Quantcast
New Santoku
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Santoku

New Santoku

So after much deliberation and a new handbag (for Mrs) it's time to buy a Santoku.
    Been looking at the Tanaka Santoku Ironwood at JCK for ages however does anyone have any better ideas ?

any reason why you want a santoku over a gyuto? gyutos are a bit more versatile

I have a 240 Tanaka Ironwood gyuto and I have to say it is the best knife I own.
    The R2 steel gets super sharp and the edge will out live any of my other knives.
    If you decide to get one of these you will not be sorry.
    I must also say there are a lot of nice knives out there that are more economical, but if money is not a concern go for the Tanaka.

That Tanaka santoku is a pretty nice looking piece of cutlery, but it's kind of pricy. Why select a santoku over a gyuto? I wouldn't try to talk you out of getting a santoku, but I am wondering deciding factors steered you to the santoku.

While I've never handled these knives from the looks of it this santoku isn't as much of a drop nose as some. It has a more slender pointed tip that seems to go up and not down. I think this would be an awesome purchase for a santoku lover, especially as its tip limits the functionality and versatility line between gyutos and santokus.

Hi, thanks for the replies, I already own a 240 Tanaka Gyuto and a Nakiri so I know how good these knives are.
    I have three Gyutos already so do not feel I need another one yet, my small Global santoku is becoming first choice when I only need to prep small quantities

When you say "better ideas" are you asking for an alternative to a 165-ish mm santoku? or an alternative to a Tanaka santoku?

Guess I was thinking of an alternative to the Tanaka

Take a look at Murray Carter's Wa-bocho!

Or even a funayuki...or a petty....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com