Belomo 20x loupe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I love this little loupe. I use it from inspecting my edges to looking at the grain in destruction test to just look at things. :) I carry it in my pocket, and find always something to look at, rocks, leaves, etc.

20x-Quadruplet-Loupe-Magnifier-BelOMO.gif

Thought some of you might find it a good and inexpensive alternative to a microscope (hint tk59).

This is a quality product - probably still made on German technology and equipment from 1920-30 that was removed from occupied Germany after WWII as war reparations. Made in Belarus.

I've had a 10x triplet from them for at least 12 yrs and have used the hell out of it. I think it's the best bang for the buck triplet in that size to be found. I've wondered about the 20x and now you've got me wondering again - thanks!

Haha. You're a little late, Marko. A few months ago I bought a half dozen different, inexpensive loupes off of amazon. I'm good. Still, you can't beat a microscope for some things. It's just a PITA to do at work.

Haha. You're a little late, Marko. A few months ago I bought a half dozen different, inexpensive loupes off of amazon. I'm good. Still, you can't beat a microscope for some things. It's just a PITA to do at work.

Half a dozen? I bought one, but a quality one. :laughat:
$32(shipping included).

Why is that funny? I'm the same about everything. Haven't you heard about my knife thing?:O

That loupe would look a lot better if it was clad in a nice stainelss steel damascus... And the handle really should be replaced with a nice wood one... And it needs a carved wood storage box...

I've been wanted to get a loupe, but wasn't sure which ones were better than the super cheap ones. The cheap ones all appear to be nearly identical, but range in price from a couple bucks to $20+ depending on who is selling them.

The distortion (maybe not the correct terminology) is the thing that shows different between loupes. Most the el-cheapos look fish eyed where the Belamo looks pretty normal. Also most triplets will have smaller fields of view (again maybe an incorrect trem) that the Belamo has.

Look for a aplanatic lens. It gives you a distortion-free view.

Thanks for information about Aplanatic lens.
O/T - Years ago at a photagraphy forum O/P asked about differences between perspectives and depth-of-field. The answers were – #1 No, #2 Yes, #3 You are asking the wrong question - followed by a lecture, #4 I’m confused and have same questions…..the thread ended with arguments about which lens is best to fry eggs using the sunlight.

I looked into loops about 5 years ago and got the Belano also (10) - great loupe . I can't believe they are so popular. But I guess the quality is similar to $100+ ones. About 30 years ago I was visiting a friend who had a Zeiss binocular and couldn't believe the breathtaking views and accuracy fine optics had over the $200 binoculars I had. Since then I have bought 5 great binoculars, my favorite is actually the best priced, Nikon 8x32 Superior E (not waterproof, old school looking) but amazing.

I bought a cheap loupe on dealextreme. It probably sucks but I don't have anything to compare it to and looks good to me. I think it was like $3 haha

Is there a concensus about which is better for examining a knife edge -- 10x or 20x? I plan to get one or the other Belomo, but don't know which.

Keith

I got 20X as primary purpose for me is to look at the steel grain, but it seems to worm well with edges too.

M

I have a cheapo 20x. It is very distorted around the edges and the depth of field is very shallow. So at that magnification, you really have to have a steady hand.

How is the depth of field on the Belomo compared to the cheaper ones?

Goofin around with a Belomo 20x loupe + crappy Blackberry camera:

IMG-20111121-00149.jpg

IMG-20111121-00150.jpg

IMG-20111121-00152.jpg

IMG-20111121-00153.jpg

IMG-20111121-00143.jpg

Fuzzy background is felt strop. Some images also have the BB camera zoomed in some.

Maybe that gives you some idea of 20x and depth of field. There is very little distortion towards the edges (most of the distortion in the photos above are the BB camera not focusing properly). You do need to have a steady hand and hold the loupe close to your eye or close to the edge (or a bit of both) to focus it. I have not used a 10x loupe, but I think the 20x would be more useful for closely inspecting your edges, even if it is a little more effort to inspect the area you want.

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful. 20x on the way.

Pretty good photos from a Blackberry!

Keith

Thanks Johnny! The DOF, clarity, and distortion all look much better than my ebay loop. Tonight, afterI get done placing my order for my new Belomo, Ill try to take some photos with my el cheapo special for comparison.

Just curious. How do you pronounce "Loupe"?

Loop?
Loop-eh?
Lope?

I don't want to walk in the store and ask for one, and then they look at me funny or laugh :(

EDIT: Oh wait. I think it's pronounced "Loop". Courtesy of this page, which I will now use probably every day :p http://www.howjsay.com/ Seems pretty dang helpful, because I always make a fool out of myself.

loupe
 Pronounced as  [loop] Show IPA
noun
any of several varieties of magnifying glasses, used by jewelers and watchmakers, of from 2 to 20 power and intended to fit in the eye socket, to be attached to spectacles, or to be held in the hand.
Origin:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loupe

there is a speaker icon... for your listening pleasure...

I got mine off of some vendor on amazon... 30some bucks.

Here's a 2nd attempt (last one is broken for some reason) at posting a picture taken with my cheapo 10x loupe. You can really see the shallow DOF and distortion around the edges vs Johnny's 20x Belomo pics.
20111212_220643.jpg

Back