports were and are still my go -to people that I enjoy learning from.Jon is the next best thing to actually having a pro right next to you and showing you all the ins and outs of not only sharpening but the knives and stones also.
[video=youtube;nQYsPZrbD3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQYsPZrbD3I[/video]

Peter Nowlan also has some pretty good videos for knife sharpening also.Here is one more link you can get started on.He and Jon from Japanese Knife Imports were and are still my go -to people that I enjoy learning from.Jon is the next best thing to actually having a pro right next to you and showing you all the ins and outs of not only sharpening but the knives and stones also.
[video=youtube;nQYsPZrbD3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQYsPZrbD3I[/video]

Peter Nowlan and Jon Broida ...... online knife sharpening school should get you started ...........

https://www.knifeplanet.net/knife-sharpening-school-online-course/

I think I will have to take a look at these whenever it comes time for the gyuto to be sharpened.

Peter Nowlan here. Thanks to those who recommended my videos. I was excited to have Jon do a couple of videos with me for Knifeplanet. In my optinion Jon has produced the most informative videos that are available on the internet. Even though he is a very busy man he’s always been eager to share information and I’ve taken great advantage of that.

I like Jon's series as a primer and a refresher. A great place to start.
Pete's series was also very useful. Big thing I took away from Pete was the gradual reduction of the burr (on the first stone) by gradual reduction in sharpening pressure. You can really feel the burr break off woth this technique. It really improved my edges.

Pete's series was also very useful. Big thing I took away from Pete was the gradual reduction of the burr (on the first stone) by gradual reduction in sharpening pressure. You can really feel the burr break off woth this technique. It really improved my edges.

Agreed, it helped me too.

My edge sucked until I ran across Peter's sharpening video about how to use pressure along the way to create a nice sharp edge by removing the burr with lighter and lighter pressure.One other thing that helped me in seeing his videos,he said "take your time,no need to hurry" or something to that effect.I instantly think about that when I sharpen my knives and slowing down and enjoying the process more,also created my perfect edge.

I'll echo every one else's recommendations for the vids from Jon and Peter being very high quality. As a relative beginner myself I've found the format of knife planet to be really helpful. It starts at the beginning and moves through the basics in a really logical flow. (It incorporates content from both Jon and Peter). Once you've learned some of the basics it gets easier to jump around and find videos to answer specific questions, techniques, etc.

Back