Quantcast
Advice on wusthof knife set - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on wusthof knife set

Many excellent knives are essentially the same as stamped. I'd lump them in with anything made from a sheet of steel. My understanding is forging really has very little significance when it comes to mass-produced knives. Furthermore, you need not spend a lot of money to get an outstanding performer. What is your total cutlery budget?

Thank you very much for you recommendation. It seems to be a pretty good choice according to my budget.

You really don't have to take care of it with any extreme measures. It's easy to be intimidated by knife enthusiasts, always sharpening, polishing and stuff...but it's totally not required for a lot of high end knives.

Really, what is your budget? Those sets are the worst. Buy one good knife, you'll never look back.

I have to say that I was attracted by this wusthof knife set only because of the price and name. Now I see it's not a good choice. About my budget, I would say 60$ for some daily use knives. So the victorinox seems to fit my budget well. I also would like to buy a decent knife after some more learning.

That's good, and also inevitable. Buying a knife that is $50 won't last forever...it's just not enough money to get a permanent purchase(I mean, that IS only 6.6 hours at minimum wage). What's ironic is that you can buy a $50 knife that, despite the warranty(which is more financial management than craftsmanship), I've been told by brand and store reps "will last about 5 years", or you can spend 2-3 times that, and get a knife that will last the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by lomelanieve View Post
    ...I also would like to buy a decent knife after some more learning.
    See you when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    That's good, and also inevitable. Buying a knife that is $50 won't last forever...it's just not enough money to get a permanent purchase(I mean, that IS only 6.6 hours at minimum wage). What's ironic is that you can buy a $50 knife that, despite the warranty(which is more financial management than craftsmanship), I've been told by brand and store reps "will last about 5 years", or you can spend 2-3 times that, and get a knife that will last the rest of your life.
    A $80 Fujiwara FKH gyuto will last a life time as well if properly treated.

I don't get this life span stuff. I have a Forschner 8 inch chef's that I acquired from a pawn shop in the late 80's or early 90's. It was the most used knife in my kichen by far up until I got my Takeda around the start of this year. I kept it sharp with a Henckels steel, and a fairly rare sharpening on Arkensas stones. The blade looks like it did when I got it. The softness of the steel in the blade allowed the steel to burnish the edge without removing noticeable metal.
    The knife had been left in the pawn shop with a briefcase of knives and other tools that a chef would have. As far as I can tell you would have to use a belt sander on it on a daily basis to wear it out.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Nah. It just means you have a high pain threshold when it comes to less than astonishingly sharp edges, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    A $80 Fujiwara FKH gyuto will last a life time as well if properly treated.
    True that. There are notable exceptions, but the Fujiwara and Tojiros of the world will still suffer from handle scales shrinking, a level of acceptable over/undergrinding. I mean, they are at least made so they can be maintained...you can only sharpen a Wusthof so much before maintenance is more work than it is worth.