Why Diamond Plates Can't be Used on Suitas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwtan12

Reaction score
I read that diamond plates shouldn't be used to raise slurry on a suita.

Instead of using a diamond plate, I usually use similar suitas or koma naguras raise slurry before I sharpen using suitas and kiitas.

Why diamond plates can't be used to raise slurry on suitas?

I seem to remember something along the lines of mud collecting in the little su or holes and causing some sort of issue. I don’t think it’s a biggy

Mud will always collect in the holes, even if you raise a slurry with a nagura, that's the defining characteristic of the holes in the surface of a suita or any other stone with holes in the surface. I have 2 suitas and I use an Atoma plate to raise a light slurry on them all the time. The big benefit of using a diamond plate is that it also roughens up the surface of the stone which makes it much faster.

Even if I don't raise slurry with a nagura or a diamond plate before sharpening, the su holes are going to be filled with mud raised by sharpening within seconds during sharpening.

So what are the benefits of suitas if the effect of the holes in suitas can be affected by mud filling them up?

If you've got a very clean suita without crunchy bulls**t voids, a diamond plate shouldn't cause any real harm. If you've got a tricky case of the crumblies, then using a mild or softer slurry source can prevent some breakdown around the edges which can release large stubborn gouging grit.

I seem to remember something along the lines of mud collecting in the little su or holes and causing some sort of issue. I don’t think it’s a biggy

My suitas are still fast stones even with slurry raised before sharpening.

Not sure this is as much of an issue for kitchen knives (outside of polishing) as it is for straight razor honing. Stray large particles from stones can definitely screw up a straight razor edge without any effort at all. Whether that is an issue on most kitchen knives is another issue. Would grit contamination from stray particles really effect gyuto cutting performance? Almost certainly not. Would it effect the aesthetics of a finely polished single bevel knife? Absolutely.

Not sure this is as much of an issue for kitchen knives (outside of polishing) as it is for straight razor honing. Stray large particles from stones can definitely screw up a straight razor edge without any effort at all. Whether that is an issue on most kitchen knives is another issue. Would grit contamination from stray particles really effect gyuto cutting performance? Almost certainly not. Would it effect the aesthetics of a finely polished single bevel knife? Absolutely.

I haven't faced this problem with straight razors yet. I hone my straight razors with mikawa nagura progression on a hard Nakayama and lastly lapping the Nakayama with another similar Nakayama.

Back