Looking for a 180 carbon western handled petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen any of those but I bet they are at least on par with your FKH knives. I might have to pick up one myself. Sorry, that is not too helpful. :p

I'd say that is a fair possibility. All of the mono yo non laser lines I have tried have been noticeably asymmetrical.

From your list, I get the sense you're shooting for sub-$100?

The knife from Bernal you linked is sold out...
I'd +1 Panda's rec for a ginga 180. I have that exact knife and use it a lot. Great multi-purpose. Not sub-$100 though.

Or, you could bump up to a 210mm gyuto and watch the recommendations cascade in! :biggrin:

Never seen any of those but I bet they are at least on par with your FKH knives. I might have to pick up one myself. Sorry, that is not too helpful. :p

Ya, really like my FKH's they are my everyday knives, get used a lot, have wanted a 180 petty tho, these knives appear to be made from SK steel same as the FKH's.

From your list, I get the sense you're shooting for sub-$100?

The knife from Bernal you linked is sold out...
I'd +1 Panda's rec for a ginga 180. I have that exact knife and use it a lot. Great multi-purpose. Not sub-$100 though.

Or, you could bump up to a 210mm gyuto and watch the recommendations cascade in! :biggrin:

What do you use the 180 Ginga for? Does it have much flex? Have also had my eye on the KS petty (170 actual length) but I wonder if it has too much flex.

All that said, I do like the idea of a western handle for raw chicken, seems more sanitary to me, easier to clean.

What do you use the 180 Ginga for?
Slicing mostly. Keep in mind that if you want to use it over the board you'll have to modify your grip since it's short.

Does it have much flex?
Nope. A bit but not a lot.

Have also had my eye on the KS petty (170 actual length) but I wonder if it has too much flex.
Probably'd be a fun knife to use! Spendy though... I can see plunkin $ for a 240 KS, but that size is also the stuff that made the KS legend. I wonder if anything would be lost in translation for a petty?

Slicing mostly. Keep in mind that if you want to use it over the board you'll have to modify your grip since it's short.

Ya, thanks, I use a 150 petty for this now.

Nope. A bit but not a lot.

Thanks

Probably'd be a fun knife to use! Spendy though... I can see plunkin $ for a 240 KS, but that size is also the stuff that made the KS legend. I wonder if anything would be lost in translation for a petty?

I wonder to, I do have a 220 KS gyuto that i like and use it more than the 250.

What about a 210 suji instead of a 180 petty? Might have some more options...

I’ve used 180mm Sakai lasers before and definitely didn’t like them for slicing. Cleaning chicken and fish sure...but as a slicer they’re just not long enough for me.

I didn't love my 180 Ginga petty. It was a good knife but I like a very stiff knife for cleaning birds, trimming skin etc. 180 is nice for slicing/portioning pork tenderloin and venison. Honestly I just use a 180 gyuto these days for "soft" butchery and breaking down birds.

for slicing longer the better, get a 240 suji if you can. the only time i prefer laser is for slicing tasks. love my kono 270 which is pretty much identical to a ginga.
but if you are dead set on a stiff 180 petty then just get a mazaki, or me personally i would email koki and ask for a mizuno in that length.

I didn't love my 180 Ginga petty. It was a good knife but I like a very stiff knife for cleaning birds, trimming skin etc. 180 is nice for slicing/portioning pork tenderloin and venison. Honestly I just use a 180 gyuto these days for "soft" butchery and breaking down birds.

Exactly what I've been thinking. I use my 180 gyuto to but a petty seems like it would work even better.

for slicing longer the better, get a 240 suji if you can. the only time i prefer laser is for slicing tasks. love my kono 270 which is pretty much identical to a ginga.
but if you are dead set on a stiff 180 petty then just get a mazaki, or me personally i would email koki and ask for a mizuno in that length.

Thanks, yes, I have an FKH 240 suji, works well for me but there are times when I would like a shorter one. Ive bern shying away from iron clad knives, had one, a used one with a mature patina but it still imparted a taste to food that I didn't like.

What do unlike to slice with your laser suji? I've also been looking at the KS suji, looks pretty laserish.

What do you want the heel height to be?

Back