Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My visit to JKI

My visit to JKI

We had a trip planned to Disneyland with our grandkids so we decided to take a slight detour and visit JB and the gang.

We’d only been there for a few minutes when a lady brought in a knife for resharpening. JB used the horizontal water wheel to establish the bevel and then refined it on the water stones. It was fun watching the master work.

The store had lots of knives and stones. I was very impressed with the amount of time that was spent with each customer helping and educating them. There were people working, people hanging out, customers coming in, it was a busy place.

Our time was short because of heavy traffic getting there and trying to leave before rush hour traffic. Didn’t even have time to talk about stones and only got to talk about some of the knives. I really liked the gengetsu semi-stainless with burnt chestnut handles.

There was lots of things to see and talk about that we didn’t get to, maybe next time.

Definitely worth the visit. Thanks JB and gang.

Hoss

Very cool for you to share your visit Hoss! I definitely recommend stopping by and seeing Jon and the gang to anyone in the area with a little time to kill. Your pocket might be a little lighter when you leave but you will enjoy whatever you buy.

It is great that you got to visit. Jon is truly First Class. And I am sure he was happy to be visited by you.

yeah... it was a lot of fun... just wish we had more time, but LA traffic really sucks sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    I really liked the gengetsu semi-stainless with burnt chestnut handles.
    Wow, I just bought such a knife on BST and now I am even more curious!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    yeah... it was a lot of fun... just wish we had more time, but LA traffic really sucks sometimes
    Wait, I thought LA traffic always sucked. Kinda like DC traffic, just worse.

does this mean we're going to see next jon visit DT shop and post a video of him trying to make his own knife???

How bout a gesshin line of dt knives! Wink wink 😉

Jon always been first class all the way . Its a shame you didn't discuss stones with Jon as i believe Jon has some of the better stones out there and he is very practical and no nonsense in his approach.

lol... Devin and I talk on the phone from time to time... he doesn't have to come all the way out here to talk to me, but it was nice to finally meet in person for sure