Need explanation with what happened here, and what to do with it

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokrik

Reaction score
Hey, hopefully it's the right sub-forum to post this since this I think also belongs to maintenance

Got lucky enough to buy a Mizuno Tanrenjo Akidata when I visited Osaka last month
this is a white steel gyuto 270cm

It was very shiny when I bought them but after 3 times use only it became like this, first time was only chopping some garlic

I wash and dry everytime after use

so what happened here? and what to do with this?

FXOtXT8.jpg

ACkNWNU.jpg

The steel isn't stainless so it reacts with whatever it comes in contact with. acidic things even more. What yo got there is some patina, the outer layer of the knife is oxidizing changing colour.

It’s totally normal for a carbon knife, and an unavoidable result of exposing the blade to moisture, together with other compounds that exist naturally in food.

It will build naturally as you use the knife more. The only way to remove it completely is to repolish.

Have a look at this thread for some context, and above all, enjoy your knife!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...color-is-BLUE!-A-patina-thread?highlight=Blue

Cheers

J :)

Ah thank you, am new to this fancy material knife

if it's patina, I don't mind since it adds character to the knife (since I came from leather patina shoes world)

thx for the explanation :)

" I came from leather patina shoes world)".....I like that. I have a nice pair of leather hunting boots that I have had for about 20 years.I guess you could say they have a patina on them as well.

Cut some protein with that knife and watch a beautiful blue patina form. Onions,not so much as I find they give a rather ugly brown patina. I'd cut hot chicken or hot beef first to get the blue before the onion patina.

That's interesting, I usually use onions first to get a bit of light brown and feel that aids in getting the good blues and purples...

Nice knife, curious why you picked a honyaki?

That's interesting, I usually use onions first to get a bit of light brown and feel that aids in getting the good blues and purples...

I see we differ a little bit.I might just have to do a little experimenting again.Maybe it was just that one knife that made me change my method to doing the protein first before the onion,although my CCK sure turned an ugly,very ugly,like rust color when I attacked an onion with it.

Ah thank you, am new to this fancy material knife

if it's patina, I don't mind since it adds character to the knife (since I came from leather patina shoes world)

thx for the explanation :)
Nice what kind of leather?! I was in Italy last year for my honeymoon and bought some Really Nice Benheart handmade leather shoes, haha probably the nicest thing I own besides my truck which isn’t really that mice it just cost more. I love the shoes though and the Italian leather smells incredible!

I see we differ a little bit.I might just have to do a little experimenting again.Maybe it was just that one knife that made me change my method to doing the protein first before the onion,although my CCK sure turned an ugly,very ugly,like rust color when I attacked an onion with it.

Yeah, that cck steel is rather special...I was really referring to decent carbon...cck is only knife I force a mustard patinaon from the start.

Yeah, that cck steel is rather special...I was really referring to decent carbon...cck is only knife I force a mustard patinaon from the start.

Funny you should mention mustard because yesterday,I took my CCK and did a mustard treatment on it and now it is a better ugly.

" I came from leather patina shoes world)".....I like that. I have a nice pair of leather hunting boots that I have had for about 20 years.I guess you could say they have a patina on them as well.

Cut some protein with that knife and watch a beautiful blue patina form. Onions,not so much as I find they give a rather ugly brown patina. I'd cut hot chicken or hot beef first to get the blue before the onion patina.

Gonna try to cut some protein next time, I don't cut my protein much since I have my trusty boning knife which I love cutting meat with

although it's kinda troublesome to only cut certain ingredients to keep/gain certain patina color haha :D

Nice what kind of leather?! I was in Italy last year for my honeymoon and bought some Really Nice Benheart handmade leather shoes, haha probably the nicest thing I own besides my truck which isn’t really that mice it just cost more. I love the shoes though and the Italian leather smells incredible!

I have some ranging from Venetian to Cordovan, been a while since I collect em unfortunately I only have two foot to put them on :(

although the joy for me is in caring them, not buying or wearing (weird I know)

I actually went all the way from where I am to buy the knife in Osaka (with a little holiday to go with it) and the knife maker was too happy and excited to know that
He offered me the knife since he said he only made 4 of them, three in 24cm length and sold and one in 27cm which he kept
little that I know 27cm fit my needs so well

though it really put a hole in my wallet :eyebrow: #yolo

"although the joy for me is in caring them, not buying or wearing (weird I know)"

Wait until you really get into this site. You will accept this as normal, nothing odd whatsoever. I would like to know how many times the question has been asked "why would a home cook need 20+ knives".

And sounds like you have a nice find on your hands!

Am wondering, after reading through the forum I saw a way to reset the patina. Which using flitz am right?

Problem is I can't find flitz here. Would this be good enough?

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/brilliant-metal-polish-14-fl-oz-MK88.html

Also, do we need to sand the knife before the polishing?

Where is here? Knowing your general location might help with finding an alternative product.

Simichrome is one, I have never used the one you linked.

No sanding needed if you are just removing patina. I only sand when I'm refinishing a knife.

Where is here? Knowing your general location might help with finding an alternative product.

Simichrome is one, I have never used the one you linked.

No sanding needed if you are just removing patina. I only sand when I'm refinishing a knife.
Indonesia, haha

It's challenging to find stuff here, and I might be one of the few people here who is starting to put interest in this stuff (or hobby?)

Am gonna buy and use it on my cheap knives first and see how it goes

Have you checked your local auto parts store, metal polish is often stocked at these places... along with wet/dry sandpaper if you ever want to get into that as well.

Have you checked your local auto parts store, metal polish is often stocked at these places... along with wet/dry sandpaper if you ever want to get into that as well.
Sandpaper is not a problem, there are lots of metal polisher but mostly for car rims etc.

This is due to where I live is already a small city in Indonesia which makes thing even harder

There's this cheap metal polisher everyone use but I don't trust that for my precious knives

Guess I'll find out with that polisher I linked above

No worries Brother, I’ll proxy for you ;)
Haha as much as I love that, sending liquid chemical is a big no to my country

Note: the love I get from an old bro is too much! so happy to see you around. And idk.. Since I joined this forum I bought myself a new knife already (a nakiri) #dejavu

Back