Line Work Horse Stainless Gyuto/Kiritsuke $70-90 Preferred!?! "Which Knife Should I Buy?"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto or Kiritsuke

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180-210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Sadly for this knife, Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$160 but preferably between $70-100, or at most $100-130. $160 if for something that is unbelievable that I have to buy because it won't be there in a few months.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Everything really, it's going to be general work horse for the Line at the restaurant I work. Hence why I Need stainless, because I won't be able to spend time maintaining it and preventing rust.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
a Cheap Sekizo Santoku 180mm

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
All of them; Push-Cut, Rock , Slice, Draw, Chop, and Walk.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better edge retention, a stronger steel, better holding and looking, just an all around better knife.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Any uniqueness is preferred, I would prefer damascus and an exoctic wood, but At Least a wooden handle.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Heavier knife and improved balance

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Better food release, maybe, and the rest regardless of what it is i'm sure will be better!

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
At least a few days of continual 10+ hours of use each day.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
I'm always learning more

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes actually have a natural stone on the way as we speak.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I don't think you need a kiritsuke. That's a totally different animal than what you may be looking for. It's a single bevel hybrid knife that's a cross between usuba and yanagiba. So unless you are working the sushi bar and are doing katsuramuki and slicing sashimi and need to save space you most likely don't need one.
And even if you did need one you certainly aren't going to find it for $90. Not even close.

So anyway if I could make a suggestion that ticks a few of your boxes check out this 210mm Gesshin stainless wa-gyuto.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyuto

What he said. From Jon's description he brought this knife to the market to meet the requirements you've described - an entry level priced knife that will perform well.

As noted you're not going to touch a traditional kiritsuke within your budget. I expect you're looking for a double bevel knife with a cool looking tip that's better described as a K-tip gyuto. You may find a cheap one but it will likely be all show and no go.

That gesshin stainless looks like a spot on rec. I would still probably take my chances on the kaeru.

That gesshin looks to have a good grind on it often cheaper knives are lacking in this most important category. Even comes with a saya.

Another cheap knife that performs well is the JCK Natures Blue Moon series Gyuto. Oval Chestnut handle resin bolster. San Mai Nashiji Blue#2 core steel stainless cladding. I know you said stainless, but the carbon core steel takes a razor edge and patina only on edge of knife. 98.00 210mm gyuto. Also has a good grind that cuts well.

I don't think you need a kiritsuke. That's a totally different animal than what you may be looking for. It's a single bevel hybrid knife that's a cross between usuba and yanagiba. So unless you are working the sushi bar and are doing katsuramuki and slicing sashimi and need to save space you most likely don't need one.
And even if you did need one you certainly aren't going to find it for $90. Not even close.

So anyway if I could make a suggestion that ticks a few of your boxes check out this 210mm Gesshin stainless wa-gyuto.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyuto

Yeah I just realized that a few days ago, I guess a Kiritsuke style gyuto, not a traditional Kiritsuke

And I like that knife I’ve seen it before thanks for the suggestion

What he said. From Jon's description he brought this knife to the market to meet the requirements you've described - an entry level priced knife that will perform well.

As noted you're not going to touch a traditional kiritsuke within your budget. I expect you're looking for a double bevel knife with a cool looking tip that's better described as a K-tip gyuto. You may find a cheap one but it will likely be all show and no go.

Yeah exactly. I don’t know my Gekko has turned out to be a rockstar honestly

That gesshin looks to have a good grind on it often cheaper knives are lacking in this most important category. Even comes with a saya.

Another cheap knife that performs well is the JCK Natures Blue Moon series Gyuto. Oval Chestnut handle resin bolster. San Mai Nashiji Blue#2 core steel stainless cladding. I know you said stainless, but the carbon core steel takes a razor edge and patina only on edge of knife. 98.00 210mm gyuto. Also has a good grind that cuts well.

I’d love to get that but the only thing is I won’t be the only one using it, others will and I can’t rely on them especially when busy to wipe it down. Would it rust on the edge I’m assuming? If not taken care of?

Even a days cutting will start to form a protective patina. Just wash & wipe the blade dry at end of shift. What are you cutting on the line? Proteins either knife should work well. You & your compadre's should not bang the edge into anything hard. At work was kind of picky who I let use my knives. They got borrowed because I kept them very sharp.

Even a days cutting will start to form a protective patina. Just wash & wipe the blade dry at end of shift. What are you cutting on the line? Proteins either knife should work well. You & your compadre's should not bang the edge into anything hard. At work was kind of picky who I let use my knives. They got borrowed because I kept them very sharp.

