Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Burn Remedies?

I have some silver sulfadiazine cream works great for the long run
    i think you can buy it on line now .

A couple of days ago my six-year-old got burned while making scrambled eggs. She makes excellent scrambled eggs. Anyhow, she accidentally touched the burner after taking the pan off the heat. Ouch.

What helped her? Well, anything that made her feel better by taking away some of the pain and something that let her think all was going to get better. I am not saying she is the same as a pro cook, but at the end of the day I think we adults do the same thing. We apply the remedy that we think works and takes away some of that pain.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I have always been told putting oils or creams on burns traps the heat in and makes it worse. I have always just run them under cool water. I have a cook whom swears by copious amounts of iodine, you can always tell when he gets a burn because his arms and hands are blue.

ive used silvadine (sp?) on very bad burns but if it doesn't require a trip to the hospital i usually just deal with it.

chicks dig scars

no hard feelings, i hope, SpikeC. i get riled up on some topics and become a bit too confrontational. it's a bleed over defense mechanism from work: this week has been full of budget meetings, so i've been kind of permanently in that mode. i apologize for being an ass.

The most important thing to do for first-degree and small second-degree burns is to immediately cool the injured area with cool water. But third-degree burns are another matter.

Go to the source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fir...-burns/FA00022
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

What, nobody uses a nice scoop of farm butter anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    no hard feelings, i hope, SpikeC. i get riled up on some topics and become a bit too confrontational. it's a bleed over defense mechanism from work: this week has been full of budget meetings, so i've been kind of permanently in that mode. i apologize for being an ass.
    No worries. I recently had this discussion with my brother in law, a retired 77 year old alcoholic psychiatrist. He automatically takes the opposite of whatever anyone else says and engenders emotional responses. Sometimes these responses pop up later.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sorry to be late to this thread. I am a medical doctor, I will give you the straight scoop as simply as possible. Burns are classified as follows:}

1st degree - redness, no blistering
    2nd degree - blistering of skin
    3rd degree - damage to underlying muscle and tissue

Most burns of 1st and 2nd degree can be treated out of hospital, 3rd degree you go to a burn unit. 1/2nd degree burns, if possible apply ice as soon as possible. This will stop the burn damage from worsening and reduce inflammation. In some cases it can minimize or avoid blistering.

Don't worry too much about OTC creams and stuff, they won't make much difference. Aloe (sap of the actual cactus plant) can help somewhat for minor 1st degree burns, don't know how much of it if any is in those creams they sell.

Silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene) is for burns that blister and peel. Once the skin is broken it is vulnerable to infection, the Silvadene has antibacterial properties to prevent infection. Usually the area is covered with gauze to facilitate cleaning and hygiene. 1st degree burns you can take care of at home, 2nd degree burns it's just easier to go to your Dr's office and have the staff there clean and dress it. Also, if the injury occurred at work, it will help to have medical records documenting the injury for purposes of Workman's Compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    No worries. I recently had this discussion with my brother in law, a retired 77 year old alcoholic psychiatrist. He automatically takes the opposite of whatever anyone else says and engenders emotional responses. Sometimes these responses pop up later.
    retired 77 year old alcoholic psychiatrist sounds like somebody with some neat stories.