Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Your Help (Input) Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Wow, that is an interesting idea.
    to take it further, with your skillset i would buy heat treated blades with with the basic grind.... no polishing or finishing and then you do your magic,,, grind and handles....

a) yr special grind to achieve that with the first cut... you now that this knife is special

b) your finishing

c.) Handles... Not too many in japan can do nice western handles. My Fav is Sajisan which i believe that other makers gets him to do it but with limited types of wood. One or 2 large makers tried but didnt work out. Rest of world mainly Wa handles.. I suspectb that being a masochist... you prefer to do western handles

d.) You need to hook up with a blacksmith who will sell you the blanks at dealers price and allow you to label it as your brand... if possible or the very least... with their brand.. THere shld be some good money there..

DO send a couple of nice handled knives my way should you implement this idea. it wld be much appreciated

as always best wishes and good luck...Z

how about offering up your services of pimping out knives people already have?
    do a quote system
    they email you what they have and what they want done and you give them a price and estimated completion time.

one candidate i have is my yoshihiro western in mono ginsanko. wouldnt mind knocking the bolster off do a lot of rounding on spine/choil and popping on a stock wa handle and some thinning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    to take it further, with your skillset i would buy heat treated blades with with the basic grind.... no polishing or finishing and then you do your magic,,, grind and handles....

a) yr special grind to achieve that with the first cut... you now that this knife is special

b) your finishing

c.) Handles... Not too many in japan can do nice western handles. My Fav is Sajisan which i believe that other makers gets him to do it but with limited types of wood. One or 2 large makers tried but didnt work out. Rest of world mainly Wa handles.. I suspectb that being a masochist... you prefer to do western handles

d.) You need to hook up with a blacksmith who will sell you the blanks at dealers price and allow you to label it as your brand... if possible or the very least... with their brand.. THere shld be some good money there..

DO send a couple of nice handled knives my way should you implement this idea. it wld be much appreciated

as always best wishes and good luck...Z

Now that's ambitious thinking! I need to digest this some more before commenting. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    how about offering up your services of pimping out knives people already have?
    do a quote system
    they email you what they have and what they want done and you give them a price and estimated completion time.
    I've been doing that forever....but not for you and I'd like to change that.

one candidate i have is my yoshihiro western in mono ginsanko. wouldnt mind knocking the bolster off do a lot of rounding on spine/choil and popping on a stock wa handle and some thinning as well.
    And along comes the first candidate!

BTW, did you see this before? Misono Dragon - Western to Wa Conversion

how did i miss that before? looks awesome! and i love that the neck is nice and thick so you actually have some place to grip.

i will definitely hit you up about it later down the line as i currently have another project in the works.

how did i miss that before? looks awesome! and i love that the neck is nice and thick so you actually have some place to grip.

i will definitely hit you up about it later down the line as i currently have another project in the works.

PS - it's nice that you like the neck/choil but I can do much better/nicer today, doesn't have to be like I did it back then.

Quote Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
    I don't understand why you'd want to buy the new knives to upgrade.
    i thought you had cash flow problems.
    You will just end up having to discount the upgraded knives to sell them - same as you do with the new knives you make.
    Also there is no reason for you to purchase the new knives unless you get a significant discount (wholesale) compared to your customer.
    Otherwise you'd have to mark up the cost of the new knife to get a fair return on your investment - so the end product is more expensive.
    Passing along the cost of the new knife with no mark up is not good business.

i suggest you instead just promote your pimping/refurbishing and let your customers provide the knives.
    They can send you their knives or buy a new one and have it shipped to you. This way you are not out cash up front!
    And you know you have the customer for the work you're doing.

I think promoting your upgrading and refurbishing services is good business.
    One key to grow this business is to be transparent on the pricing and provide reliable turnaround times.

1. Put a price list on your website with price ranges for etching, polishing, re-handling, pimping etc.
    2. Provide a reasonable turnaround time and don't charge until the work is done and ready to ship.
    This except for maybe #2. I know that I wouldn't want to invest time working on something that the owner might stiff me on. On the other hand, you'd be able to hold the knife until payment is made?

Buying a bunch of knives to "upcycle" means sinking perhaps thousands of dollars into inventory. Okay if you have the cash to invest and not need to make a profit right away, but not so good otherwise. You'd be doing something similar to Chris Weidmark, don't know if you know him, google him and etsy japanese knives (he also has a website). As far as I can tell, he buys from the blades from Japanese bladesmiths and then sells them with his custom handles.

Why not do the custom handle thing? It seems people are willing to pay $100-$200 or more for a fancy schmantzy wa handle. And a lot of them seem happy to pay extra for them to be installed. Charging somebody $200 for that seems like taking candy from a baby to me, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post

Buying a bunch of knives to "upcycle" means sinking perhaps thousands of dollars into inventory. Okay if you have the cash to invest and not need to make a profit right away, but not so good otherwise. You'd be doing something similar to Chris Weidmark, don't know if you know him, google him and etsy japanese knives (he also has a website). As far as I can tell, he buys from the blades from Japanese bladesmiths and then sells them with his custom handles.
    I hadn't heard of Chris before now. I'll check him out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    Why not do the custom handle thing? It seems people are willing to pay $100-$200 or more for a fancy schmantzy wa handle. And a lot of them seem happy to pay extra for them to be installed. Charging somebody $200 for that seems like taking candy from a baby to me, just my opinion.

I've been doing this for about a year or so.

Chris does good work and is a stand up chef and dealer I bought a takamura from him a while back... Dave has the advantage of adding blade modifications and improving minor flaws in the blade, better tires vs better tires, lightened frame and a new paint job. As mentioned before a pre buy with members voting for wha blade is chosen is your best bet and then reinvest capital in what members were also interested in or things you can get cheap from vendors, smiths or bst

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier
    Without butter, without eggs, there is no reason to come to France. -Paul Bocuse