Zwilling Bob Kramer Carbon Damascus 8" Chefs Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
They just couldn't leave a good thing alone:

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

250 made, unknown carbon steel, $1800.

Made in Germany! You know the Germans make good stuff.

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

Pretty cool. "Fire-welded" and a real Kramer pin, to boot! Some Germans make really good stuff. :)

But you get free shipping....

Pretty cool. "Fire-welded" and a real Kramer pin, to boot! Some Germans make really good stuff. :)

Yeah. Like Shamwows.

Did "African Blackwood" not sound fancy enough, so they referred to it as "Grenadille" instead? Racists!!

Grenadille is the more precise name. At least in a german translation "African Blackwood" would be "African Ebony" and Grenadille is not from the Ebony Family, but a kind of Palisander.

Grenadille is the more precise name. At least in a german translation "African Blackwood" would be "African Ebony" and Grenadille is not from the Ebony Family, but a kind of Palisander.

I stand corrected then. I had read it was interchangeable and used to describe african blackwood and some similar ones.

yep. grenadilla (the stuff clarinets and oboes are usually made of) is a different wood.

Yes it is interchangeable, but strictly speaking not correct. At least not from a botanical point of view.

Looks pretty nice. Sure is expensive.

Probably made in the same place. Different blade profile though.

But you get free shipping....

My favorite thing about Sur La Table is how they always display the "value" of the item in question (in this case $2,100) next to the price ($1,800). Very helpful to know you are getting a great deal and coming out ahead on every transaction. ;)

So @ $1800 for a factory made, how much more would it be to get a real handmade carbon (non damascus) Kramer??

(Kind of reminds me of the old professional athlete adage, if you make two hundred million dollars, are you really richer than if you made 100 million?)

Point is, if you've got 2 g's to drop on a knife, than you've probably got 3 or 4 g's, too....so who is this targeted towards?

i would say it's targeted at people who want to buy "the ultimate cutlery gift." :)

Here is a person I use a lot in my lectures (I hold one this week for a rather large audience)...

Joshua Bell!
Joshua-Bell_450.jpg

When I ask my audience about who this is, nobody knows. And then I tell them who he is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Bell

And then I go into the washington Post experiment...

Then I sum up..

Its all about branding and marketing.

I hope I see my fav makers come together and starting to brand and marketing. This place is not a webstore, this is a forum. Huge difference...

Nice. My custom damascus integrals are less than that. I guess it's time for a raise.

-M

Oivind

Not sure what your talking about.

I recognized Joshua Bell immediately, ive seen him numerous times with Chicago symphony orchestra, there is nothing wrong with his branding, he paid $4 million for his violin !!

Oivind

Not sure what your talking about.

I recognized Joshua Bell immediately, ive seen him numerous times with Chicago symphony orchestra, there is nothing wrong with his branding, he paid $4 million for his violin !!

Sorry for being so unclear :)

Joshua had an experiment known as washington Post experiment. He played at a subway station for an hour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnOPu0_YWhw

He is unknown for most people, and put out of his element (a stage) and into a subway shows how much branding and marketing actually means.

Alright, I didn't read the entire article, it's 7,500 words. Still, I don't think it is the best example for "how much branding and marketing actually means."

Oivind

Thats true of just about anyone famous.

Mother Teresa or The pope could walk down the average street if they were wearing levi's and a hoodie !!

99% of what we spend money on is dictated by branding and marketing, i think this forum though is not really about branding.

Alan

Oivind

Thats true of just about anyone famous.

Mother Teresa or The pope could walk down the average street if they were wearing levi's and a hoodie !!

99% of what we spend money on is dictated by branding and marketing, i think this forum though is not really about branding.

Alan

i think Mother Teresa would raise eyebrows even in Levis and a hoody, given that she's dead and all.

i think Mother Teresa would raise eyebrows even in Levis and a hoody, given that she's dead and all.
I'd bet money you wouldn't recognize her on a busy or even not particularly busy street. :razz:

I like how they say the knife is 'certified' by bob kramer to meet his standards.

Maybe Dave should hire a bunch of sharpeners and then he can 'certify' that the edges meet his standards. This way he can create a little sharpening sweat shop in PA and spend all of his time churning out knives ;)

k.

Hmmm. Well, each knife is already "1 of 1." That's pretty clear I think; do I really need to etch that on to each piece? It'd be easy enough to do, but wouldn't that seem a little... I don't know... cheesy? Manipulative?

-M

I think the points about branding and marketing are spot on. If your branding and marketing are well-known, you do not actually need to have talent. Maybe that's why so many people look on marketing people with a jaundiced eye.

(Not that BK doesn't have talent -- he sure seems to make a nice knife, and some of Zwelling's factory repros aren't half bad for the price)

Back