Sujihiki recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al312

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some recommendations on which Suji to buy.

I have been checking the BST section for some time, but either the knives posted there are gone too fast or just out of my price range.
My budget is around $200-$300. Acceptable length are 270-300mm and it should be a carbon steel.
Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Below i filed he questionaire.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Suji

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270-300mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)?
Slicing meats and fish

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Currently I use my Gyuto for everything this would expand my set.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slicing

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
2-4 weeks (20-30 uses)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes I got some synthetic stones

Do you want a stuff one or one with some flex? Wa or western handle? What are you going to use it for? Might want to fill out the "Which Knife Should I Buy?" Questionnaire

@ryanjams

thanks for the tip. Found the Mazaki 270mm kasumi suji. Will consider it and would like to have some more options to pick from.

@dafox

i updated my post to include the questionaire.
I think I might prefer a stiff knife and western handle is a no-go.

Not much of a suji guy myself but I alwayslike to touch base w/ Jon @japaneseknifeimports to get his thoughts. He's likely got something that would fit your requirements but even when he doesn't I always feel like I make a more informed decision after speaking with him.

I like my Shinko Selian from KnS. Great to sharpen. Great edge retention. Great value.

Toyama is also excellent but you'd need to catch it at 15% discount to be in budget.

Not as big a fan of Carbonext. Gets quite sharp but the softer steel doesn't hold up as well against crispy skinned roasts.

Gesshin Ginga from Jon... or a Tadatsuna?
Both are thin, monosteel, good F&F... Not the most interesting recommendations you'll get, but solid nuts-and-bolts performers.
I've used both and can't complain.

The Shinko Selian looks cool too, if you'd rather have clad than monosteel. (Haven't tried one so can't comment.)

thanks for the pointers.

I am split between the Shinko and Mazaki.

Toyama would be nice. Unfortunately out of my range. Same goes for a 270 Gesshin Ginga

blueway japan ebay store if you want laser type wa he has a couple

Just recently bought this suji 300mm but stainless because I work near the ocean. I like this knife a lot, only use 1 knife work at the line and gyuto to prep. Most of the sushi chef use 2 knives, Yanagi or suji for fish and gyuto for maki(roll). This one saves a lot of space. I bought at Mutual Trading which they have knife sale in summer, you can wait if you like. A bit over the budgets brand is Nenox.
30739216_10209723354959432_5416629848237932544_n.jpg

If you like the toyama, but it's out of your budget. I would go with the mazaki. The seem to share some qualities. I have both in 240 gyuto and they have alot of similarities. Not saying they are the same or anything, but saying stylistically if you like one there's a good chance I think you'd like the other. Very different profiles though. Also, the mazaki is a really great value now.

Back