Where can I find a storage case for stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac36555

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to find a storage case for my whetstones when I’m not using them. Any help would be appreciated!

Any small plastic container, Rubbermaid, et al, will work - sized for your stones. I keep a little rubber shelf liner with them to keep stones from banging into each other and to put under them when using. Make sure they dry completely between uses.

To travel with them an ammo type holder from a sporting goods store will provide padding.

Idk where you live but here we have Dollar General (Walmart has them too) that carries these little plastic totes that you can get to house each stone individually or large enough for many. Me, I use bamboo shoe racks. I store my favorite dozen or so stones beside my prep table. :p

Idk where you live but here we have Dollar General (Walmart has them too) that carries these little plastic totes that you can get to house each stone individually or large enough for many. Me, I use bamboo shoe racks. I store my favorite dozen or so stones beside my prep table. :p

You sir have a problem! A stone problem!

You sir have a problem! A stone problem!

LOL! I tried all kinds of ways to store my stones that weren't permasoaking. Then one day I read a post where Kit mentioned the bamboo dish rack. I found a two level, 18" long one, it sits on the side of my bench and holds all my most used synthetics and naturals. There's even room right under it for some koppas, naguras and diamond plates. No problem, LOL

Heres what I do with my set:
VkFgurQ.jpg

As you can see since I am still new at this I still have a sane amount of stones (for now at least)
1LNjRcK.jpg

All goes in there, tucks under the sink, and if you ever need to sharpen away from the home setting you will be ready.

Heres what I do with my set:
VkFgurQ.jpg

As you can see since I am still new at this I still have a sane amount of stones (for now at least)
1LNjRcK.jpg

All goes in there, tucks under the sink, and if you ever need to sharpen away from the home setting you will be ready.

Nope, you have more than your basic king combo so you are already down the rabbit hole with the rest of us. Besides, I see a natural stone. That is an automatic disqualification for the claim of sanity. :tease:

Nope, you have more than your basic king combo so you are already down the rabbit hole with the rest of us. Besides, I see a natural stone. That is an automatic disqualification for the claim of sanity. :tease:

No kidding? Oh boy,I think I am really in big doo doo then.
Hey Xenif,move over,here I come.......:running:

I blame all of you guys! Do I need a SP2K? Not really but I keep hearing how awesome it is from you Kit, so I bought one [emoji14]
Now that Ive had a taste of jnats, I can't go back, just this morning I bought my first Okudo Suita, so I might need to upgrade to a bigger case, like the one Panda posted.

I blame all of you guys! Do I need a SP2K? Not really but I keep hearing how awesome it is from you Kit, so I bought one [emoji14]
Now that Ive had a taste of jnats, I can't go back, just this morning I bought my first Okudo Suita, so I might need to upgrade to a bigger case, like the one Panda posted.

Kit rubbed off on you too hey?:laughat:

I do like my SP2k. Hope you like it and that Okudo!

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/super-LUX.html

i bought this stuff. in the 2" thick 1/4 sheet. I have my stones packed into 7" deep rubbermade tubs with a solid sheet on the top and bottom and a middle sheet cut out with inserts to store the stones in so they cant bump into each other or get knocked around in closets. i have the locking lid ones. ive literally had them fall off counter tops and have no issues.

also since its open cell foam i can put the stones away rinsed and they will dry and will not mold.

i keep 1 tub with the 4 most common stones i use under the kitchen sink and then i have other less commonly used stones in 2 other tubs in the closet upstairs.

also, the 1/4 sheet of foam is a lot of foam and its a very usefull thing to have around the house for packing/shipping and also to store other stuff in boxes in closets too.

Do you have any kids?

I used these boxes a few time for travelling, you can put in 2 stones in:

avl50P6.jpg

Do you have any kids?

I used these boxes a few time for travelling, you can put in 2 stones in:

avl50P6.jpg
So Im not the only one! That orange tool box I use was actually a toy homedepot tool box I liberated from my 4yr old.

I like Plano boxes for my sporting good storage (hunting/fishing, etc.) and that's what I use for my sharpening supplies. Quality molded storage for fair prices, in my experience.

Back