Need help with a new gyuto under $200usd

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seire

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Looking to add a good quality chef's knife to my arsenal, and thought I could get some good advice. I'm currently on a waiting list for the Masamoto KS 240 wa-gyuto, but that could come through a year from now.

In the mean time, I'm looking for something to hold me over and help me learn to sharpen, etc. without breaking the bank (absolute maximum $200usd). Also, if I can get something with Damascus steel that would be a HUGE plus!

Please see my answers for the "which knife" questionnaire:

Thanks so much in advance!!

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in: Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? Vegetables, poultry, meat, etc. (general cooking)

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Cuisinart knife set

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Finger point, pinch

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Yes - synthetic
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Not currently, but looking to learn

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if I can get something with Damascus steel that would be a HUGE plus!
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Not currently, but looking to learn

Assuming even that the KS happens IMHO,
it works well with or alongside a line knife or
workhorse type gyuto.

So i'd diversity into something that fits
that niche first.

Also, if I can get something with Damascus steel that would be a HUGE plus!

One of the things you'll learn is that a well sharpened knife typically
is full of scratches all over the cladding. Damascus is not ideal here
because its a PITA to deal with those scratches.

Are you GUARANTEED a KS from your waiting list or is it via balloting or first come first serve??

If you are guaranteed a KS, then I would suggest waiting for that to arrive, if not then drop the KS, there are many knives that can be had for $200 that are great knives, or bumping up your budget to the price of the KS and you can get an amazing knife right now.

Assuming even that the KS happens IMHO,
it works well with or alongside a line knife or
workhorse type gyuto.

So i'd diversity into something that fits
that niche first.

One of the things you'll learn is that a well sharpened knife typically
is full of scratches all over the cladding. Damascus is not ideal here
because its a PITA to deal with those scratches.

Precisely, I'm looking for a workhorse to hold me over that I can learn with. Not make or break on the Damascus, thought I'd throw it out there though to see if there's anything I fall in love with - overall, not a deal breaker.

Are you GUARANTEED a KS from your waiting list or is it via balloting or first come first serve??

If you are guaranteed a KS, then I would suggest waiting for that to arrive, if not then drop the KS, there are many knives that can be had for $200 that are great knives, or bumping up your budget to the price of the KS and you can get an amazing knife right now.

I've pre-ordered one, so I'm assuming first come first serve. Not too worried about it though, because if I find one elsewhere beforehand I can just purchase it and drop my order.

I'd feel more comfortable dropping under $200 right now for a workhorse Gyuto and waiting out the KS (considering that could take over 12 months for all anyone knows)

I'd consider Tanaka blue 2 Damascus from metalmaster for $145, if you can stretch the budget a couple bucks pick up a mid grit--maybe shapton 1k or 2k-- and arashiyama 6k, also available affordably from metal master. Best damascus knife and one of the best knives in general you'll find for the money if you're open to carbon. Mine gets real sharp with ease, cheap enough to not worry about learning sharpening on (can always refinish it later) and will provide a nice counterpoint even once the Ks comes along.

Or... order the nicely finished ebony handle Tanaka from knives and stones, shipping puts the knife alone just over budget but save up and buy the sharpening gear you'll need eventually to hit the free shipping threshold. You'll have your kns order within a week, metal master could take a month or more to deliver.

Or the Ginsan (stainless) version of that knife for about the same price from Knives and Stones.
Tanaka Ginsan Najishi is a fairly thin knife. The Najishi grind is also available with a B2 core.

Although I haven't used the B2 damascus, I understand that it has a thicker grind. Note that the cladding on it is not stainless.

I'd consider Tanaka blue 2 Damascus from metalmaster for $145, if you can stretch the budget a couple bucks pick up a mid grit--maybe shapton 1k or 2k-- and arashiyama 6k, also available affordably from metal master. Best damascus knife and one of the best knives in general you'll find for the money if you're open to carbon. Mine gets real sharp with ease, cheap enough to not worry about learning sharpening on (can always refinish it later) and will provide a nice counterpoint even once the Ks comes along.

