Quantcast
Burn Remedies?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burn Remedies?

Burn Remedies?

Burnt myself......again just yesterday

A thought occurred to me...where better to ask than at a place like this? - you guys must be the world's foremost authority on burn remedies!

So let's hear them -

Best I've come up with to date ...and it's pretty amazing....... is Lavender Oil

Anything better?

keeping the wound dry and covered is my best suggestion.

Kind of depends on the severity of the burn. If it is a small one then odds are I'll just tough it out or maybe slap a band-aid on it. For ones that are worse then sometimes neosporin that has pain relief works ok.

If you can get it on right after the burn, aloe vera gel is almost miraculous. It works even on fairly serious burns. I keep some handy all the time. Keep applying it every few minutes until the pain eases up. Won't do you much good now but keep it mind for the next time. You can find it in any drug store and almost any supermarket.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

all of my doctor friends (i work at a university medical research department, so that's a bunch) would shriek at the idea of putting a gel on a bad burn. whatever works though!

DMSO is nothing short of miraculous for burns and bruises. You can find it in roll on tubes at tack shops that sell horse related stuff. It will prevent blisters from forming.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    It will prevent blisters from forming.
    that would really depend.

No it doesn't.If you wait long enough, a blister will form, but it will not get sore and the fluid will reabsorb. I have seen boiling water poured on a hand, where the DMSO was applied there was not blister, where it was not applied there was blister followed by scarring.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    No it doesn't.If you wait long enough, a blister will form, but it will not get sore and the fluid will reabsorb. I have seen boiling water poured on a hand, where the DMSO was applied there was not blister, where it was not applied there was blister followed by scarring.
    that's not how it works. blister formation is a function of temperature, duration, and protein destruction in your skin. the plural of anecdote isn't data. this stuff is very well understood.

Tea Tree Oil... Nothing like it, but it stinks. Discussion here

+ Reply to Thread