Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: Your Help (Input) Needed

  1. #41
    Senior Member Nomsdotcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    284
    It does seem like you could come into a deal with a smith in Japan to send you forged steel sans handles. Then you could do finished grinds and fancy yo/wa fit ups. It'd be more of a collab rather than buying unfortunately finished knives and going through the trouble of rehandles ect.
    Just my thoughts.
    I'd be super down for a Wat/Martell collaboration knife...


  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southern NSW Australia
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsdotcom View Post
    I'd be super down for a Wat/Martell collaboration knife...
    Wow, that is an interesting idea.

    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,785
    That's not a bad idea, although I'd probably go for a lower profile factory esque knife, like an apprentice of Ikeda or shiraki, if your spending over 80-100 bucks at that point you'd be better off getting one of the mentioned knives, doing some minor tweaking and running with it. Basically your end goal should be 3-$400 max, basically entry level custom pricing but with better then average handles and sexy looking blades.
    La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier
    Without butter, without eggs, there is no reason to come to France. -Paul Bocuse

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Alps, Austria, Europe
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I like this idea a lot, and it's what I always gravitate towards when I consider these projects, but there's always a downside - perceived value. Seems most people won't be willing to pay say $300+ for a $100 knife. Some will though, it's a bit of a gamble.
    Yeah, but wasn't that the case with Hiromoto AS Full Spa Treatments too?

    I like the idea of having a good knife, not fancy, not exotic, but a good steel with good heat treatment, pimped by you.

    Watanabe? I like his knives as they are. But I like the idea of a young talented smith, the son of someone, or so...

  5. #45
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    13,120
    Quote Originally Posted by parbaked View Post
    I don't understand why you'd want to buy the new knives to upgrade.
    i thought you had cash flow problems.
    You will just end up having to discount the upgraded knives to sell them - same as you do with the new knives you make.
    Also there is no reason for you to purchase the new knives unless you get a significant discount (wholesale) compared to your customer.
    Otherwise you'd have to mark up the cost of the new knife to get a fair return on your investment - so the end product is more expensive.
    Passing along the cost of the new knife with no mark up is not good business.

    i suggest you instead just promote your pimping/refurbishing and let your customers provide the knives.
    They can send you their knives or buy a new one and have it shipped to you. This way you are not out cash up front!
    And you know you have the customer for the work you're doing.

    I think promoting your upgrading and refurbishing services is good business.
    One key to grow this business is to be transparent on the pricing and provide reliable turnaround times.

    1. Put a price list on your website with price ranges for etching, polishing, re-handling, pimping etc.
    2. Provide a reasonable turnaround time and don't charge until the work is done and ready to ship.

    Very good advice - thank you!

  6. #46
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    13,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsdotcom View Post
    It does seem like you could come into a deal with a smith in Japan to send you forged steel sans handles. Then you could do finished grinds and fancy yo/wa fit ups. It'd be more of a collab rather than buying unfortunately finished knives and going through the trouble of rehandles ect.
    Just my thoughts.
    I'd be super down for a Wat/Martell collaboration knife...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Wow, that is an interesting idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    That's not a bad idea, although I'd probably go for a lower profile factory esque knife, like an apprentice of Ikeda or shiraki, if your spending over 80-100 bucks at that point you'd be better off getting one of the mentioned knives, doing some minor tweaking and running with it. Basically your end goal should be 3-$400 max, basically entry level custom pricing but with better then average handles and sexy looking blades.

    More good ideas. So much to consider!

  7. #47
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    13,120
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    Yeah, but wasn't that the case with Hiromoto AS Full Spa Treatments too?

    I like the idea of having a good knife, not fancy, not exotic, but a good steel with good heat treatment, pimped by you.

    Watanabe? I like his knives as they are. But I like the idea of a young talented smith, the son of someone, or so...

    The Hiromotos were never much of a gamble since I did group buys for 75% of them and following that there was a decent amount of interest for any that I bought. The price never made much sense yet people always bought them.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The Hiromotos were never much of a gamble since I did group buys for 75% of them and following that there was a decent amount of interest for any that I bought. The price never made much sense yet people always bought them.
    Your a custom maker... Hype is life
    La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur. -August Escoffier
    Without butter, without eggs, there is no reason to come to France. -Paul Bocuse

  9. #49
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    13,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Your a custom maker... Hype is life

    Unfortunately that's true.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    dave every single knife ive ever bought ive always modified to how i want it. mostly thinning, but if too thin behind the edge i would intentionally thicken and add convexity back, or in a lot of instances i would adjust the profile to a more KS-like shape. so pretty much any popular knife would be a good candidate for modify and resell. takeda would be a prime example.

    i bet if you bought like 20 fujiwara nashiji direct @ a bulk discount rate, regrind, put your fit & finish on it with a spa treatment + rehandle you'd make a killing. call it a hitech, f*ck this midtech crap.
    Modified TFs would be a good idea - good thinking Panda! They're overpriced everywhere, so if you modify them to make them better you'll be able to get a good price for them, IMO.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •