Why there is Cobalt in VG-10

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha stringer click the link. Btw Larrin thanks for sharing with us. I gotta read it again when I got more time to sit down but overall being not that technical I felt like I could follow along.
It’s also funny stringer you mention toughness cause the article has a whole section about that topic and mentions in some low alloy steels it actual decreased toughness. Mostly read the article then come back to the thread my crappy paraphrasing of it is no substitute.
Larrin just a novice question. Correct me if I’m wrong but the addition of cobalt seems to always reduce toughness but is there any reason why you would want to reduce toughness? Maybe a stupid question but is there a too tough even when making knives is the goal?

Sorry, I was on the move earlier and missed the link. I've read it now. Very interesting Larrin. Thanks for sharing.

Most VG-10 knives are clad in my experience. You say that the addition of cobalt might help with special coatings. Would these be coatings between the core and cladding material? Or would the cobalt help the cladding itself adhere better?

And lastly, what is the obstacle to VG-10 monosteel? Too brittle?

Thanks again.

Larrin just a novice question. Correct me if I’m wrong but the addition of cobalt seems to always reduce toughness but is there any reason why you would want to reduce toughness? Maybe a stupid question but is there a too tough even when making knives is the goal?
With making knives I can't think of a time when something might be "too tough." Toughness is essentially the resistance to fracture and usually that's bad. Maybe there are specific applications out there where they might want a material to chip or fracture for some reason. Now, there are certain properties which correlate inversely with toughness that might be more important for certain applications, but you aren't increasing that because you are looking to reduce your toughness.

Sorry, I was on the move earlier and missed the link. I've read it now. Very interesting Larrin. Thanks for sharing.

Most VG-10 knives are clad in my experience. You say that the addition of cobalt might help with special coatings. Would these be coatings between the core and cladding material? Or would the cobalt help the cladding itself adhere better?
Laminated steels are not the "coatings" I am referring to, more like PVD processing. Cobalt would not help with laminating steels.
And lastly, what is the obstacle to VG-10 monosteel? Too brittle?
There's nothing wrong with VG-10 monosteel. Spyderco has sold thousands (millions?) of monosteel VG-10 pocket knives. The proliferation of laminated VG-10 kitchen knives has to do with tradition, style, and availability.

Old shun pro, JCK kagayaki VG10 - both monosteel VG10... but what for, unless you want something that can take a more scratch proof blade face polish? Probably very tiring to thin :)

Old shun pro, JCK kagayaki VG10 - both monosteel VG10... but what for, unless you want something that can take a more scratch proof blade face polish? Probably very tiring to thin :)

I didn't find it being particularly abrasion resistant. Much easier thinning than soft stainless cladding or Krupp's 4116.

Back