Burn Remedies?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinia123

Reaction score
Burnt myself......again :( just yesterday

A thought occurred to me...where better to ask than at a place like this? - you guys must be the world's foremost authority on burn remedies!

So let's hear them -

Best I've come up with to date ...and it's pretty amazing....... is Lavender Oil

Anything better?

keeping the wound dry and covered is my best suggestion.

Kind of depends on the severity of the burn. If it is a small one then odds are I'll just tough it out or maybe slap a band-aid on it. For ones that are worse then sometimes neosporin that has pain relief works ok.

If you can get it on right after the burn, aloe vera gel is almost miraculous. It works even on fairly serious burns. I keep some handy all the time. Keep applying it every few minutes until the pain eases up. Won't do you much good now but keep it mind for the next time. You can find it in any drug store and almost any supermarket.

all of my doctor friends (i work at a university medical research department, so that's a bunch) would shriek at the idea of putting a gel on a bad burn. :) whatever works though!

DMSO is nothing short of miraculous for burns and bruises. You can find it in roll on tubes at tack shops that sell horse related stuff. It will prevent blisters from forming.

No it doesn't.If you wait long enough, a blister will form, but it will not get sore and the fluid will reabsorb. I have seen boiling water poured on a hand, where the DMSO was applied there was not blister, where it was not applied there was blister followed by scarring.

No it doesn't.If you wait long enough, a blister will form, but it will not get sore and the fluid will reabsorb. I have seen boiling water poured on a hand, where the DMSO was applied there was not blister, where it was not applied there was blister followed by scarring.

that's not how it works. blister formation is a function of temperature, duration, and protein destruction in your skin. the plural of anecdote isn't data. this stuff is very well understood.

Regardless of how it is supposed to work, I have experience that backs up my statements. Who you gonna believe, the book or your lying eyes?

Regardless of how it is supposed to work, I have experience that backs up my statements. Who you gonna believe, the book or your lying eyes?

neither. scientific evidence. there is a reason burn wards treat burns the way they do. that way is keeping burns dry as much as possible, without putting crap on them. in fact, if you put that crap on them before you go to the burn ward, they are just going to scrub it out of you. no thanks.

boiling water ain't that hot, btw, and scalds very often do not cause blisters. the fact that no blisters were observed doesn't mean squat. less than squat. anti-squat, even.

DMSO is not recognized by the US drug authorities because there is no money to be made from it as it is in the public domain. Veterinarians make use of it because it works, human doctors don't use it because the drug companies can't patent it. It is another example of the monolithic bureaucracies doing what they do because they always have done it that way.
Dr. Linus Pauling did some work on this until his funding was eliminated. There are many things that doctors do not understand so they deny it exists.

lol. that's all i needed. because keeping burns dry is SOOOOO profitable compared to slathering them with something worthless. good luck with Pauling's late career crazy ********. as somebody who has had dogs that have gotten burned, no, vets don't make use of it: they bandage burns to keep them dry.

You can enjoy the pain and scarring when you get burned, I will continue to use the method that has spared me the discomfort and blistering. I know this works because I have personal experience.

Easy guys. Don't get all burned up over this....

You can enjoy the pain and scarring when you get burned, I will continue to use the method that has spared me the discomfort and blistering. I know this works because I have personal experience.

Personal experience is meaningless for things like determining whether a medication works. The studies are conclusive. The stuff is known to cause brain degeneration in mammals, though.

I'm done, use what you want, just don't cost me money down the road.

when i get burned i just leave it. as long as he skin isnt broken then no need for anything. some cool water right after the burn and thats it. that is if i'm not too busy with work.

I blame my brain degenration on all the beer that drink in order to make the burns stop hurting.

Guys no need to fight about personal opinions or views... that's what the forum that shall not be named is for. =P

I always keep Burn Gel in my pocket and it has tea tree oil in
works to keep it cool enough to work the line .

I always keep Burn Gel in my pocket and it has tea tree oil in
works to keep it cool enough to work the line .

All that really does is add a cooling sensation.

Silvadine sulfate however is a cream often used on severe burns ( and subsequently skin graft donor sites ) which helps deter infection and speeds the development of new tissue growth and helps reduce scarring.

We have a huge jug of this stuff at work. Don't ask me how I got a giant tub of doctor prescribed only cream without a prescription either.

OK I stole it. While getting treated 3 years ago for a severe burn during a mad house shift on saute (that I stuck it out for 3 hours till the end of the night before going to the emergency room) when they left the room for a second I nabbed the jug cause I knew we would need that ****. I even have a little jar at home as well. Has come in very handy many times since then.

I have some silver sulfadiazine cream works great for the long run
i think you can buy it on line now .

A couple of days ago my six-year-old got burned while making scrambled eggs. She makes excellent scrambled eggs. Anyhow, she accidentally touched the burner after taking the pan off the heat. Ouch.

What helped her? Well, anything that made her feel better by taking away some of the pain and something that let her think all was going to get better. I am not saying she is the same as a pro cook, but at the end of the day I think we adults do the same thing. We apply the remedy that we think works and takes away some of that pain.

k.

I have always been told putting oils or creams on burns traps the heat in and makes it worse. I have always just run them under cool water. I have a cook whom swears by copious amounts of iodine, you can always tell when he gets a burn because his arms and hands are blue.

ive used silvadine (sp?) on very bad burns but if it doesn't require a trip to the hospital i usually just deal with it.

chicks dig scars :D

no hard feelings, i hope, SpikeC. i get riled up on some topics and become a bit too confrontational. it's a bleed over defense mechanism from work: this week has been full of budget meetings, so i've been kind of permanently in that mode. i apologize for being an ass.

What, nobody uses a nice scoop of farm butter anymore?

;)

no hard feelings, i hope, SpikeC. i get riled up on some topics and become a bit too confrontational. it's a bleed over defense mechanism from work: this week has been full of budget meetings, so i've been kind of permanently in that mode. i apologize for being an ass.

No worries. I recently had this discussion with my brother in law, a retired 77 year old alcoholic psychiatrist. He automatically takes the opposite of whatever anyone else says and engenders emotional responses. Sometimes these responses pop up later.

Sorry to be late to this thread. I am a medical doctor, I will give you the straight scoop as simply as possible. Burns are classified as follows:}

1st degree - redness, no blistering
2nd degree - blistering of skin
3rd degree - damage to underlying muscle and tissue

Most burns of 1st and 2nd degree can be treated out of hospital, 3rd degree you go to a burn unit. 1/2nd degree burns, if possible apply ice as soon as possible. This will stop the burn damage from worsening and reduce inflammation. In some cases it can minimize or avoid blistering.

Don't worry too much about OTC creams and stuff, they won't make much difference. Aloe (sap of the actual cactus plant) can help somewhat for minor 1st degree burns, don't know how much of it if any is in those creams they sell.

Silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene) is for burns that blister and peel. Once the skin is broken it is vulnerable to infection, the Silvadene has antibacterial properties to prevent infection. Usually the area is covered with gauze to facilitate cleaning and hygiene. 1st degree burns you can take care of at home, 2nd degree burns it's just easier to go to your Dr's office and have the staff there clean and dress it. Also, if the injury occurred at work, it will help to have medical records documenting the injury for purposes of Workman's Compensation.

No worries. I recently had this discussion with my brother in law, a retired 77 year old alcoholic psychiatrist. He automatically takes the opposite of whatever anyone else says and engenders emotional responses. Sometimes these responses pop up later.

retired 77 year old alcoholic psychiatrist sounds like somebody with some neat stories.

Back