How many gyutos do you have??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
So i am also addicted to high end knives now.

I have been thinking about getting a few more to add.

Masamoto KS 240 or something comparable maybe Heji or Mizuno? For gyuto i like thin but strong. (i have a Kono 240, i like the length but i have been wanting to try out a 270 although if i went masamoto i believe i have heard they run long so i should be ok with the 240 right?)

I like to only get knives i can use for at work considering i don't cook at home, i would like to have a spare gyuto in my bag.

Going to purchase a deba from JKI eventually but don't really need it right now.

Also want to get another suji, i have a 240 misono that i like a lot, but I'm thinking of getting a 270, Kono HD, Masamoto KS not sure

And possibly a funyaki but i have no idea which one any ideas?

Uh... I've got 12 of them with a 13th in the works. Oh s***, no, 14 with a 15 on the way. Jeez.

i have too many and not nearly enough. the Mizunos are nice knives, but i find the 270 to be too long, and the 240 would be too short. same with Konosuke. it's why i ended up selling my Miz and Kono. knives like Shigefusa, Yoshikane and Kochi measure edge length, not from ferrule to tip, and i find the 250 blade length on these nominally 240mm knives to be perfect (i have an example of each). i imagine the Heiji would be the same way. i just got a 240 Masamoto today, and it is longer than 240. it feels about right, so i bet it's around 250. i find the Western 240s to have the right length blade, but i prefer wa handles (i keep a 240 Hattori FH so that i have a stainless gyuto on hand). the 10 inch Sabatier carbon chef feels great, but you may not be interested in those if you only want Japanese. i have a 270mm Carter suji that i wish was just a tad longer, but that's mostly because i'm used to a 300mm yanagi.

maybe 11-12 in my personal collection... its funny, but i think i have more yanagibas than anything... something like 15-16 ;)

main point is that others here shadow my collection and they dont even sell knives for a living ;) You still have room to grow :p

I'm confused. Do you want to know how many gyutos I have or which one you should buy next? If you have a Konosuke, you should get a Heiji or Zakuri, imo. These are hefty knives that are awesome cutters. I'm sure there are others but these are the ones that have impressed me the most of what I've tried out. I'll have to count gyutos when I get back home but it's around 15 for sure.

maybe 11-12 in my personal collection... its funny, but i think i have more yanagibas than anything... something like 15-16 ;)

main point is that others here shadow my collection and they dont even sell knives for a living ;) You still have room to grow :p

i've always had to sell knives before buying more to keep from getting a boot up my ass, otherwise i think i would have 12 or 13 gyutos. only one yanagi, though i want more, as they are very fun knives. hard to justify, since i don't really use it that often.

i agree with tk that a heftier knife would be a good counterpoint to the Kono. the kitaeji V2 Yoshikane that Aframes sells is the equal of my Shigefusa, though perhaps not quite as nice, for a lot less money. a Heiji or Kochi from Jon would also be a great choice.

I'm confused. Do you want to know how many gyutos I have or which one you should buy next? If you have a Konosuke, you should get a Heiji or Zakuri, imo. These are hefty knives that are awesome cutters. I'm sure there are others but these are the ones that have impressed me the most of what I've tried out. I'll have to count gyutos when I get back home but it's around 15 for sure.

Im curious to see what others have and trying to figure out which knives i may want to add to my collection.

I think a heftier knife would possible be more justifiable to spend the money on. I do like the Hejis but haven't heard much about Kochi.

Also i think 250 would be about right for me as well, i find the KONO HD just a tad short when trying to do certain things. Although i think a 270 is pretty long.

John id love to get a yanagiba although i need to practice on some single bevel knives before i jump into purchasing one. I also dont really have a use for it although than id like to have one haha.

Im curious to see what others have and trying to figure out which knives i may want to add to my collection.

I think a heftier knife would possible be more justifiable to spend the money on. I do like the Hejis but haven't heard much about Kochi.

Also i think 250 would be about right for me as well, i find the KONO HD just a tad short when trying to do certain things. Although i think a 270 is pretty long.
A Kochi is not a hefty knife per se. It is forged so it is thicker at the spine near the handle but make no mistake, it is a thin knife, just not as flexible as most of the so-called lasers. It's actually thinner near the edge than any laser (Kon, Suisin, IT, etc)

i like my Kochi much more than i liked my Konosuke. that flexibility drives me nuts for general tasks.

few. i like you guys - always making me feel sane. Well, either sane or inadequate. for the sake of my bank account i'm sticking with sane.

I'm at 4 right now, down from five. Actually looking to sell 2 of em to get another though. so then it'd be 3.

How thick/hefty are the Heiji's ?

if im understanding the blade is very tapered so although its thicker on the spine it tapers to be very sharp

Alan

I have only a dozen, but in four or five different sizes.... (and maybe one on the way :poke1::poke1:).

I'm at 3 right now: Ichimonji TKC 240 and 270, Hiromoto AS 240. Just traded DT ITK Western 240 in anticipation of Delbert Ealy 240 arrival.

I didn't know so many of you had so many gyutos! However, since I'm a pro I've also got 2 suji, 2 paring, 1 petty, 1 honesuki, 1 nakiri, 1 cleaver and 1 bread knife.

The Kochi seems like a nice knife, it seems to be a tall blade, is this true or does it use appear that way?

it's on the taller side, but not abnormally so. certainly not as tall as a Takeda.

My goal was to have one carbon and one stainless gyuto each of 210, 225, 240, and 270mm. Got there but decided it's too much, so now I am down to 6 plus a German chef's knife. Plenty of other knives that help me with my humble cooking efforts.

Stefan

4 gyuto's - 1 French Chef - 1 Butcher Scimitar - 1 Nakiri - 1 Cleaver - 2 Yanagiba - 2 SB Wa-Petty - 1 Mishirobi Deba - 1 Usuba - 10ish Petty's

And still counting :)

You can never have enough!

I have 3 240s, 1 270, and 1 soon to be 2 210s. i also split my collection tween work n home, so, I guess i need more.

I've got the number down to (had to get up and look) 4

Hiromoto AS Wa Gyuto 300
LR Harner Gyuto 270
Hiromoto HC Gyuto 240
Kochi Gyuto 210

So far I don't have any repetition and that works for me at this time, who knows what the future will bring lol...

My Kochi, being a 210, is nice and ridged with a very thin edge. I also like a ridgid gyuto. Flex in a knife I dont want flex in would be a deal breaker for me. Unless it was a takeda that I wanted anyway :p than I would learn how to deal with it :)

I only have one gyuto but I'm really tempted by the Kochi line at JKI. If Jon gets in more in 240 I might have to buy one!

here is a pic of the Kochi (on the left) versus some other typical knives. perhaps it will help people determine the blade shape a little better than a pic of the knife alone. it really isn't tall, actually, it just doesn't narrow as much towards the tip.

click to make bigger

Latest posts

Back