Quantcast
What do you spend on groceries a week? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you spend on groceries a week?

The family(4 total, but one's a baby) eats $130 a week. And we work that budget, baby! We buy almost entirely raw ingredients, and prefer to work rather than pay for our food.

I am curious to see if Mr. Drinky weighs in on this. I get the impression he might win this one.

I am rarely home enough to cook full meals, so normally do quick things, though that can be grilling a nice steak. Single guy, though sometimes cooks for groups, would say $40 on a light week, $100 on a heavier. Probably eat out a couple times a week though, so lessens the grocery bill.

My wife and I spend about $125 a week on groceries. However, we buy almost no convenience or processed foods. If the week includeds a trip to the Farmer's Market, then maybe $150. We eat meat about 4 times a week and not large portions of it, but I insist on hormone-free and free-range. We buy local vegetables, most of them are excellent greenhouse grown ones so I don't require organic. This does include what some might consider luxury items but are staples for us like quality whole bean coffee, fine cheeses and farm fresh eggs. I make cabbage rolls, bread, flavoured oils and vinegars, gnocchi, pasta, perogies, pizza and sausages for us. We can our own jams, jellies and tomatoes every year. My wife does the baking, usually cookies and/or muffins for a treat. It might seem a bit extravagant, but we don't eat out too often. We have a good little wine cellar at home, too. We're not exact rich, but doing well. We definititely live to eat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    My wife and I spend about $125 a week on groceries. However, we buy almost no convenience or processed foods. If the week includeds a trip to the Farmer's Market, then maybe $150. We eat meat about 4 times a week and not large portions of it, but I insist on hormone-free and free-range. We buy local vegetables, most of them are excellent greenhouse grown ones so I don't require organic. This does include what some might consider luxury items but are staples for us like quality whole bean coffee, fine cheeses and farm fresh eggs. I make cabbage rolls, bread, flavoured oils and vinegars, gnocchi, pasta, perogies, pizza and sausages for us. We can our own jams, jellies and tomatoes every year. My wife does the baking, usually cookies and/or muffins for a treat. It might seem a bit extravagant, but we don't eat out too often. We have a good little wine cellar at home, too. We're not exact rich, but doing well. We definititely live to eat!!!
    I'm envious! Blairsville is only 850 people. While we buy very few processed foods, we eat eat what the grocery sells. With the exception of milk, organic is out of the question for us. We tried once and went broke. The demand is so low here that prices are just too high.

-AJ

+ Reply to Thread