Tilman ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMan

Reaction score
A handful of people here have Tilman’s. What’re your thoughts?
I’m thinking about contacting him re: a 240.
Am I right that Niolox is his specialty?
Thanks!

Having my third made now...but first in Niolox. If you prefer carbon, his treatment of 1.2442 rivals anything I've tried. Yes to Niolox being what he's known for but again I've not tried it yet. Thinnest tip imaginable but still a stiff knife. Can't recommend him enough.

Thanks. Good to hear.
I'll have to hold off till you get the one in niolox so I can ask you to compare...
Do you find the 1.2442 pretty close to Blue#1? Noticeable differences?
How would you describe the grind?

I have a 250 carbon gyuto that’s crazy. It’s a really good knife. Stiff laser, thin behind the edge. Great f&f

Thanks. Good to hear.
I'll have to hold off till you get the one in niolox so I can ask you to compare...
Do you find the 1.2442 pretty close to Blue#1? Noticeable differences?
How would you describe the grind?

Read Turbo's description...it's spot on. I'd say its somewhat similar to blue steel, mine was right around 65 and done perfectly imo.

Tilman makes awesome knives, I have had 2 from him both in Niolox, both great knives.
Great guy to deal with as well.

I like what I'm hearing...
Did you guys go full-custom mode and dictate most specs or just let him run with it?

Is there a link? I couldn’t find him on google? Or here

Gotta use google using the knife-buying 3D glasses.
They come enclosed with a Tanaka.
So you might have to buy one of those first.

I like what I'm hearing...
Did you guys go full-custom mode and dictate most specs or just let him run with it?

I went with custom profile to my tastes and let Tilman do his thing w/ ht, grind/thickness, finish...

Gotta use google using the knife-buying 3D glasses.
They come enclosed with a Tanaka.
So you might have to buy one of those first.

Yeah, I've definitely owned more Tanakas than anything else...and those glasses are super special.

I have a 250 carbon gyuto that’s crazy. It’s a really good knife. Stiff laser, thin behind the edge. Great f&f

Since it's laser-y, you have any significant issues with stiction? Or does he balance thinness with a little convex?

It's a very good balance...I hate the stiction of lasers which is part of what makes these knives special.

Back