Quantcast
spicy white steel - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: spicy white steel

I heat treated a sample of the steel last night. It was 67+ out of the quench and 64.5 after tempering. I'll probably take it to 63rc. This stuff , like expected, resists tempering. I broke it to look at the fracture grain size. It has a very fine grain. It looks as fine as AEB-L. Lookin good so far.

Hoss

Engorged Member
    I'm in.

What's that Devin? A spicy pass-around knife coming soon?!? Why yes, sign me up please

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    I heat treated a sample of the steel last night. It was 67+ out of the quench and 64.5 after tempering. I'll probably take it to 63rc. This stuff , like expected, resists tempering. I broke it to look at the fracture grain size. It has a very fine grain. It looks as fine as AEB-L. Lookin good so far.

Hoss
    Ah ha!!!! For a year now I've been puzzled how people on so many forums claim a steel is fine grained without ever seeing any photomicrographs. Now I get it!! You're looking at fracture surfaces! Sometimes I'm a bit slow.

-AJ

100x magnification

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Ah ha!!!! For a year now I've been puzzled how people on so many forums claim a steel is fine grained without ever seeing any photomicrographs. Now I get it!! You're looking at fracture surfaces! Sometimes I'm a bit slow.

-AJ

Sponsors

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    hey Hoss you could be a pal and send a small piece of that to Idaho well not too small

How much do you want?

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    hey Hoss you could be a pal and send a small piece of that to Idaho well not too small

It occured to me that I am halfway between two of the best knifemakers in the world. Perhaps Devin andBill should meet in the SLC to discuss spicy steel and bring samples. Hehe. Hoss, you are making this pretty irresistable. I hope it all works out good for you.

It's irresistible because it is spicy. People used to travel half around the world to get those.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Bailey Bradshaw showed me a quick and dirty little trick for determining if he had gotten the grain size down without having to break a blade, but it might not work on kitchen knives because of the fine edge and bevel geometry unless you try it before you do your final shaping. He told me that when you put the edge on the blade on the belt grinder, if you are able to draw out a long, floppy wire edge, then you have some pretty fine grain. Like I said, quick and dirty, but perhaps more helpful to find out if you screwed up your heat treat and DON"T have fine grain.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post

-AJ

+ Reply to Thread