Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Zwilling Bob Kramer Carbon Damascus 8" Chefs Knife

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I think the euroline Karmer is a great knife as well.

But I also think it needs a new name for its rather unique profile, it's not a gyuto, it is a nakari with a point - so a nyuto????
    ???

How about "Chef's Knife"--seems rather obvious to me. :scratch head:

"Gyuto" is the Japanese term for a European chef's knife. Why would you call a European chef's knife a gyuto let alone a nakiri???

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    It has a cleaver feel at the heel, and the best tip you will ever see. They are great knives. I've owned one, made multiple pieces for them, and every time, I'm impressed.
    I held a regular 52100 carbon steel Kramer at a store once and was impressed. F&F, grind, etc. all seems top notch. I've even been contemplating picking one up "for fun", which is saying a lot for a minimalist like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    It has a cleaver feel at the heel, and the best tip you will ever see. They are great knives. I've owned one, made multiple pieces for them, and every time, I'm impressed.
    Which size Chef's do you have?

Go with the 52100. I have the slicer, 8"and 10" chef knives in carbon. Had an 8" Damascus but returned it. The carbon is just better in every way, and thinner with a finer distal taper towards the tip. I also have the parer in Damascus which I do like.

But the profile is so different then any of my other chefs knives, and certainly nothing like any gyuto I own. it seems a unique profile to me but of course I haven't seen every profile :- ).

I use it like a nakari actually - for cutting veggies

why does the handle curve downward?

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    But the profile is so different then any of my other chefs knives, and certainly nothing like any gyuto I own. it seems a unique profile to me but of course I haven't seen every profile :- ).

I use it like a nakari actually - for cutting veggies

The profile is exactly the same as most German chef's knives.

Of course the steel and grind are a lot better, hence why they have good cutting properties, but the cutting profile (cutting edge) is the same.

Not sure what you mean when you say you use it like a nakari (sic). I use my chef's knife for cutting vegetables too

Oh just that the blade was so darn wide, I just looked at it and it's wider than my Tojiro Nakari!

I hadn't thought about old fashioned german knives, haven't used one since I got turned on to j-knives

I had the 10", but sold it because I have an addiction. It's a knife that I might buy again, if the price is right. The profile is very German. In fact, we have a Henckels chef's knife at the hall with the same profile and it's the knife I use when I don't feel like taking out my Harner.

The tip position is higher than a J-knife would typically have, but it works, and works wonderfully. Honestly, I could have live with only my ZKramer as my chef knife, and I wouldn't have felt lacking in any way. One thing to keep in mind, however, is the sticktion. A tall profile like this one has often results in sticktion. Meh...an easy trade off, in my mind.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Lefty, please explain. I do understand that with a poor grinding there is more risk of sticking, and a taller profile combined with that poor grinding will only make things worse. On a narrower blade it won't be noticeable, fair enough.
    But does it has to do with a higher or lower tip, and more or less belly?