Or... order the nicely finished ebony handle Tanaka from knives and stones, shipping puts the knife alone just over budget but save up and buy the sharpening gear you'll need eventually to hit the free shipping threshold. You'll have your kns order within a week, metal master could take a month or more to deliver.

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...uto-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/ This one?

With Saya comes close to $300 :bigeek:

Is your KS going to be carbon or stainless? How about a 210 or 270? That way your line up of knives don't over lap quite as much. 210s also tend to be cheaper (vs 240), it can be your learning/beater knife down the road without messing up your nice KS. Any extra money you save probably will afford you atleast one stone.

Hey everyone,

Looking to add a good quality chef's knife to my arsenal, and thought I could get some good advice. I'm currently on a waiting list for the Masamoto KS 240 wa-gyuto, but that could come through a year from now.

In the mean time, I'm looking for something to hold me over and help me learn to sharpen, etc. without breaking the bank (absolute maximum $200usd). Also, if I can get something with Damascus steel that would be a HUGE plus!

Please see my answers for the "which knife" questionnaire:

Thanks so much in advance!!

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in: Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? Vegetables, poultry, meat, etc. (general cooking)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Finger point, pinch

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Yes - synthetic

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes
I think moritaka in aogami super will fit the bill nicely (you may even have room in your budget for a custom handle).

Last edited by a moderator:

This!

Tanaka Ginsan Najishi is a fairly thin knife. The Najishi grind is also available with a B2 core.

Although I haven't used the B2 damascus, I understand that it has a thicker grind. Note that the cladding on it is not stainless.

It's not thicker unless you buy an older one...though I wish it were.

KS is overhyped knife with a sweet profile...imo the Tanaka is a much better cutter.

KS is going to be Carbon (Stainless models are actually in stock I believe currently @ Korin)

Given that this Gyuto will be my workhorse knife, I figured 240mm is the right size, or am I incorrect?

My Masamoto KS Yanagi is a 240mm and I think it's the perfect size which is why I figured a 240mm Gyuto would be similar.

Essentially my goal is to replace all of my kitchen knives, as I stated in the OP I have a cheap $20 Cuisinart set that does no good and the paint is starting to chip into my meal-prep (BAD!)

I'd honestly love a knife set, but from what I've read it's best to just keep accumulating knives that have specific purposes, hence my need for a chef's knife

Did you know there is one at a great price in the bsts right now? You may want to move quickly.

Did you know there is one at a great price in the bsts right now? You may want to move quickly.

I did actually - unless I find a near mint condition one in the BST I'd rather just wait. Also trying to get a white ferrule to somewhat match my Yanagi

LOL WUT

The one in the BST still has the plasticene on it...:rofl:

I was actually just thinking something similar. It barely has any patina. And the guy said he used it a couple of times to test cut. Im not sure you will find more mint than that and at a phenomenal price. I just sold one that I used a little more for more.

lol passing on a perfect knife because of ferrule color, people crack me up. ks is the wrong knife for newbies anyway get something else.

If you're buying something, shouldn't it be exactly to your specifications? To each their own...

I'd assume you wouldn't spend money on something if it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, unless you're a special case.

If you're buying something, shouldn't it be exactly to your specifications? To each their own...

I'd assume you wouldn't spend money on something if it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, unless you're a special case.

Some people had to wait years to purchase KS..... Non were available for few years till decent amount showed up beginning of this year. Now, looks like they are all gone and who knows when they will be back in stock.

...Well this side tracked a bit?

Anyway, the already mentioned Tanakas (ginsan nashiji, B2 nashiji and B2 dammy) are all terrific options. Great cutters, with superb heat treats and very lovely grinds. They're A LOT of knife for the price and out perform so many much more expensive options.

Another on budget great performing knife could be the JNS Kaeru. I haven't yet used one as they've just been released, but the initial thoughts from other forum members are very encouraging and it's a well known fact that Maxim sells only premium stuff. I will be getting one for sure.

It means no worries
For the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Tanaka!

Seriously though, excellent for the price as long as you are ok with continuous curve.

Back