Sandoku needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexec

Reaction score
Anything better on my budget than takamura r2?

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Santoku
Are you right or left handed?
Right handed
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Any
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Any
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
250$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Multi purpose
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
N/a

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Rock chop, push pull, slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? N/a
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Maximum

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

The much better usable tip. Profile suited for 'guillotine and glide'. Most santokus I sharpen have a damaged tip due to the poor landing.

Could agree! But shapewise cant you pull push faster and better with sandoku yourself?

Could agree! But shapewise cant you pull push faster and better with sandoku yourself?

Didn't notice. Have used for years a Hiromoto AS 190 at home, but that one wasn't too flat and had a usable tip.
A lot of gyutos have a pretty low tip, see here a 180 Masahiro. Sometimes small gyutos and santokus have a very similar profile.

Didn't notice. Have used for years a Hiromoto AS 190 at home, but that one wasn't too flat and had a usable tip.
A lot of gyutos have a pretty low tip, see here a 180 Masahiro. Sometimes small gyutos and santokus have a very similar profile.
Food for thought! Thanks for feeding me, ill gladly make a research

Isn't the Wakui one exactly the kind of santoku profile that would prove your point of "just get a 7 in gyuto"? IMHO the best santoku is something almost like a nakiri with an emergency tip... and used like a nakiri too.

If you can stretch your budget a bit more or find a deal used, a 210 Takeda gyuto is the ultimate santoku IMO. But if you want to keep it smaller and on budget, also consider the Ashi / Gesshin Ginga santoku. Thin (but not quite as thin as the Takamura) and stainless, and still nice to sharpen.

Unless it's a Takeda, in which case it's a 210 santoku. As far as I can tell, the only significant difference between the small Takeda gyuto and the Takeda santoku is that the former is longer. And I like a bit of extra length on a santoku profile. Maybe it's not technically a santoku, but it's not a standard gyuto either. It's kind of an oversized santoku-gyuto hybrid that can have excellent food release despite its formidable height.

IIRC Those wide chef knifes are neither santoku nor gyuto,
they are a differnt knife shape referred to as Komagiri.

Unless it's a Takeda, in which case it's a 210 santoku. As far as I can tell, the only significant difference between the small Takeda gyuto and the Takeda santoku is that the former is longer. And I like a bit of extra length on a santoku profile. Maybe it's not technically a santoku, but it's not a standard gyuto either. It's kind of an oversized santoku-gyuto hybrid that can have excellent food release despite its formidable height.

Every vendor is out of stock. Seems nice and cant find it anywhere

Have you ever considered a Bunka. It’s like a Santoku with a nice thin tip!

That is a good looking santoku.

:) KA blue steel Masamoto

Masamoto_KA_Kurouchi_Wa_Santoku.JPG

Serious question, wheres the line between Santoku/Gyuto? That Masamoto Santoku looks awesome

I always thought that a santoku of a similar length (say 180) would be a bit taller in the heel with a somewhat flatter profile and a slightly more awkward tip? I'd probably choose a santoku at that length.

That said, I remember Lucretia posting pics of various santokus and gyutos from her collection and it was rather difficult to say which was which.:wink:

There's not really a strong line, but santoku tend to be shorter and taller and have a sheepsfoot blade shape. They also tend to have flatter profiles than most gyutos, but that depends on the gyuto and santoku in question.

take a gyuto 240

cut off the front = santoku
cut off the heel = short gyuto

:lol2:

That being said, some are
pretty good in each format
obviously designed
properly

Latest posts

Back