Chosera 2k vs shapton 2k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m curious how the these 2 stones compare. I imagine that the shapton is faster, harder but with inferior feedback while the chosera probably feels great but likely cuts slower. As far as polishing the blade is there much difference? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what combination you have, but i would not choose 2k as it's too coarse for a polishing stone and too fine for a sharpening stone.

For the chosera i would suggest 800 & 3000 combination. Knife would be quite sharp after 800 and it's fast, and the 3000 can give you a very keen edge.

for Shapton, 2k would be coarser than the chosera 2k, i would recommend 1k rather than 2k for the Shapton, 2k is too fine and too slow when compared with those available in range #1000,#1500,#2000, (#5000). I rather get Shapton Glass #500 & #3000 which give you better speed and keener edge.

If you are looking for a stone to start your normal sharpening session with, than have a look at Watanabe 1k, Shapton Pro 1k and Gesshin 2k. There are certainly many others that will work great, but I have experience with these. If you are looking for a finisher with some bite, than all of these are still too coarse for that.

I actually really, really like the pro 2k. It has fair to good feedback, to me, and decent feel in use. Not the best and by far not the worst. Almost a dense rubber feel with a bit of chalkiness. Best stone of the SP line up, imo. It has been a minute since I used the chosera 2k so take this for what it is worth but along with the 600 it was one of my least favorite stones of the series. Slightly muted feedback compared to the 800 and the 3k (my favorite stones from the series).

What I like about the shapton is that it can throw on a fair but slightly coarse "working faux kasumi" on a blade with little to no effort. It can also make the jump from a coarser stone like a 300-500 stone without blinking. Fast enough to reset an edge if you need to but it isn't where I would typically start on a full progression as I have better stones for that.

The edge left has a load of what I like to call "subtle bite" but seems to be at that point where it is just starting to become refined/smooth. For me it is a great edge to finish softer stainless and carbon knives. Great for a quick stropping touch up on something losing bite too.

Anyway, I am smitten with the stone. It is one of my favorite stones and is my favorite mid grit synthetic.

I have and like the Shapton Pro 2k, too, though I like the M15 and M24 2k better; they soak up more water and have better feedback.
They're all very good stones at that grit level. I've not tried the Chosera 2k.

+1 on the SP 2k, great as a touch up stone and also as finisher for work knives, fast enough, hard, works on everything. And also +1 on the choseras 800 and 3k.

Have used the Chosera 2k for years for fast touching up when I worked on crappy poly boards. Very fast, leaving a great bite, almost no burr remnants left.
When I had one stone to keep, it would be the 2k. Can't compare though.

how does the gesshin 2k compare in terms of speed and feedback?

I have the same question, despite not really needing another stone in this range. That it's said to be
a possible replacement for a 1k is intriguing, especially if the feedback is good.

i had frost bite on my ears as a kid playing outside in the snow for hours on end without a hat, only thing i remember is peeling away all the scabbies from the itchiness.

anyways, gesh 2k arrived and after an hour soak i did a quick touchup (4 minute session) on my yoshikane white that had a very degraded edge (would not come back bitey with use of mac black) and it gave life back like a charm!! i really like this stone, it's all business (not sexy). what i mean by that is it is quick and to the point with decent feedback and good mud, did not get a sense of any dishing (not that it had any chance for it since it was so quick session), medium hardness. seemed pretty thirsty, had to splash water often. maybe this will change with a longer soak. i'll be leaving it permasoaked.

to elaborate on its feedback, biggest thing i could nail it down to is it gave a strong sense of security, as in it was always doing its job so clearly it's good at releasing abrasive. i'm guessing there is not a lot of binder in this stone.

it's funny that the knife i intended to use this stone for was not the first one i actually put to pasture cause at the time my 'kane needed lovin more than the 'hiro did.

craig and dave, you might as well hit up jon now cause this one is a keeper.

Yeah I started this thread mostly because I was interested in a stone that could help with sharpening really durable steel. I’m pretty convinced that my old approach is likely what I’ll continue to do: spend more time on 400 grit and 1k than I normally would for carbon then 4-6k finisher for difficult stainless. Same progression just more attention to stuff on the lower grits. Still fun reading everybody’s thoughts though.

Back