What do you spend on groceries a week?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I like to come here and read up on various knife skills, and different preparations of foods you guys are doing. I see that we are all using pretty high quality items and I started thinking about how much I actually spend on all the food my wife and I cook. It seems like I am spending a considerable amount of cash each month on food and I buy most of it in bulk, which saves me a little. My wife and I probably spend around $70-100 bucks a week on food for just the two of us, and that doesn't even count if I have to go out and buy steak or an expensive cut of meat.

I was wondering what everyone else was spending on food a week, just out of curiosity. I think I could get by with boxed food and save around $20 a month, however, the taste would be hard to get around.

To say nothing about the sodium!
I don't pay attention to my food bill.

Next to nothing... although now we can afford to start restocking as I'm working again after a year out of work. 2 adults and a 16 year old (ugh) we spend about $70 a week on staples, I eat samples at work to make up some lost meals and the kid is on the school lunch program so that helps a bit.

We just get as creative as we can on as basic a shopping list as posable, lots of fresh vegies, beans, rice, and what ever we can snag on a deal lol.

Well I just realized that I probably have to subtract out $40-$50 for things like cat food, dog food, cat litter, toilet paper, etc. Non food items.

-AJ

+1 And then we have guests over quite a bit... I'd have to say it's gotta be $100+ a week. I doubt it goes anywhere near $200... It depends on how much stress there is going around, too. More stress = more prepared food which makes it go up and then there's going out to eat the makes it go down...

Some weeks I will spend $100 on groceries for myself, others, less than $10. I eat most meals at the restaurant and I like to go out on my days off and see what everyone else is up to.

I can say that with just food, 2 adults and a 2.5 year old...i easily spend $100-150 a week....usually $200-225 with non food items...

The family(4 total, but one's a baby) eats $130 a week. And we work that budget, baby! We buy almost entirely raw ingredients, and prefer to work rather than pay for our food.

I am curious to see if Mr. Drinky weighs in on this. I get the impression he might win this one.

I am rarely home enough to cook full meals, so normally do quick things, though that can be grilling a nice steak. Single guy, though sometimes cooks for groups, would say $40 on a light week, $100 on a heavier. Probably eat out a couple times a week though, so lessens the grocery bill.

My wife and I spend about $125 a week on groceries. However, we buy almost no convenience or processed foods. If the week includeds a trip to the Farmer's Market, then maybe $150. We eat meat about 4 times a week and not large portions of it, but I insist on hormone-free and free-range. We buy local vegetables, most of them are excellent greenhouse grown ones so I don't require organic. This does include what some might consider luxury items but are staples for us like quality whole bean coffee, fine cheeses and farm fresh eggs. I make cabbage rolls, bread, flavoured oils and vinegars, gnocchi, pasta, perogies, pizza and sausages for us. We can our own jams, jellies and tomatoes every year. My wife does the baking, usually cookies and/or muffins for a treat. It might seem a bit extravagant, but we don't eat out too often. We have a good little wine cellar at home, too. We're not exact rich, but doing well. We definititely live to eat!!!

My wife and I spend about $125 a week on groceries. However, we buy almost no convenience or processed foods. If the week includeds a trip to the Farmer's Market, then maybe $150. We eat meat about 4 times a week and not large portions of it, but I insist on hormone-free and free-range. We buy local vegetables, most of them are excellent greenhouse grown ones so I don't require organic. This does include what some might consider luxury items but are staples for us like quality whole bean coffee, fine cheeses and farm fresh eggs. I make cabbage rolls, bread, flavoured oils and vinegars, gnocchi, pasta, perogies, pizza and sausages for us. We can our own jams, jellies and tomatoes every year. My wife does the baking, usually cookies and/or muffins for a treat. It might seem a bit extravagant, but we don't eat out too often. We have a good little wine cellar at home, too. We're not exact rich, but doing well. We definititely live to eat!!!

I'm envious! Blairsville is only 850 people. While we buy very few processed foods, we eat eat what the grocery sells. With the exception of milk, organic is out of the question for us. We tried once and went broke. The demand is so low here that prices are just too high.

-AJ

Latest posts

Back