Quantcast
Zwilling Bob Kramer Carbon Damascus 8" Chefs Knife - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zwilling Bob Kramer Carbon Damascus 8" Chefs Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    Hmmm. Well, each knife is already "1 of 1." That's pretty clear I think; do I really need to etch that on to each piece? It'd be easy enough to do, but wouldn't that seem a little... I don't know... cheesy? Manipulative?

-M
    Absolutely; just a funny point. It's definitely a given, and my earlier point was this exactly; why so much for a factory when I could get a full off 1 of 1 custom? Seem silly, to me at least. But, I'm sure all 250 will sell in a flash....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I suspect the 250 who would buy this knife know nothing about the world of customs except maybe for BK -- and this knife looks like a bargain compared to a full custom from him (plus no 3 year wait). Thanks to the Internet and these forums, many of us have been able to learn about many other custom makers and obtain knife at a much lower price point. I feel sorry for those who do not know anything beyond the SlT or Chef's catalogs that arrive in the mail, as they buy into a lot of gimmicky products and overpay for artisan versions of the necessary ones. When SlT rolls out BK-approved damascus fish tongs, they will probably cost $500

And I'm surprised no one has commented on the $300 BK sink bridge yet!

Hmmm. Well, each knife is already "1 of 1." That's pretty clear I think; do I really need to etch that on to each piece? It'd be easy enough to do, but wouldn't that seem a little... I don't know... cheesy? Manipulative?

-M
    Haha, it would be both of those. Don't worry, I was being sarcastic.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    And I'm surprised no one has commented on the $300 BK sink bridge yet!
    We did.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I was trying to find that, stupid search function.

So, curious: when the 250 knives are all gone, don't you think they'll just start over with a different blade? That's what I would do if I was running that kind of show. So, that really means that this whole 1/250 thing is just kind of a marketing ploy, isn't it? (Rhetorical question.)

So, who really cares about the number game here?

-M

So, curious: when the 250 knives are all gone, don't you think they'll just start over with a different blade? That's what I would do if I was running that kind of show. So, that really means that this whole 1/250 thing is just kind of a marketing ploy, isn't it? (Rhetorical question.)

So, who really cares about the number game here?

-M
    SLT($), Karmer($) and most importantly (at least for those two entities), the new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Whoops -- forgot that it was.

I fail to understand the collective hostility toward this knife line. I have to wonder if it is a case of "everyone hates a winner." Kramer seems to be well regarded and it seems to me he wouldn't put his name on something that would tarnish his reputation. Custom work has intrinsic value but that doesn't make factory produced work inferior by default. Something has to be said for the ability to produce 250 units exactly the same, exactly to spec. Interesting that a Chef who can produce a dish repeatedly the same, day in day out, is well respected, but a knife producer not. I think there is room in this world, and a market, for hproduction knives, limited production knives and custom knives.

Perhaps there are sheep on both sides of the fence?

-AJ

Well, I own a Zwilling Kramer carbon; and really, really like it. It's a great shape, great steel, great F&F, and the distal taper is perfect- best I've ever seen.

That being said, my main point was I would rather get a true Kramer custom carbon over a Kramer damascus factory.... would be more special.

I think people have a hard time swallowing the cost of these things. It's akin to paying a fortune for one bite of some fru-fru gastronomic crap to me.... I'll take the short ribs and risotto, please.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com