Pretty much everything. From raw proteins of all sorts, veggies, to cooked proteins and sandwiches, etc. yeah I don’t really let people use my blue #2 Gekko if they ask I’ll let them but I’m watching them closely to make sure they wipe it off! So you’re saying that it won’t rust on me? I cut an onion one time with blue No.2 and forgot to wipe and a friend says you better be careful, not even five minutes after it had a crazy insane yellow stain on it that looked like it could have turned into rust really easy

Any other suggestions?! I like both of the suggestions so far, but why would those be better than a cheaper one? Just asking. Wondering what is good about these knives and anything unique? Compared to like some Dalstrong haha! Not that I’d buy a dalstrong but just using that as an example. Or this knife for $52 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323020927482 simple like the other ones, just not a Japanese handle...

Any other suggestions?! I like both of the suggestions so far, but why would those be better than a cheaper one? Just asking. Wondering what is good about these knives and anything unique? Compared to like some Dalstrong haha! Not that I’d buy a dalstrong but just using that as an example. Or this knife for $52 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323020927482 simple like the other ones, just not a Japanese handle...

Because they are from reliable sellers with a very good reputation, and people made good experience with these knives.

Because that knife looks ****.

Grind is everything on a knife. Take a look at the Gesshin Stainless it has a grind choil shot picture. It is thicker and tapers to a thin edge. Many cheaper knives are thick behind the edge don't cut as well & dull fast.

Because that knife looks ****.
Haha! I mean to me the JKI one suggested isn’t that great looking either if I’m going to spend that much especially on a stainless knife I’d rather have a better looking one. And the one you say looks like s hut isn’t much worse than the JKI one. And I don’t want some bland knife that can’t develop a patina which I can’t with stainless. So I’d rather have a Damascus blade or something else that is unique

Go for it! I got it now, I think, you want bling for the buck, not bang...

ON TOPIC: don't know, maybe a VG10 Damascus gyuto from Tanaka? And there are Blue #2 in stainless clad Nashiji gyutos too from Tanaka...

Haha! I mean to me the JKI one suggested isn’t that great looking either if I’m going to spend that much especially on a stainless knife I’d rather have a better looking one. And the one you say looks like s hut isn’t much worse than the JKI one. And I don’t want some bland knife that can’t develop a patina which I can’t with stainless. So I’d rather have a Damascus blade or something else that is unique

You misunderstand. I'm not saying the knife looks like **** aesthetically. What I'm saying is that the quality of that knife you posted looks like **** in comparison. As in the one I posted is a better made, better performing knife. But what do I know? I've only actually used the one and not the other. Why don't you stop ******* around and just give Jon a call already. I'm sure he could explain it better than I could.

Op you do seem rather concerned with aesthetics. If that is your goal, there is nothing wrong with that necessarily. I would perhaps just get what you want or follow the Tanaka rec although it might be a little more. Also you could go with a takayuki vg10 Damascus hammered. I will say there are plenty of knive nuts that may not own a single Damascus knife, currently I'd be one, not that there is anything wrong with Damascus. But there is much more to a knife than Damascus cladding. Usually when you are on a budget alot of people will try to steer you to a knive that gets the most performance for your money, rather than, focusing on blingy cladding. In the end it's your cash and you should spend it how you want it to satisfy your preferences.

You could also walk in to your local Williams and Sonoma and maybe catch a shun premier on sale.

Pretty knives cost more with no gain in performance. In this price bracket, if you get a pretty knife, it's unlikely to perform well.

Saying it another way, if you want a knife which which will perform, you need to spend (a lot) more to also get a knife which is pretty.

Although some Damascus knives are really cool and unique the ones you r looking at aren't really that unique. You r probably just not used to seeing them so they come off as unique. Shun classics come off as amazing knives to newbs(you may even hear them heralded as the best), partially because of the cladding and their supposed super steel, but they are fairly average or entry level jks and there are arguably much better entries into jks, some have already been mentioned.

Any Other Suggestions Anyone?!

You misunderstand. I'm not saying the knife looks like **** aesthetically. What I'm saying is that the quality of that knife you posted looks like **** in comparison. As in the one I posted is a better made, better performing knife. But what do I know? I've only actually used the one and not the other. Why don't you stop ******* around and just give Jon a call already. I'm sure he could explain it better than I could.

haha yeah I mean i'm not really questioning that the gesshin will be better, but really how much better...??! I will say you all have almost convinced me to buy it, I watched the video Jon made and it definitely seems like a great knife, but I don't know...

Op you do seem rather concerned with aesthetics. If that is your goal, there is nothing wrong with that necessarily. I would perhaps just get what you want or follow the Tanaka rec although it might be a little more. Also you could go with a takayuki vg10 Damascus hammered. I will say there are plenty of knive nuts that may not own a single Damascus knife, currently I'd be one, not that there is anything wrong with Damascus. But there is much more to a knife than Damascus cladding. Usually when you are on a budget alot of people will try to steer you to a knive that gets the most performance for your money, rather than, focusing on blingy cladding. In the end it's your cash and you should spend it how you want it to satisfy your preferences.

