Blu Skillet (bi-annual) sale is this Thursday 5/17

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who are looking for (IMO) an exceptional piece of functional iron art ... I just got my email (bi-annual sale) and I really love the one piece I own ... figured I'd mention it as they never last long (as in a couple of minutes for all the pieces is typical / refreshing is your friend).

https://bluskilletironware.com/

I'm going to give it a try although $400 for a pan is hard to swallow, i've always wanted one

Boom - I think the Lotto is another way of getting the "option" to buy ... they do the lotto once a month for very limited number of pieces. The bi-annual sale is 1st come 1st serve (on-line). At least that is the way I understand it.

To Anton's point - they ain't cheap but I do love the one I have ... not sure if I could ever justify more ...

Wow, i love nice unusual things but have never come across these.

Whats the deal ? why are they 4 times more costly that a De Buyer mineral pan ? im not troiling just trying to understand what is the attraction of these

Wow, i love nice unusual things but have never come across these.

Whats the deal ? why are they 4 times more costly that a De Buyer mineral pan ? im not troiling just trying to understand what is the attraction of these

They are hand made and look kinda cool. I think that's it.

A couple of years ago they displayed at a local blacksmithing and forging show. I really like them but that price made me drag my feet. By the time I decided to go for it they were in the current backorder situation. Probably just as well. Wish I could have tried one.

Here. Plus the day my chimichanga explodes and leaks; burning cheese and beans into it. That would sting :)

+1 & +1
They are hand made and look kinda cool. I think that's it.

2JLxy00.jpg

It also (IMO) takes a beating and you know the rest ... sorry I am travelling at the moment so can't post current pic's but here is the seasoned view ...

xEwQt2u.jpg

Typical of this sort of item it just speaks to you and you are willing to pay to have it ... plus my lovely Bride hadn't gotten me a B-day gift so I was gracious enough to "offer it up" as 'something I would like' and she was stoked (I had already bought it ...) so, as they say, wifie = happy means me = way happy ....

:D

TjA

+1 & +1

2JLxy00.jpg

It also (IMO) takes a beating and you know the rest ... sorry I am travelling at the moment so can't post current pic's but here is the seasoned view ...

xEwQt2u.jpg

Typical of this sort of item it just speaks to you and you are willing to pay to have it ... plus my lovely Bride hadn't gotten me a B-day gift so I was gracious enough to "offer it up" as 'something I would like' and she was stoked (I had already bought it ...) so, as they say, wifie = happy means me = way happy ....

:D

TjA

That is nice. What’s the diameter? That would be a great way to bring a paella to the table.

Their largest (at 13") and I would have bought a bigger one if they offered it .... paella ... served it many times in this vessel ... so yes it is a great pan for that. FWIW - Exceptional F&F but it should be at this price point (but they do follow through even with expectations).

These look pretty cool. I might have to save up for next year.

I live in the same neighborhood as their shop, been to visit a couple times back when they were selling at the local farmers market. Very nice people, incredibly creative as well. I started with a small gratin pan solely for eggs and it's never let me down once. The French skillet has a very nice profile and flips food very easily (from a home cooks perspective). Two thumbs up.

They look awesome the price is a bit too crazy for me to justify buying one of these tho.

I have one I received as a gift. They do look very nice. I use mine to roast baby potatoes in oil almost exclusively. For the $$ I assure you there is nothing magical about the steel. The $$ is paying partly for the handmade construction, the looks, and good dollop of exclusivity.

It's true that it's an investment, but it's no more expensive than a good knife. Basically, it's an investment in good cookware. Knives are one part of the process, the pans are another. The way I justified it was by NOT buying myself another knife, and choosing this instead (since I already have more than enough knives, if I'm honest with myself). But yeah, not cheap.

damn, I've been eyeing these for a couple years now, but always miss the sale. Not sure how much of a performance boost they are over a 80$ carbon steel tho

For the money, I'm partial to Darto. The Blu Skillet stuff is pretty though.

The Blu Skillet is unapologetically badass. No need to justify it.

I want one, but I certainly don’t NEEEED one. :)

I got a set of these for less than the price of a single Blu Skillet.

The single-piece rivetless construction hits all my buttons. They don't look like "off the rack" pans, but they also don't look like old world heirlooms. Darto is redesigning everything and won't be shipping the new models until toward the end of the year though. Their biggest and best pans are out of stock, but the No. 34 paella is available. It was my most recent addition, and I use it way more than I thought I would.

OK, I'm seriously impressed by their design. I'm especially impressed by the slight concavity to the bottom. How has the worked in practice?
That concave bottom is part of the new design that will be available in October 'ish. The last pans are more rounded at the sides and thus a smaller cooking area. Mine have a very slight wobble but it’s not bad enough to prevent use on induction, I’m picking one of the new 27's though

Back