Japanese Knives My visit to JKI

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinT

Reaction score
We had a trip planned to Disneyland with our grandkids so we decided to take a slight detour and visit JB and the gang.

We’d only been there for a few minutes when a lady brought in a knife for resharpening. JB used the horizontal water wheel to establish the bevel and then refined it on the water stones. It was fun watching the master work.

The store had lots of knives and stones. I was very impressed with the amount of time that was spent with each customer helping and educating them. There were people working, people hanging out, customers coming in, it was a busy place.

Our time was short because of heavy traffic getting there and trying to leave before rush hour traffic. Didn’t even have time to talk about stones and only got to talk about some of the knives. I really liked the gengetsu semi-stainless with burnt chestnut handles.

There was lots of things to see and talk about that we didn’t get to, maybe next time.

Definitely worth the visit. Thanks JB and gang.

Hoss

Very cool for you to share your visit Hoss! I definitely recommend stopping by and seeing Jon and the gang to anyone in the area with a little time to kill. Your pocket might be a little lighter when you leave but you will enjoy whatever you buy.

yeah... it was a lot of fun... just wish we had more time, but LA traffic really sucks sometimes

How bout a gesshin line of dt knives! Wink wink 😉

Jon always been first class all the way . Its a shame you didn't discuss stones with Jon as i believe Jon has some of the better stones out there and he is very practical and no nonsense in his approach.

lol... Devin and I talk on the phone from time to time... he doesn't have to come all the way out here to talk to me, but it was nice to finally meet in person for sure

Do you have regular hours that you are at the store? I guess you have staff there when you are in Japan etc.

Do you have regular hours that you are at the store? I guess you have staff there when you are in Japan etc.

if we're open, i'm here, except when i'm in Japan. Usually, if i'm not here, Josh and Sumiko will be here (i.e. during japan, etc). But other than that, i pretty much live here at work. 6 days a week (and sometimes on my day off too). My only day off is thursday, and the store is closed on thursdays.

Figured here was a better place than having a new "Great JKI Visit" thread since those would likely fill up Mr. Broida's sub-forum pretty quickly but I can't resist saying how over the top helpful and talented all the folks are at JKI (stopped in on Monday). Was able to pop in with a couple of my screw ups which Jon fixed in 5 min's while I walked back and forth like an expectant father only to see the beauties back to brand baby spanking new condition! Just watching his attention to detail/work with a re-handle (amazing to watch BTW) and some 'quickie' touch ups on a few other knives I had brought up to show him (while I waited) ... All without ever trying to "sell" me anything - although I had kinda hoped he would since that place is a candy store in my eyes ...

I think JKI/Jon should get the KKF "Best of Show" award year after year after year for all he does be it vid's, info, help, etc. etc. etc. and damn can he put a bloody fantastic edge on a blade in a stupidly short amount of time. Looking forward to the KKF award show & after party at the store!

Thx again Jon - just wished I could stop by more often!!

Tom

Another (while in El Segundo) trip to JKI and, as always, I took away a lot more than I left - which includes knowledge, advice and general sharpening enthusiasm ... plus I got to pick up a nice little JKI "travel blade" (Gesshin Stainless 210) which is just perfect for what I need ...

If you haven't been ... go ... if you have been then go back & back & back ... repeat as much as possible ...

Broken record (for those young enough to understand the reference)? Maybe but all I can say is ... Truth! ....

Thanks Mr. Broida and Co!

Travels all the way from Melbourne, Australia... decides last 50km seem a little difficult.

While I definitely agree with the sentiment Badger, timing and day of the week can HUGELY impact how long that extra distance takes out of (what I assume is) a set vacation timeline. The good thing is there are many routes between...the bad thing is just how red each is when you are trying to travel them. It is always a game getting in and out of LA to avoid the worst of the red on the traffic maps.

But yes, over all I say bite the bullet regardless and visit Jon and gang!

I would have to be paid an insane amount to live in LA, for the traffic alone...housing pretty much sucks in all of So Cal (went SD, OC, currently SD).

Another trip to up to LA (work related) and another "lovely" SoCal driving experience but then I arrived at JKI ... I had survived ... worth it?

Absolutely worth the trip!!! Thx Mr Broida and Crew for always under selling and over producing ...

Will be back ... ohh that Gagekiyo 210 mm Petty --- very pretty ... next time for sure ...

if we're open, i'm here, except when i'm in Japan. Usually, if i'm not here, Josh and Sumiko will be here (i.e. during japan, etc). But other than that, i pretty much live here at work. 6 days a week (and sometimes on my day off too). My only day off is thursday, and the store is closed on thursdays.
Wish I can visit you in the future!

Thx Jon - Always awesome ... one of these days will make some REAL time to hang out ... I can clean floors/bathrooms/whatever ...

TjA

PS Maybe next time I will bring 'real' food ... I considered today since I had been on a cooking bonanza of Denver ribs (Vietnamese), Korean BBQ short ribs, Chinese style chicken wings ... I just get silly that folks won't want "left overs" ... I prefer to cook together ... just my style ...

Might have to make the trip with you, Tom. Have a cousin that lives in the rural LA area & I would love to meet the "Guru" himself. Pretty much the sole person responsible for my PLUNGE into the rabbit hole.

Back