Quantcast
Advice on wusthof knife set
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on wusthof knife set

Advice on wusthof knife set

I became interested in kitchen knives recently and would like to purchase a relatively good knife/knife set. I saw on amazon that Wusthof Silverpoint II 10-Piece Knife Set with Block sometimes cost only 65$. I think it's really good price for wusthof. But as I'm currently in Germany and have no chance to see this silverpoint II, I would like to seek advice from you guys.

Price and name raise doubts about its origin...

These are cheap stamped knives

They have the Wusthof name on them but they are not to be confused with the proper forged Wusthofs.

If you want a throwaway set of plastic handled cheap knives then these will be as good as any but do not confuse these with proper knives

Alan

I looked at those once as a gift, did the research and didnt buy them. Too many poor quality reviews.

another thing you may want to re-think is the set itself. there is absolutely no reason to buy a 10 piece set. you really only need a chefs knife and a paring knife. some would argue that a bread knife is needed but its debatable. my opinion would be to only buy the knives you are going to use. pick up a decent forged chef knife and a usable paring knife and go from there. its much better to get two knives that you will use and spend the money on them rather than buying a bunch of knives that will sit in a block in your kitchen.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Yeah, it's definitely better to buy a couple of good knives than an entire set. I'd say most people use a 6-10 inch chefs knife and a 3-6 inch parer-type knife. After that, maybe an 8+ inch bread knife. Block sets are designed to get you to pay more for stuff that you'll never use. Whether Wusthof is right for you, is another discussion entirely.

First, buy one. good. knife.

Thank you for all your advices. It seems that it's absolutely not a good idea to buy this knife set. But I'm curious if there is anyone using this knife set who can tell me the real feeling about it. I know most of you think the stamped knife is not as good as folged ones. But is stamped knife really so bad? Besides, if I buy an expensive chef knife I'm probably not willing to do tough work with it and always take good care of it which will make me tired sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by lomelanieve View Post
    Thank you for all your advices. It seems that it's absolutely not a good idea to buy this knife set. But I'm curious if there is anyone using this knife set who can tell me the real feeling about it. I know most of you think the stamped knife is not as good as folged ones. But is stamped knife really so bad? Besides, if I buy an expensive chef knife I'm probably not willing to do tough work with it and always take good care of it which will make me tired sometime.
    Forged knives are not "better" than stamped knives per se, it's a moot point. If you want to buy some cheap knives which are decent performers, and that you don't have to worry about, get some Forschners (Victorinox).

You will not find anyone on the forum who would have much experience with that Wusthof set.

Dont misunderstand what everyone is saying though, there is nothing wrong with stamped knives, the are great for starter knives its just that bying a set like that is not the way to go. You will end up with several useless knives that never get used. The way to go is buy a good stamped chef knife, parer/utility and bread knife, if you look at the following link you can buy a 8/10 chef, bread and 4 inch parer set for around $60 which fits your budget. These knives are great quality and are typical of knives used in probably 90% of the worlds professional kitchens, you can beat the crap out of them and they will last for years.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...efix=forschner