Yeah and I guess that's where i'm at, I just don't really understand yet Exactly what makes a "good" knife good. And I guess that's kind of why I want to buy that knife just so I can see the difference. Like I can tell minor differences, and I like my Gekko Way Better than the sekizo I was gifted because it's heavier and holds an edge better and is bigger And It Looks Better. And so if I can get a decent knife that looks cool and unique i'd rather do that.. I don't know!!!

Go for it! I got it now, I think, you want bling for the buck, not bang...

ON TOPIC: don't know, maybe a VG10 Damascus gyuto from Tanaka? And there are Blue #2 in stainless clad Nashiji gyutos too from Tanaka...
haha yeah I guess you could say that, but not necessarily either... like I said I don't really know what the difference is!!
I haven't really used a good knife, the only "good" knives I have really used have been either wustof pros or shun knives that cost no more than $100. So I haven't ever really used a Good knife in all honesty the Gekko I have that was $111 haha is the Best knife I have actually used, and I Definitely know even though I love this knife that there are Way Better Knives out there.
You could also walk in to your local Williams and Sonoma and maybe catch a shun premier on sale.
haha definitely;)! I think i'll have to pass on that, I Hate Shuns! and by the time I buy a shun at W&S i'd could have Actually gotten a Good knife.

Although some Damascus knives are really cool and unique the ones you r looking at aren't really that unique. You r probably just not used to seeing them so they come off as unique. Shun classics come off as amazing knives to newbs(you may even hear them heralded as the best), partially because of the cladding and their supposed super steel, but they are fairly average or entry level jks and there are arguably much better entries into jks, some have already been mentioned.
yeah see that's exactly what I don't want, like I want a damascus, but I also want a Unique Damascus. A pattern that doesn't resemble shun or other average ones. Like an HHH or Kramer pattern haha! But I know that's not possible without spending $500-1000 At Least.

The more I keep talking about this more I feel like the Gesshin may be what I should get. I guess another thing is that I am just antsy to buy another knife, and I can buy a $70 much sooner than I could a $140 knife (because even though it says $120 i'm sure the shipping is going to be high...?)

Any discount codes and or deals for some Knives from JKI Jon?!

That knife is probably the best deal in the knife world at $120. If you pay attention you'll notice Jon offers free shipping, within the states, for purchases over $100. $120 is over that threshold.

I work with a guy that asks for advice only to have something to argue about. Tell me you're not that guy???:nono: hehehe

this dude sound like he wants a shun but doesnt want to be made fun of for it.

dave i called out someone for the same thing on the forum just a few minutes ago about miyabi.

That knife is probably the best deal in the knife world at $120. If you pay attention you'll notice Jon offers free shipping, within the states, for purchases over $100. $120 is over that threshold.

I work with a guy that asks for advice only to have something to argue about. Tell me you're not that guy???:nono: hehehe
Haha no I’m not haha! Though I do like to question everything. But nice I guess I may have to buy it, you guys I think have talked me into it... I want to see if this knife really is that much better.?
this dude sound like he wants a shun but doesnt want to be made fun of for it.

dave i called out someone for the same thing on the forum just a few minutes ago about miyabi.
Haha nah bra no way bro beans! I don’t want a miyabi either. I don’t want any sort of mass produced hyped knife, and shuns are all ugly to me.

What about a better knife going up to $160 like that kaeur that jville mentioned?!?

Haha no I’m not haha! Though I do like to question everything. But nice I guess I may have to buy it, you guys I think have talked me into it... I want to see if this knife really is that much better.?

Haha nah bra no way bro beans! I don’t want a miyabi either. I don’t want any sort of mass produced hyped knife, and shuns are all ugly to me.

What about a better knife going up to $160 like that kaeur that jville mentioned?!?

I don't know your sharpening experience so don't take this the wrong way but maybe ask Jon to do the initial sharpening on the knife so you have a baseline on how the knife should perform.

I just don't really understand yet Exactly what makes a "good" knife good.

My take- in decending prder of priority (for a knife which you intend to actually use):
1) A grind which optimises the tradeoff between thinness behind the edge and food release.
2) A heat treatment which offers a good balance of sharpenability, edge retention and toughness appropriate to the knife's intended use.
3) A profile appropriate to the knife's intended use.
4) A vendor who provides excellent pre-, intra- and post- sales service.
5) A steel appropriate to the knife's intended use.
6) A comfortable handle and spine and choil.
7) Pretty handles and pretty blade face treatments (such as damascus).
8) Special, difficult to make and expensive processes such as honyaki or integral/ monosteel damascus

Priorities for collectors obviously are a little different.

At your price point, if you can get even close to fulfilling points 1 through 5, you are on a winner.

Back